The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2018, 12:57 PM   #1
Dannyboy1966

Fuel Tank and aftermarket EFI

Have a long winded question so bare with me. I'm getting a new 350 crate engine for my blue beast and a new 700R4. I'm also thinking about pulling the trigger and buying an aftermarket EFI system, Fytech, Holley Sniper, or Fast, Comments on which you think? I want to go with the intank fuel pump. Since the 1986 didn't have throttle body, Will the 1987 or 88 R/V 20 gallon tanks work on my tank straps? and How hard is it to wire the pumps in since I have dual tanks?
Dannyboy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:22 PM   #2
SunSoaked

Re: Fuel Tank and aftermarket EFI

I just installed the Sniper on a vortec 350 in my 85 k20. I'm using the Edelbrock remote sump system since I have dual tanks and wanted to keep the pump/wiring simple. That part works great. However, Do Not think the self-learning EFI systems (Holley/FI Tech or otherwise) are as plug and play as they say. If your lucky, it will fire and run ok. If you want it to run like factory tbi, there is a significant amount of tuning required. The tuning manual for Sniper is 45 pages. And, you will need the $50 dongle/can cable to connect it to a laptop. Viewing data logs and fuel tables on the 3.5 inch screen isn't possible. I was a little disappointed discovering this after paying a grand for it.
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:13 PM   #3
Gdub310

The manufacturers of most (all?) of these systems generally recommend against using the stock fuel lines, and you're going to need a return line. By the time you run new lines, swap in two new tanks, and get it all working together, it's a major undertaking.

To keep things simpler, you might want to consider eliminating one of your tanks, replacing the other tank with a new aftermarket unit, running new supply and return lines to it, and installing something like the Aeromotive Stealth 340 in-tank pump conversion (Holley also makes a similar product). While you'd give up the extra fuel capacity of the second tank, you should see improved fuel economy which would help offset the loss of range.
Gdub310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:34 AM   #4
Dannyboy1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdub310 View Post
The manufacturers of most (all?) of these systems generally recommend against using the stock fuel lines, and you're going to need a return line. By the time you run new lines, swap in two new tanks, and get it all working together, it's a major undertaking.

To keep things simpler, you might want to consider eliminating one of your tanks, replacing the other tank with a new aftermarket unit, running new supply and return lines to it, and installing something like the Aeromotive Stealth 340 in-tank pump conversion (Holley also makes a similar product). While you'd give up the extra fuel capacity of the second tank, you should see improved fuel economy which would help offset the loss of range.
As far as running new fuel lines go, that isn't a problem, I'm already going to be under it running Transmission cooler lines anyway. It is a good idea to do away with the second tank though, It was the one that still needed replaced anyway I already replaced the driver side tank, besides I don't drive on long trips anymore so one tank should be plenty.
Dannyboy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote