The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2018, 12:01 PM   #1
akart

Bilstien shock experiment $$ photos

Here are some photos
akart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:15 PM   #2
akart

Re: Bilstien shock experiment $$ photos

Photos show difference in body line front/back. Also where I had to drill new shock holes for my shock to reach. Before ORD springs Rancho shock compressed 4" to install and was supposed to be good for a 2" lift. W/shock moved to lower hole I only have 1.5" down travel. So I lost like 6.5". Does this look like a 2" lift? Front shocks fit okay w/about 1.5" down travel and the lift in front was 3". Also rear shackle which I had to move back 4" to get it like this. And the truck.
Attached Images

Last edited by akart; 03-09-2018 at 01:52 PM. Reason: add information
Old 03-09-2018, 04:23 PM   #3
Stephen Watson

Let's drive the truck straight onto a level surface with the wheels pointed straight to get started. Then measure right over each wheel instead of at the very ends of the truck. This will tell us what is actually going on at each spring. I think the current measurements will be a lot different from before the hangers were moved.
Stephen Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:06 PM   #4
akart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Watson View Post
Let's drive the truck straight onto a level surface with the wheels pointed straight to get started. Then measure right over each wheel instead of at the very ends of the truck. This will tell us what is actually going on at each spring. I think the current measurements will be a lot different from before the hangers were moved.
I did that last year and the improvement was 1.5 inches,still 3.5inches higher in the rear. Will measure again as soon as I can to verify.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:15 PM   #5
akart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Watson View Post
Just did some numbers and by taking the measurements from center of the wheel well as opposed to the overall length reduces the difference by 35%.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:35 AM   #6
cadillac_al

You shouldn't have to make a new hole to make a shock fit. I guess it is a quick fix if your shock is a little too short and should still work just fine. Most trucks do sit higher in the rear. I put a 2" lift on the front of my K20 to level it out. Now the rear is 1" lower and may not look right to some people but it is always in attack mode and ready to power through a mud hole.

You pretty much have to measure your compressed shock length with the springs off and axle hitting the bump stops. Then you get the longest shock with that compressed length.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:17 AM   #7
CUCV2

You may want to check the thread stick out on the top bolt of the shackle. I have a 87 K30 with the stock shackle hanger and a ORD shackle similar to what you have. Initially, I mounted the top shackle bolt the same way but the stickout hit the shackle hanger in rotation. I flipped the bolt around so it would clear and all was fine. May have even used a stock one vs. a greasable unit for clearance.
Attached Images

Last edited by CUCV2; 03-10-2018 at 10:26 AM.
CUCV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #8
akart

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
You shouldn't have to make a new hole to make a shock fit. I guess it is a quick fix if your shock is a little too short and should still work just fine. Most trucks do sit higher in the rear. I put a 2" lift on the front of my K20 to level it out. Now the rear is 1" lower and may not look right to some people but it is always in attack mode and ready to power through a mud hole.

You pretty much have to measure your compressed shock length with the springs off and axle hitting the bump stops. Then you get the longest shock with that compressed length.
The shock was way too short that 2" lift came out to almost 7" in the back. Working on that. Yes sir,I need new shocks and I do know how to compute there length. Thank you!!
Old 03-10-2018, 12:58 PM   #9
akart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUCV2 View Post
You may want to check the thread stick out on the top bolt of the shackle. I have a 87 K30 with the stock shackle hanger and a ORD shackle similar to what you have. Initially, I mounted the top shackle bolt the same way but the stickout hit the shackle hanger in rotation. I flipped the bolt around so it would clear and all was fine. May have even used a stock one vs. a greasable unit for clearance.
Spot on w/that. My photo; you're looking at the nut side,bolt head is on the inside. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2018, 01:39 PM   #10
CUCV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akart View Post
Spot on w/that. My photo; you're looking at the nut side,bolt head is on the inside. Thank you!
It looks like the greasable end is on the outside in the pic.

If you installed it with the weight off of it, then put weight on it, and it got hung up on the shackle hanger, that would certainly explain the increased height in the back and the stiff ride.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:09 PM   #11
akart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUCV2 View Post
It looks like the greasable end is on the outside in the pic.

If you installed it with the weight off of it, then put weight on it, and it got hung up on the shackle hanger, that would certainly explain the increased height in the back and the stiff ride.
It is a greaseable end w/a nut on it that you see. Bolt head is on the in side and it swings and rides fine and is not hanging up. Thank you.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:50 PM   #12
nonstop

Just throwing this out there - you could probably bring the back down a little bit by using 2wd rear spring hangers. No more dealing with springs, just replacing the hangers, and they should bolt up to the holes you already made.
nonstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #13
akart

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstop View Post
Just throwing this out there - you could probably bring the back down a little bit by using 2wd rear spring hangers. No more dealing with springs, just replacing the hangers, and they should bolt up to the holes you already made.
Here are photos of lift before and after the 2" ORD lift. Does that look like a 2" lift to you? Wish I had a better photo of the before lift but this all I have,but you get the idea.
Attached Images

Last edited by akart; 03-11-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:58 PM   #14
nonstop

No, but that’s already been established. I simply am pointing out another option that looks like it would lower the rear and MAY be less headache than dealing with the springs.
nonstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:48 PM   #15
Stephen Watson

And again, that's a picture from before the hanger was moved back. Get some current info and help us help you.
Stephen Watson is offline   Reply With Quote