The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #1
Jayschevy

How hard is it to change the detent (kickdown) cable transmission seal?

I have a TH350 transmission in my 71 and I've been noticing that I have a fluid leak. I was able to jack it up and get under it this weekend to take a good look at it. It looks like the leak is coming from the detent cable that goes in and bolts to the transmission.
My question is, is there a seal in there that I can change out to stop the leak? If so, how hard is it? It only has one bolt holding it in and not knowing much about it, I was worried that I may pull something out that I couldn't get back in.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Jayschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:56 PM   #2
octanejunkie

Re: How hard is it to change the detent (kickdown) cable transmission seal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayschevy View Post
I have a TH350 transmission in my 71 and I've been noticing that I have a fluid leak. I was able to jack it up and get under it this weekend to take a good look at it. It looks like the leak is coming from the detent cable that goes in and bolts to the transmission.
My question is, is there a seal in there that I can change out to stop the leak? If so, how hard is it? It only has one bolt holding it in and not knowing much about it, I was worried that I may pull something out that I couldn't get back in.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
There should be an o-ring seal on the kickdown cable. You can open that one bolt and pull the cable boss (trans tube) out of the trans to check.
RTV silicone can be used to seal the trans tube to the trans body upon reinstallation.

These Lokar instructions might help you

'59 Chevy 3100 Stepside
octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:36 AM   #3
MikeB

The key diagram is Figure 4 on the second page of those Lokar instructions. The TV wire on your trans may not stick out that far, but feel free to pull on it to disconnect/connect it from/to the cable. It's spring loaded and will move 1" or so.

This may also help:

I'm not sure there are any parts you can replace, so you may have to buy a new cable for your year & model truck. I've used this cable on a 69 C10 with a 307 and TH350. http://www.bulkpart.com/2/product/35...is/T44450.html

Bad picture I know. You can probably get it at a local parts store.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:45 AM   #4
MikeB

Here you can see the wire pulls against the throttle valve lever. That's a Lokar cable.

1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
Old 02-05-2015, 06:08 PM   #5
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

There is no "TV" cable for a TH350. Just a kickdown "detent" cable.

The o-ring can be replaced but you have to disconnect the cable from the wire inside the tranny. The wire inside the tranny is bent in a square "S" shape and it hooks into the hole in the kickdown cable. Once you take the bolt out and pull the cable housing up it will be obvious how it's connected.

When you pull that cable housing up, be prepared for some tranny fluid to leak out of there.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:06 AM   #6
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post

The o-ring can be replaced but you have to disconnect the cable from the wire inside the tranny. The wire inside the tranny is bent in a square "S" shape and it hooks into the hole in the kickdown cable. Once you take the bolt out and pull the cable housing up it will be obvious how it's connected.

When you pull that cable housing up, be prepared for some tranny fluid to leak out of there.

Gary
thats how i did it
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:28 PM   #7
MikeB

Quote:
Gary
I stand corrected. Funny because I just went through the valve body on a TH350, and connected a Lokar detent cable. So I know it's a detent valve, not a TV valve as on 700R4 and 2004R. I think the problem is I've heard the term "TV cable" too much.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #8
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

LOL... Sorry Mike... didn't mean to come across as "correcting". Hard to put voice tone and feeling into words on a computer.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:08 PM   #9
MikeB

Quote:
LOL... Sorry Mike... didn't mean to come across as "correcting". Hard to put voice tone and feeling into words on a computer.

Gary
Well, you did come across that way, just a little. But I have tissues here on my desk.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:10 PM   #10
octanejunkie

Hug it out fellas... no one lost an eye this time. It's all good

'59 Chevy 3100 Stepside
octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:39 PM   #11
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Jay,
key here is you have to pull the trans pan, so get the o-ring for the kick-down, one for the dipstick tube and a new pan gasket and a filter. If your going to this trouble.... do it all and be done with it.

The TH350 has a couple of different dipstick tube seals. If you want to be prepared just pick up both the O-ring and the bushing type (think the bushing type is only for the metric cases,, but maybe not). Besides, they are cheap enough so just get all possibilities to save the gas of running back to the parts house.

just a suggestion

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:28 PM   #12
BillyJoe03

I'm looking for the original transmission kickdown cable for my 1971 Chevy truck 350 hydromatic I had someone work on it and replaced it why I don't know does anybody know where I can find the original one that has the orange plastic that ties into the carburetor that is the correct one?
BillyJoe03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:54 AM   #13
cg285

i don't believe the original cable was any other color than black
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote