The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2019, 10:25 AM   #1
Ewr101

A/C Blower Motor Orange Wire Connection

72 w/ factory A/C- the orange wire that goes to the blower motor relay- on the fuse box side, where and how exactly does that wire connect on the fuse box? On the wiring diagrams I've seen, it seems to connect to the CIG section some how.

Some background info- when I got the Blazer, the orange wire had a female connector on it and was plugged into the CIG port on the fuse box and there was no cigarette lighter. I ordered one and added it to fill the hole in the dash properly and it works fine to charge my phone. I tapped into the hot wire going to the cigarette lighter to feed the blower. On occasion I do use the heater if it gets cool on the drive home. Last week on a drive my phone kept going in and out of charge and I traced the low voltage to the cigarette connector plugged into the fuse box- it had melted and corroded. I fixed it up but I don't believe the orange wire should be tapped into the the cig feed like it is, too much current for it. I just don't know how themorange wire supposed to be connected to the fuse box. I think it connects on the backside of the fuse box somehow. Anyone know?
Old 03-03-2019, 04:33 PM   #2
dmjlambert

Re: A/C Blower Motor Orange Wire Connection

The orange wire connects to the CIG connector on the fuse box. This provides unswitched high-current source of 12V. The factory cigarette lighter wire plugs into the CIG connector on the fuse box, and it has a short length of additional wire with a connector on it that allows for connection of another accessory, such as the orange wire for the A/C blower. I suppose you could call that a piggy back connection. Here is a picture of what they look like.
Name:  pigba.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  59.5 KB

Edit: put up a better picture.

Last edited by dmjlambert; 03-03-2019 at 04:40 PM.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:51 PM   #3
Ewr101

Ok, that makes sense as to why it was plugged in on the front. I was assuming it was disconnected or cut off the back of the fuse box and that was how they repaired it. After spending some time searching today, I can't find a female to dual male spade connector harness so I'm going to just make my own with the biggest gauge wire and connectors that I can find that will work. Thank you for answering, I appreciate it.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:12 AM   #4
dmjlambert

The wire is 12 gauge and available at car parts stores. The connectors are Packard 56 connectors, and as far as I know only available online. I found and bought some on eBay. It is a tight fit to stuff two 12 gauge wires into one connector end, and I found I could not really crimp it, but I soldered it when I made one.
Attached Images

dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote