The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2019, 08:24 PM   #1
Matt Man

Best Websites to sell our trucks?

To start off I have my truck listed here. I am selling my 81 k10 and I do not want to post it on craigslist or facebook marketplace. Is there any places you guys recommend to sell my truck at? Also I have never sold a vehicle online is there any tricks to not getting scammed etc?
2020 Silverado Double Cab LT Z71 5.3 8 speed Daily Driver

K10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671934

The Peach build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=733903

Matt Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:27 PM   #2
rsavage

Re: Best Websites to sell our trucks?

There is nothing wrong with Craigslist for vehicles under $20,000. Don't list your phone number in the ad - have them respond via the craigslist email and ask that they provide their phone number and first name. You then call them. No phone number = no response from you. I also use reverse phone lookup to get an idea where the person is located, or at least their phone. I can then compare that info to what they tell me when I call them back. Don't ever take a check. Bank wire transfer to your account or cash. Get a cash pen and check to make sure the bills are genuine. Deal only in person and note it in your ad. You can always meet a a nearby public place to show the vehicle if you are uncomfortable with giving a stranger your address. I always tell the potential buyer about where I am, but they must call me when they are leaving to get the address.
Cars and trucks above $20,000 do not seem to sell on Craigs or on this site very often, although it does occasionally occur. You can try the paid sites for higher end stuff - Racing Junk, Hemmings, Classic Cars and Trucks on Auto Trader, etc.

You can also ebay it. I have only done that once and it worked out fine. Out of state buyer bought it sight unseen and did a wire transfer. I was very honest in my description and the photos. It was a 69 Boss 302 that was an absolute rust bucket but it was a rare car that ran and yard drove.
If you live on a fairly busy road, you can put it out front with a for sale sign or you could put it in a high visibility spot at someone else's place, but I would never leave it there overnight - bring it back and forth each day.

Good luck with your sale.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:30 PM   #3
greasemonkey

I had this same question a few months ago. I tried craigslist, facebook, and offerup. Absolutely nothing on 2 of the sites and just scammers on craigslist. I've had pretty good luck with selling parts on facebook recently. Some of the stuff was listed so low and the potential buyers caused me so much grief, that I literally threw the parts away or recycled them. Selling a vehicle? Sure wish I knew the answer to that one.
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:47 PM   #4
shifty
Questionable

rsavage gives great Craigslist advice. Facebook MarketPlace and OfferUp may be decent for lower-buck cars just because there's some kinds of verification on buyers there, but you're going to get lowballed no matter where you sell. Everyone wants a deal.

I won't lie, before buying my current truck, I got sketched out by one person on OfferUp enough that I walked off "to go get lunch" while he "called his Uber because he just dropped $3k in cash in the damn Uber", truck wouldn't start either, and guy was acting erratic. Then got really pissed at me afterwards, but ... gut check was telling me something was up and I don't need conflict or drama in my life.

I've sold two cars on eBay with far less hassle than I expected: One MKIV era VW GTI hatch and a early 90s Honda Civic hatch. That was actually a really good choice for me, especially living in a generally rust-free zone.

I asked for a 10% deposit or pickup within 72 hours of sale but both buyers asked for some leniency so I worked with both for an extra day or two for them to bus/train/plane to me, both cars were gone within 5 days. Positive feedback on both.

One buyer from FL wanted the "cool VW" and the Civic went to someone in Wisconsin/Ohio or nearby because they don't get rust-free stock up there and it was dent/rust/wreck free. People legitimately want these vehicles, it helps on sale if they're in safe driveable condition and the buyer can drive them home.

Regardless how you sell, CYOA! Be sure to print two copies of a legal bill of sale which includes language saying the buyer is now the full owner, buying the car as-is with no warranty implied, and you accept no liability for anything happening after the buyer concludes the sale by signing the paper. At least this way if anything does happen after they leave the sale, you have a legally binding contract in-hand so you've got a fraction of a leg to stand on in court.

I tried selling at least 3 cars now on Auto Trader with zero luck. The two above and an Acura RSX. All I got was some random guy with a heavy Brooklyn accent calling me acting like a buyer and asking me to drop the price. When I called him out on it, he cussed me out and hung up on me each time. I never forget voices, I know 100% it was the same guy every time. AutoTrader did jack about it when I complained.

Either way, good luck with your sale, however you choose to go about it. I think word of mouth goes a long way, so does hooking in with other forums/clubs/etc.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:40 PM   #5
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

I advertised an 86 Vette on Marketplace with little success. Then I saw a 57 Chevy 2 door post up for sale on Marketplace and offered the Vette as partial trade and he took it. I buffed the paint and shined the chrome on the 57 and sold it on Marketplace. When the guy came for the 57, he fell in love with my 68 Chevy truck. He ended up with both the 57 and the 68!

I'm now interested in a 70 Jeepster Commando I found on a facebook group specializing in 66-72 Commandos. There's a couple FB groups that specialize in 67-72 trucks you might want to look at.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:58 AM   #6
Grumpy old man

Well... Depends on what your selling .If it's a project or builder use Craigslist, If it's higher up the food chain using a classic car dealership to sell has a lot of benefits , They deal with all the fruitcakes and tire kickers , They know what they are doing , They are going to do their best to get top dollar ,They offer financing to buyers who otherwise couldn't afford their dream car/truck . most work on consignment or they may just buy it outright from you . Most have a list of buyers for specific cars/ trucks and have the customers and advertising and location that you just won't find without spending a considerable amount of time and money .

https://www.smokymountaintraders.com/

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote