The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
98turbls1

Looking to do IFS with bags

I'm wanting to do a TCI IFS with bags but am curious what all is involved. My truck is a 1947 Chevy. Also, where is the best place to pick this up at? Pics would be great. If you don't have a TCI that's fine too. Just trying to get some ideas and see what the best setup for me would be.
98turbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
mylow53

Re: Looking to do IFS with bags

thats what i got under mine.... have a look at my build for picts. one thing though ive changed my mind about the shock wave (airbag and shock combo) vs the traditional air bag. so long as the shock wave can get as low as my bag, it might solve some limits on my turning radius.. since my shock mount interfears with my lock to lock turns
GT
mylow53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
98turbls1

I've seen your build. It is very beautiful and detail oriented. I hope to have my truck to that caliber one day. So you think that the reason for your steering woes is due to the bags?
Old 04-28-2010, 10:22 PM   #4
LEEVON

After several months of research and deliberation I just ordered a MII suspension today from CPP. It's a TCI unit with air bags, power rack, 2" drop spindles, sway bar and they throw in free shipping, an adjustable brake proportioning valve, power steering hoses and stainless brake hoses. Total came to $1894. I evaluated all of the options (and I mean all) but for price and completeness I couldn't pass this up. It also has the boxing plates which makes a difference to me. Time is scarce, the less of it that I spend sourcing/making parts the better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-T...#ht_1704wt_939
Old 04-29-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
98turbls1

Thanks Leevon! So did you call them directly and order or did you order it from ebay?
Old 04-29-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
SOWARDCUSTOMS

I ordered a welders series diy kit and pieced the rest together bought a 76 mustang and took the front suspension components off sold the rest and ordered air lift dominators then build the brackets myself my plan is to have most of it done this weekend I will post pics...I am a bit frugal tho I like to save as much money as I can if I can build it rather than buy it I will or at least try...
SOWARDCUSTOMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
bjcaldwe

How does the welder series piece look? Did you get it pre-welded or the kit?
bjcaldwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
LEEVON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98turbls1 View Post
Thanks Leevon! So did you call them directly and order or did you order it from ebay?
Called them direct, and referenced the Ebay item #. Their Ebay sales department is separate, I've had better luck speaking to their main sales associates. Danny (not Nix but another) was a big help, had immediate answers to all of my questions.

I wanted to use the welderseries crossmember too, but I priced that plus speedway components and it was close without any of the CPP extras. What SOWARDCUSTOMS is doing would be the way to go to save a few $$$ wish I had the time myself.

Last edited by LEEVON; 04-29-2010 at 11:30 AM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #9
SOWARDCUSTOMS

No I didn't get the prewelded one I will post some pics and what I spent it was cheap tho and the paul hortons guys are great they answered all my questions and shipped quick...
Old 04-29-2010, 11:37 AM   #10
SOWARDCUSTOMS

I'm not knocking the TCI stuff in any way i'm sure there products are great. just a little bit more than my banker (the wife) will approve...
Old 04-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #11
98turbls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWARDCUSTOMS View Post
I'm not knocking the TCI stuff in any way i'm sure there products are great. just a little bit more than my banker (the wife) will approve...
I actually have my banker(wife) on board for this build. She sees how excited I am about getting this done and on the road so it's not that big of deal. I just don't want to run into too many obsitcles and want the best one to be able to do in my garage. I'm also looking for durability too because I'm wanting to put a pretty healthy sbc or gen 3 engine in there. I'm shooting for 500rwhp so that has to factor in too. My budget goal is $2500 or somewhere around there with the bags, sway bar, brakes, and the rest. Thanks for the input guys!
Old 04-29-2010, 11:48 PM   #12
silversvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
After several months of research and deliberation I just ordered a MII suspension today from CPP. It's a TCI unit with air bags, power rack, 2" drop spindles, sway bar and they throw in free shipping, an adjustable brake proportioning valve, power steering hoses and stainless brake hoses. Total came to $1894. I evaluated all of the options (and I mean all) but for price and completeness I couldn't pass this up. It also has the boxing plates which makes a difference to me. Time is scarce, the less of it that I spend sourcing/making parts the better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-T...#ht_1704wt_939

Leevon,

I hope you saw this post

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...21&postcount=1

and spoke to Jeff when you placed your order.

I didn't see that post until after I ordered some stuff from CPP. I called Jeff a couple days after my order was placed. He said he could have saved me some money but it was too late since the order had already shipped. He did place a note in my order history so I can grab some discounts on my next order. :clap

Last edited by silversvs; 04-29-2010 at 11:49 PM.
silversvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:39 AM   #13
Scottshotrods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98turbls1 View Post
I actually have my banker(wife) on board for this build. She sees how excited I am about getting this done and on the road so it's not that big of deal. I just don't want to run into too many obsitcles and want the best one to be able to do in my garage. I'm also looking for durability too because I'm wanting to put a pretty healthy sbc or gen 3 engine in there. I'm shooting for 500rwhp so that has to factor in too. My budget goal is $2500 or somewhere around there with the bags, sway bar, brakes, and the rest. Thanks for the input guys!
We have some good deals going on now with our Scotts Superslam ifs we can
give you a package you cannot pass up.If intrested p/m me or e-mail me or
call me.
justin@scottshotrods.com
(805)485-0382
justin
www.scottshotrods.com
Scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote