The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2017, 01:58 PM   #1
NONHOG

Camping/adventure van

While the V8 Volvo waits for its hood to be done (paint jail)
and the little white Volvo waits for my sons attention (his now)
I got a wild hair and now am spending time on a mini van O.K. in reality its a mid size van.
So it starts with a 1996 GMC AWD Safari SLE 7 passenger van. Burgundy in and out. Would have waited for a better color combo but thought it sure will be less of an issue dragging brush "pin striping" it w/o remorse. So I live with the murder scene redish interior color knowing that it'll get dirty/ muddy as well as dump runs and lumber hauling.
For those who don't know these all came with a 4.3 (meh) this one has the tow package so it came w/ 3.73.
How it looked at first made it really hard to be motivated.
Attached Images

Last edited by NONHOG; 06-09-2017 at 06:45 PM.
NONHOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
NONHOG

Re: Camping/adventure van

So first things first 2" lift done w/o a kit. Kits are around but its so basic I did some Google searches and read a few threads and started ordering parts.
Added 2" spacers between the sub frame and shackles in the rear.
A variety of things needed but unless someone is interested I will skip details.
Since its up higher I added taller ice rated off road tires.
It wasn't fun but sure helped its looks to remove the factory cladding and pin striping. Eraser wheel was slow but worked great. No luck with razor blades, WD40 or Goof off nothing worked as well as the eraser wheel made by Astro LOL.
Attached Images

Last edited by NONHOG; 06-09-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:18 PM   #3
NONHOG

A used grill and some Dupli color spray on bed liner for front and rear bumpers made it a little better looking. (never be a looker LOL)
Attached Images

Last edited by NONHOG; 06-09-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:43 PM   #4
NONHOG

Now this not all that exiting saga started about the 1st of November (2016)
After the lift and tires plus trimming for clearance.
I had the pleasure of replacing all the steering linkage only later to find out it needed a steering box. Which needed to be warrantied, and then swapped again. So much fun. Between steering box R&R me and my boy go out to the Ocean to p/u a sofa for our family cabin other than wandering steering for a 100 miles ea. way. It was a good test run it seemed fine, we goofed with his new Go-pro.
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2017, 02:57 PM   #5
NONHOG

So fight the steering box once again and figured since its pretty close to where it should be we should go play. Me and the boy headed out and went snow shoeing. Van did great brake and accel tests on a foot of snow proved to be no problem. We parked went hiking then took off back down the hill (mountain for those in flatlands) What I didn't know was the guy in a Suburban "square body" had nearly bald all terrain tires and completely iced the road spinning and skidding. It was my bad for not being more careful but I slide right into him as I couldn't stop. Very stressful 2 mile ride downhill watching the square sliding toward cliffs and ditches while the van still sliding slightly thanks to the newly iced roads. All of this while waiting to discuss our accident at the bottom of the FS road. Beside fearing for the guy, his child and his pregnant wife I was thinking about increased insurance rates. Turns out he said they were fine and my license plate was the only damage. They cheerfully bid farewell and I asked if they wanted me to follow to be sure they got home safe. (lightly snowing) nope we are fine! O.K?
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2017, 03:02 PM   #6
NONHOG

One more trip to the beach before tearing in to it (again)
Mrs. Nonhog not a mini van enthusiast doesn't seem to mind.
She is looking forward to camping/kayaking trips. Still have some work to do.
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2017, 03:17 PM   #7
NONHOG

My goal is to be as stealth as possible, no huge lift/lights/rack/tires etc. but having as much off road capability as possible. So I will add discreet lighting,
low profile custom roof rack, skid plates. It may not blend in next to Caravans and such but shouldn't stick out of the crowd in case I ever need to sleep off the street in a neighborhood somewhere.
I am modding an extra front bumper to be able to carry a removable winch.
(stealth) I have a ways to go figuring that out.
As of now it sits in my shop waiting for me to finish my rear brake job which turned into rear seal job, which turned into reinstalling the spider gear that fell out job.
Attached Images

Last edited by NONHOG; 06-09-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:40 PM   #8
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Nice work! Your mods sure made the van look more useful and I'm sure the ground clearance will help it along too.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:42 PM   #9
NONHOG

Since the factory roof rack is very limited in capabilities I pulled the headliner to see why. Sure enough its held in with the tiniest keepers that look like sheetrock screw anchors. I have a roof top tent and need not only a capable roof rack but a roof that I can walk on when needed. A small cage between the factory cross bracing is the only thing I can think of. Wheels are still turning. All this effort and I have yet to plan out any interior mods.
Think Westphalia. Whatever I do it will have to be easy to remove as this will still be my truck for some time.
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2017, 04:08 PM   #10
NONHOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Nice work! Your mods sure made the van look more useful and I'm sure the ground clearance will help it along too.
Thanks! It wont go on technical Jeep trails but I plan on pushing it a bit.
Most trails in Western Washington I wouldn't stand a chance. I am planning on checking out WABDR http://ridebdr.com/WABDR

I do have a transfer case from a S10 Blazer but will see how the AWD set up as is does. I know how slow I am and that swap is not hard but I'm not jumping in just yet.
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #11
fun in dirt

I think it's awesome that you're working with what you have & going on adventures in it. Seems like a lot of times people get too caught up in all the gadgets & fancy accessories and miss out on the whole point of it all. I instantly thought about this dude, who's thread I follow, and also rolls hard in a mini van.
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/th...gs-of-the-West
'06 Silverado SS...DD
'06 C1500 WT...DD
'07 Classic C1500 WT...DD
Built & sold cause can't keep 'em all:
'72 Blazer "The Bucket" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433190
'55 Chevy straight axle gasser https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173938
'69 Pro Street Chevelle http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332541
'86 M1031 CUCV http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=553619
fun in dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:33 PM   #12
NONHOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun in dirt View Post
I think it's awesome that you're working with what you have & going on adventures in it. Seems like a lot of times people get too caught up in all the gadgets & fancy accessories and miss out on the whole point of it all. I instantly thought about this dude, who's thread I follow, and also rolls hard in a mini van.
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/th...gs-of-the-West
I have seen that thread but not read it all the way(dang long) very good stuff.
I followed this thread and was inspired to consider a AWD van. http://forum.expeditionportal.com/th...-Adventure-VAN
Look at me now. LOL
Old 06-28-2017, 11:14 PM   #13
Gokart Mozart

http://www.fiberglassme.com/pages/handicap.html
Gokart Mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:31 PM   #14
NONHOG

I started on the roof rack, not looking to walk on it but want it strong enough if I do. Good thing I have grinders my welds are not picture worthy.
Tore the old rack off. Key word "tore" dented the flimsy roof a bit. Nothing scary. Ordered some gussets today and still planning how to attach the front and rear portions.
Had the A/C charged today and no leaks! I aint buying it. I suspect the dye will show its ugly head sooner than later. Front and rear A/C. Time will tell.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2017, 05:34 PM   #15
NONHOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokart Mozart View Post
Those are cool, but not in my master plan. I don't think anyone makes "Astro" roof toppers anymore.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:40 PM   #16
Russell Ashley

I like Astro vans. If I were to ever get rid of my Suburban I would consider finding a nice Astro or GMC Safari to drive. My daughter in law had a GMC and that was the first ever vehicle that I ever heard of where the brakes used the p/s pump for power assist. The p/s pimp shaft sheared and I had a hard time believing her that the p/s and p/b assist went out at the same time. That pump is not a fun job to change, btw.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:53 PM   #17
NONHOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
I like Astro vans. If I were to ever get rid of my Suburban I would consider finding a nice Astro or GMC Safari to drive. My daughter in law had a GMC and that was the first ever vehicle that I ever heard of where the brakes used the p/s pump for power assist. The p/s pimp shaft sheared and I had a hard time believing her that the p/s and p/b assist went out at the same time. That pump is not a fun job to change, btw.
Hydro boost, finicky little sucker. Went exploring yesterday after spending the weekend doing caretaker chores for my wife. Seems her gallbladder didn't care that I had plans on my days off. Actually worked out nicely since I slept in and didn't go exploring Thursday morning as planned. By the time I was ready she was throwing up from the pain. Short version, ER trip, overnight stay and removal.
Back to the dirt road trip. The steering assist went out and came back. Scary!
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2017, 12:15 AM   #18
NONHOG

First camping trip (self contained) it was in the nineties which is really hot for us North westerners. LOL Plus the A/C charge only lasted 2 days plus my RH window motor replacement didn't go well. (rolls up crooked now) plus the headliner is still not installed and...... I didn't get my roof vent installed.
So it was less than comfortable but we had fun anyway. The rack worked out well. And the roof top tent was a hit. The kayaks were fun to have and gave a bit of a nervous drive home as the cheap kayak holders had no cush left in the foam and the straps were getting loose. Had to stop 3 times on the way home. Something I can fix. Even the dog had fun.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2017, 03:07 PM   #19
NONHOG

Cut a big ol' hole for the powered vent. Sanded it a bit, primered and tonight I will brush on a topcoat. Then some sealer and self tappers and I'm vented!
After wiring it in of course.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2017, 11:10 PM   #20
Russell Ashley

I'm not into camping anymore but I'm enjoying following your thread. I like what you are doing with the van. BTW, I'm sure this has been addressed on your van by now, but there was a problem with the coil wire routing that would cause a no-start condition back when these van were newer. There was a service bulletin regarding the problem but it caused me a lot of aggravation until I found out about it.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:33 PM   #21
NONHOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
I'm not into camping anymore but I'm enjoying following your thread. I like what you are doing with the van. BTW, I'm sure this has been addressed on your van by now, but there was a problem with the coil wire routing that would cause a no-start condition back when these van were newer. There was a service bulletin regarding the problem but it caused me a lot of aggravation until I found out about it.
We are just getting started in camping, so lots to work out. Mrs. Nonhog said she is up for several years of Roof Top Tent camping. (well see how that plays out) if we get a few years it will be worth it. Planning an outing with Sillyoldman and my sister soon.

Hard to believe but GM covered under warranty the coil wire rerouting(inspection?) maybe its more of a recall?

Got the vent installed yet to wire it in. Fixed my RH regulator so it works now.
More blue tape fab at the Nonhog shop. Spent an hour reaching a bolt through where a giant rivet was last go around. This time I had a better idea!
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2017, 04:12 PM   #22
NONHOG

Spent a few hours scouting camp sites w/my honey.
Need to air down next time we drive FS roads. Best look into air compressor systems. Freeway I fill to 44psi. Its a little harsh on washboard roads. LOL
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2017, 12:43 PM   #23
NONHOG

Missed my window of sunny weather last Sunday. I found my 3rd brake light was leaking. So I popped it off to dry out and seal up but oops.
Downpour came along and soaked the carpet and padding. Pulled the carpet up and ripped out the wet padding. Probably get rid of the carpet but not ready to go there while I still have upper ball joints to do. Thinking I may just do axles at the same time? Always something......
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #24
NONHOG

Looks like that Redline fluid I just put in the rear end was for not.
I can deal with it, adding this....
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTL-912A317
Good news $50.00 rebate, more civilized traction (was considering Lock Rite)
Bad news it will be a bit before I can afford to have it installed.
Might not need that $WD transfer case after all? Time will tell.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:50 PM   #25
NONHOG

Done very little as I have been down and out for over a month with what I think was an allergic reaction to antibiotics. Joint (then muscle) pain and swelling, long tough road but I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel
Be happy to ditch the cane, better than the 2 weeks on crutches.
Anyway , had to get out in the shop and mess around a bit.
thinking about adding louvers to the hood to escape some heat.
Going slow on logging roads usually involving steep incline makes it warm up.
Installing louvers adds complexity since I live in the PNW, I don't want to pour water (rain) into my engine compartment. Might add a tray under the louvers to catch and divert heavy downpours?

Also playing with the crappy center console/ cup holder/ glove box.
Tired of the glove box popping open while on my bumpity road adventures. And the factory cup holders are not deep enough. No more surprises going around corners. LOL

still have to shape and glass the center piece, it will also be nice have more legroom when swing my feet around to walk to the back.

Boring but its all I got. Where is FF when you need him.
Attached Images