The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2016, 08:37 PM   #1
Electricduane

engine oil - stock 350 using Royal Purple (89 K5)

hello:

A year or two back I switched to using Royal Purple 10w30. Engine is a totally stock small block 350 (K&N air filter still counts for stock, right?). Previously I used regular (non-synthetic) oil. And when you change the oil yourself, it doesn't really cost that much more to use the fancy stuff.

My oil light came on once or twice since switching to Royal purple, and I realized that my engine was using oil at kind of an alarming pace. Prior to switching to Royal purple, it used very little or none. I don't recall ever even noticing it before (and I did check the oil).

I'd be interested to hear any advice from you smart folks. My thought is to switch back to old-fashioned oil. I don't think the fancy stuff is performing any miracles anyway, and I probably fell for the snake oil salesman gimmick.

Or maybe there's another brand of synthetic that would be better? My engine is using over a quart of oil, maybe even 2 quarts, every (estimate) 3000 miles. It has about 130k miles and otherwise does fine. Sounds great, normal power, and passes smog easily after I recently put a new catalytic converters. it does the usual small puff of smoke at start up, presumably worn-out valve guide seals.

Let me know your thoughts. Thank you!
Electricduane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:09 AM   #2
Ski-me

Re: engine oil - stock 350 using Royal Purple (89 K5)

I've heard that synthetic is probably not the route to go on these older motors. Seals tend to leak more due to the composition of synthetic vs. regular oil. I'd try switching back to regular 10w-30 and see if things improve. I've used Quaker State for many years and mine does not go through that amount of oil. I'm usually about 1 QT per 3000 miles or so.

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote