The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2018, 11:25 PM   #1
Driver_WT

Weld Through Primer

We are getting ready to weld the two hood halves together to create a smooth hood. Should I use weld through primer before welding the hood? Any brand better than others?

Thanks.

Wade
Old 09-09-2018, 11:28 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Weld Through Primer

I used 3m weld thru on everything I couldn't get to after welding...I would try to keep it off where your weld is...it'll make your weld cleaner...although I did some test pieces actually welding thru primer and it did ok...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:34 PM   #3
MARTINSR

I have gotten so I use it any time something is being sandwiched like that seam on the hood. I use a brand that is not available to the general public I don't believe, it's an "Industrial" product and I don't think they sell can's but only cases. https://www.winzer.com/Product/Winze...-oz-Case-of-12

But there are plenty others, SEM makes great products, I haven't used the weld thru in years so I don't remember how it was but I can't imagine it's bad. https://www.tptools.com/SEM-Weld-Thr...iABEgI_ifD_BwE

The biggest thing with "weld thru" is to spray it relatively light don't bomb it on. AND let it dry really good, like the next day before you weld through it. At work we don't do this but we do like to at least have it dry a few hours. But at home, I just get stuff ready and spray it and don't weld it until the next day.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:44 AM   #4
DransportGarage

I've used U-Pol's version:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/U-Pol-789-W...8AAOSwunBa4E4U

Seems to work well.
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:48 PM   #5
slammed57

man , every time i buy a can of weld thru i would spray it a couple of times and the ALWAYS clog up on me... I still have 4 cans that are just about full, but cant use them due to being clogged up....$20 bucks a can! fusturating!!!
Old 09-11-2018, 07:01 PM   #6
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed57 View Post
man , every time i buy a can of weld thru i would spray it a couple of times and the ALWAYS clog up on me... I still have 4 cans that are just about full, but cant use them due to being clogged up....$20 bucks a can! fusturating!!!
First off, shake it REALLY good, leave it upside down for a while before you use it. Shake it up REALLY GOOD before using it. Then a huge trick, turn the can upside down and spray it until nothing comes out. This is clearing the pickup tube and nozzle for next time.

This is a BIGGIE, this should be done to every aerosol used. There are a few once in a while that have some sort of pickup tube where this can't be done, you will know it pretty quick because it keeps spraying something.

Honestly, this is so common it's crazy. I was a paint rep for a while and would go through the returns at the warehouse. The boxes and boxes of aerosol cans! And I could grab one and shake it up a bit and then spray it upside down and the clog would be pushed out by just air right, because the pickup tube is at the very bottom, and if it's upside down that pickup tube is in air only. So it clears out the tube and nozzle. I would do this to about any can I wanted.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:26 PM   #7
slammed57

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
First off, shake it REALLY good, leave it upside down for a while before you use it. Shake it up REALLY GOOD before using it. Then a huge trick, turn the can upside down and spray it until nothing comes out. This is clearing the pickup tube and nozzle for next time.

This is a BIGGIE, this should be done to every aerosol used. There are a few once in a while that have some sort of pickup tube where this can't be done, you will know it pretty quick because it keeps spraying something.

Honestly, this is so common it's crazy. I was a paint rep for a while and would go through the returns at the warehouse. The boxes and boxes of aerosol cans! And I could grab one and shake it up a bit and then spray it upside down and the clog would be pushed out by just air right, because the pickup tube is at the very bottom, and if it's upside down that pickup tube is in air only. So it clears out the tube and nozzle. I would do this to about any can I wanted.

Brian
Thanks so much I will try those methods you mentioned. I always when finished with any spray can , I would turn up side down and spray until no paint would show to prevent any clogs, but I will try to shake the weld primer good and let sit up side down as you mentioned
Posted via Mobile Device
slammed57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:19 AM   #8
1project2many

Also, acetone can usually be used to clean the nozzle and the top of the can. It may take several repeats to get the solids out. Some brands of brake cleaner are great for cleaning paint cans as they have a high acetone content.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote