The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #626
mknittle

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Thanks Kim. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on those tools.

Thanks Tx, you must have read through the thread from the beginning. There was some discussion early on of whether I paid too much for my truck. I didn't think so then and I REALLY don't think so now 1-1/2 years later. If anything, I got a deal. At least for Southern California. And I agree with you: If they make us happy and we can afford them, whatever we pay is fine.
I have one similar to the one on the right. It works good but is a bit clumsy

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #627
Dan in Pasadena

It's clumsy?....or the operator? Lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #628
Russell Ashley

Dan, How are you coming along on patching the speaker holes? When I replaced the bottoms of my doors I didn't think I would be able to get them perfect so I masked off a section of the inside lower portion of my doors and sprayed them with paintable undercoating. I like the way it looks, and it will help hide some less-than-perfect body work. It might even give some noise reduction also. You don't notice it unless you are close.
Attached Images

Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #629
Dan in Pasadena

Hey, that's a good idea! I'm reading your post on my iPhone and didn't notice the texture at all until I zoomed in.

My repair is stopped. Took a long weekend camping vacation, some prep & mechanical work before and cleanup/repair after. I MAY get back to it this weekend though. Thanks for thinking of me. I DO like the idea. What brand did you use? Just rattle can stuff?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #630
TX58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
Dan, How are you coming along on patching the speaker holes? When I replaced the bottoms of my doors I didn't think I would be able to get them perfect so I masked off a section of the inside lower portion of my doors and sprayed them with paintable undercoating. I like the way it looks, and it will help hide some less-than-perfect body work. It might even give some noise reduction also. You don't notice it unless you are close.
Now I like that idea. I have a few minor dings on the lower sections of my doors,wish I would have seen this sooner. It's great that we now have products and techniques that we didn't have back then. Nice truck
Posted via Mobile Device
TX58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #631
Dan in Pasadena

Russ,
Did you put the material on the upper part of your armrest? I ask because I'd like to get some and they don't come in colors I want to use so I'm wondering if they un-screw and are easy to change? Oh, and is the top coat rattle can too, or real automotive paint?
Old 06-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #632
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Russ,
Did you put the material on the upper part of your armrest? I ask because I'd like to get some and they don't come in colors I want to use so I'm wondering if they un-screw and are easy to change? Oh, and is the top coat rattle can too, or real automotive paint?
The arm rests don't exactly match my door but I didn't do anything to them. They are exactly like I received them from Bow Tie Bits. I'm pretty sure that you can remove the top but I didn't look too closely so don't know for sure. The undercoating that I used on my door came from O'Reilys. I don't remember the brand, just be sure it says Paintable on the can. I let it set up for a week before I painted it. I got the idea from thinking about my last truck which had carpet on the lower section of the door.

The top coat is "real" paint, urethane enamel, had it matched at the auto paint store to match the rest of my interior.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #633
Rude Dude

Dan I got mine at Classic Truck parts they come with a template for drilling into door panel the nuts are already in the door on both sides. I removed the door panel, cut the head off a screw that fits the bolt in door and grinded it to a point re-installed door panel tapped with a hammer to indent a mark than placed the template that came with the door pulls over the marks and drilled for screw attachment real easy.

Quote:
Russ,
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #634
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dude View Post
Dan I got mine at Classic Truck parts they come with a template for drilling into door panel the nuts are already in the door on both sides. I removed the door panel, cut the head off a screw that fits the bolt in door and grinded it to a point re-installed door panel tapped with a hammer to indent a mark than placed the template that came with the door pulls over the marks and drilled for screw attachment real easy.
Rudy,
There are no nuts on the backside of my door panels. Is that what you're saying here? Mine MAY have had them cut off. When I bought the truck the old owner had put some extra long plastic armests that had the door pull built into them. I tossed those first thing.

I figured I'd just place the armrests wherever they felt best. Next trip to the Truck Shop I'll see what colors they have and buy a pair.

EDIT: Re-read what you wrote: Maybe you meant the nuts are in the door, not the door panel? SOunds about right. Then the headless bolt/pointed screw makes perfect sense. I'll go give it a look tonight after work.

Windshield
Also, Fabguy was telling me there's a local shop that quoted him a new windshield INSTALLED for $180 total!! Strikes me as a helluva deal. I'm going to call them today, mine's sandblasted.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #635
Rude Dude

Dan
I snapped a quick pic where location is

Quote:
Rudy,
There are no nuts on the backside of my door panels. Is that what you're saying here? Mine MAY have had them cut off. When I bought the truck the old owner had put some extra long plastic armests that had the door pull built into them. I tossed those first thing.

I figured I'd just place the armrests wherever they felt best. Next trip to the Truck Shop I'll see what colors they have and buy a pair.

EDIT: Re-read what you wrote: Maybe you meant the nuts are in the door, not the door panel? SOunds about right. Then the headless bolt/pointed screw makes perfect sense. I'll go give it a look tonight after work.

Windshield
Also, Fabguy was telling me there's a local shop that quoted him a new windshield INSTALLED for $180 total!! Strikes me as a helluva deal. I'm going to call them today, mine's sandblasted.
Attached Images

Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #636
Dan in Pasadena

Ah...ya me conozco! lol.

Smart thinking to do the pointy screws - I'll be stealing that little bit of "engineering!"
Old 06-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #637
Russell Ashley

When I said they didn't match my door I meant the color. It was the only blue they had. They came with a template but it was for a later model truck so I didn't use it. I just measured where the holes should be and drilled. They fit the factory mounting holes perfectly. The armrests are probably the same that most of the parts places sell, CounterParts if IRC. They come with the correct screws to mount them.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #638
Dan in Pasadena

Almost everything I get from The Truck Shop says "Counterpart" on the packaging. So far, I've been happy with all those parts. But honestly? I'd better stop buying parts and start installing some of them!

I'm guessing since Rudy showed the factory nuts in the door that these trucks DID come with arm rests? I always thought they didn't because my Dad's '59 Fleetside never had any.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #639
JR25

Quote:
Almost everything I get from The Truck Shop says "Counterpart" on the packaging. So far, I've been happy with all those parts. But honestly? I'd better stop buying parts and start installing some of them!
Yeah...... Get installing and taking some pictures! I always like to see the progress you are making, I really like what you have done to your truck!
Posted via Mobile Device
JR25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #640
Dan in Pasadena

Ha ha, yeah you're right.

It's about a 50-50 possiblity I'll be out of town this weekend helping a relative move. IF that happens then next weekend is the Brother's Show so I'll be doing catch-up household chores next Saturday. If not I'll possibly get some time this weekend and I'll miss the Brothers Show to do this same move next weekend!

Not sure when I'll get back to the truck, but I will. And there WILL be photos posted then because....well, I like doing it and I need encouragement to keep moving.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #641
cubber

Hey, Dan! Just read through because I saw this on the budget build thread. I love your truck, and your attention to detail makes it even better! It's also cool to see that y'all support and help each other over here just like we do in the 67-72 section. Really cool.

2003 Chevrolet Z71 Ext. Cab
1995 Cavalier gas saver!
cubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #642
Dan in Pasadena

Thank you Cubber for taking the time to read all my blah, blah, blah. Glad you like what I've done so far. I'm enjoying her, though its taking me longer than I thought it would...but everyone's got that complaint!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #643
dubie

i have found that over the years of building other trucks that whatever time frame I estimate it to take, realistically, I need to triple that.

You've come a long way in a short amount of time with your truck Dan. It's turned out to be a pretty damn nice looking driver

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #644
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks so much Tim.

For it to be a driver I feel comfortable in I need to move the gas tank out back, get the seat belts & dual MC (I already have) installed , and connect the existing Chevelle or Camaro emergency brake cables to the stock under-dash handle. I also need to figure out how to replace the mechanical water temp guage with an electric one from a '56 into it. There are a few differences I've gotta figure out.

After all that (really only a solid weekend's work if I can ever clear the time) I'll pull the bed to wire wheel & paint the frame, pull the dog house and do the same to the front frame and engine, etc. those are things I'm actually looking forward to.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #645
G&R's57GMC

Dan keep at it and get to the Brothers Show ! I know you can

Oh and keep your eye off the Bling, Bling stuff or we'll have to start you on a 12 step program
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #646
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC View Post
....Oh and keep your eye off the Bling, Bling stuff or we'll have to start you on a 12 step program
Ha Ha, it may be too late, I think I'm on the "chrome crack pipe"! The other day while browsing catalogs I found myself ogling the chrome seat adjustment handle! Talk about an obscure part to chrome or even care about!

Its looking like a longshot for me to make the Brothers Show. I WAS supposed to help my stepson move up in Atascadero this weekend but the home he is purchasing had some hang-ups and now it's looking like it'll be next weekend. Only a slim chance I can get back late Saturday night.

But I WILL be working on my truck this weekend since I now have time. Trying to get the seat belts in, the door repair done on at least one door so I can paint and put on the weather stripping. That way I'll only have one door rattling instead of stereo!
Old 06-27-2013, 11:46 PM   #647
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Dan, How are you coming along on patching the speaker holes? When I replaced the bottoms of my doors I didn't think I would be able to get them perfect so I masked off a section of the inside lower portion of my doors and sprayed them with paintable undercoating...
I tried this the other day on one door and the results for me were kinda....meh... I need a little more uniform texture. I am thinking of sanding/scraping it off and possibly trying a little roll on bed texture stuff. Not sure if I'll like that or not.

In hindsight my welding is the culprit. I'm getting a little real world lesson on the importance of fit-up - DOH!
Old 06-27-2013, 11:55 PM   #648
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Dan, How are you coming along on patching the speaker holes? When I replaced the bottoms of my doors I didn't think I would be able to get them perfect so I masked off a section of the inside lower portion of my doors and sprayed them with paintable undercoating...
UPDATE: Today I FINALLY had my old sandblasted, severe wiper-scratched windshield replaced. Used a little shop up in Sun Valley. And of course because it was HOT!!!! in SoCal today I ran out of gas on the freeway offramp. Sweated my butt off waiting for AAA, but they saved my foolish butt.

WOW, what a difference the windshield makes! It fits perfectly in 3 of 4 corners (DOH!). The driver's side upper inside corner rubber just would not lay flat. They worked on it almost three hours. They even removed the windshield twice and reinstalled it. Outside the rubber lays down perfectly flat all around. Inside too except that one corner. Tried using a heat gun too. It didn't make a difference, stayed puckered up. It was that way with the old rubber too though. I THINK its probably the rubber. I'm going back in a couple weeks to have my big back window R&R'ed with Steele Rubber. If it comes out good I'll order Steele for the front too.

iPhone is giving me trouble mailing photos so I can't show you anything right now, sorry.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 06-28-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:45 AM   #649
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Quote:
UPDATE: Today I FINALLY had my old sandblasted, severe wiper-scratched windshield replaced. Used a little shop up in Sun Valley. And of course because it was HOT!!!! in SoCal today I ran out of gas on the freeway offramp. Sweated my butt off waiting for AAA, but they saved my foolish butt.

WOW, what a difference the windshield makes! It fits perfectly in 3 of 4 corners (DOH!). The driver's side upper inside corner rubber just would not lay flat. They worked on it almost three hours. They even removed the windshield twice and reinstalled it. Outside the rubber lays down perfectly flat all around. Inside too except that one corner. Tried using a heat gun too. It didn't make a difference, stayed puckered up. It was that way with the old rubber too though. I THINK its probably the rubber. I'm going back in a couple weeks to have my big back window R&R'ed with Steele Rubber. If it comes out good I'll order Steele for the front too.

iPhone is giving me trouble mailing photos so I can't show you anything right now, sorry.
Congrats Dan, feels good too see where your really going, I was so used to druving the suburban that has the same windshield and when my new one was installed on my truck it was amazing. Even though I haven't driven it yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

My F.B. project page.
fabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:10 AM   #650
Russell Ashley

New windshield is my next upgrade. My new chrome for it came this week so I am hoping to get it done within the next couple of weeks. I had eye surgery two days ago so I'm not moving too fast right now. I definitely will need to get the wiper arm problem resolved before I put wipers back on the new windshield.