The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2019, 11:42 PM   #26
simicrintz

Re: new front leaf springs sitting crooked

"Dumbassery"; I like it! Good for you for figuring it out!
Old 01-14-2019, 01:16 PM   #27
cleszkie

So, even with the correction of the bushings the axle still sits and inch or so back on one side? If you frame is straight, axle perches are correctly aligned, and you have verified that both leaf spring packs have the same dimensions between spring eyes and from spring eyes to centering pins, then I would take a close look at the front spring eye mounts that are riveted to your frame. Has one of these been bent back, removed and welded into place, or otherwise tampered with? Again, just a thought.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:18 PM   #28
BIG BLOCK JIMMY

I know it sounds too hard to believe. That's what makes me go out to the garage three times a night thinking that it MUST be obvious, but I can't find any cause of it. Everything looks original, clean, uniform and correct.
I came across a picture the other night that was right before I took it to the shop to put the lift on. The driver's side wheel was centered in the wheel well. Now the wheel is obviously more forward. It has to be something they did, but it should still be obvious!
I have tried to make the measurements come out wrong on the springs, but they are the same on each side.
The lower shackle on the driver's side is angled forward and the passenger side is straight down, so I will have to measure more (again) on the front spring eye mounts.
I'm going to pull the front springs off and hopefully figure out what could be causing it.
The funny thing is the owner of the shop made a point to tell me that the axle was crooked and proceeded to say that the frame must be bent and so on. I did not listen because I was already highly irritated with them.

I will be out of town for a couple weeks so it will have to wait.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:22 PM   #29
jaros44sr

I wonder if someone left the old metal sleeves in from a past rebuild

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:42 PM   #30
lleff

in the picture i have circled an area on the axle tube that looks suspicious. almost as maybe the leaf spring perch was welded there at one time, also looks like a wear mark from a u bolt next to it. I'm not sure if this is the case it could just be my eyes playing a trick on me but it could be a possibility
Attached Images

lleff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:22 PM   #31
mister.freeze

I had this problem on my rear axle for years. It sure cornered one way a lot better than the other. When putting new shocks on, I finally took measurements. Turns out 1 spring was installed backwards. The sticker indicating which end was the front was on the wrong end, from the factory! Removed the spring from the offending side, installed it 'backwards,' and all was good.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:58 PM   #32
NW One

Looking back at your original pictures it almost looks like the perch is a little crooked in there, can you measure each side and compare? Thats the only contact point telling your shackle what angle to be in that picture? My right side rear is a little crooked so fought that for a little, they looked like that with no spring in.
NW One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:28 PM   #33
BIG BLOCK JIMMY

My apologies to those of you that responded and I failed to get back to you. I thought I received emails when someone posted but here's an uninformative update:
The Jimmy has been at multiple mechanic shops and two body shops for the greater part of this year. The frame is correct, straight and never damaged. No one can figure out why the front axle is not squared off or why the steering is so erratic. Everything measures out correctly. All steering components have been replaced except the column. An alignment was done, yet I'm constantly chasing the front end all over when I drive it.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:17 PM   #34
65imp

I had the exact same problem after installing my new leafs from ORD. Driver side front sat 1.5" too high. I eventually found an old bracket that was bolted to the underside of the frame that prevented rearward travel of the longer shackle. It was not apparent when the front was jacked in the air, but as the suspension settled it would touch, then restrict settling.
Pulled it off and all was well. I am sure you have had enough eyes that you would have found it if that was your problem. I hate to admit it took me a couple weeks before I noticed it.
65imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:48 PM   #35
Blazerowner

You’re probably talking about the bracket rear of the spring on the drivers side. I had to remove mine as well when I put my lift on. It’s there for “safety”. It’s believed they it’s to keep the spring from shoving through the floorboard in a collision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65imp View Post
I had the exact same problem after installing my new leafs from ORD. Driver side front sat 1.5" too high. I eventually found an old bracket that was bolted to the underside of the frame that prevented rearward travel of the longer shackle. It was not apparent when the front was jacked in the air, but as the suspension settled it would touch, then restrict settling.
Pulled it off and all was well. I am sure you have had enough eyes that you would have found it if that was your problem. I hate to admit it took me a couple weeks before I noticed it.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote