The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2017, 03:38 PM   #1
zachste

Anyone help ID my steering column

So I'm trying to figure out if I am really missing a washer or if it's a P model column. All spurred because I'm trying to chase down a "vibration" in the portion of the column right under the tilt portion of the column. I can put my hand on it and almost feels like something rattling against shell. So wondering if the bearings need to be preloaded/if I am missing that large washer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

zachste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:27 AM   #2
randy500
Account Suspended

Re: Anyone help ID my steering column

That appears to be an real truck tilt by the length of shaft where it attaches to the intermediate shaft and the shift indicator lens. It is missing the wire bearing retainer on the lower bearing.
Tilt columns do not need or use the spring that is currently installed. It is holding the bearing in place though.
There should be slight preload on the upper nut as seen in second pic. If preload adj is needed you must do it with column not attached to intermediate shaft.
The rattle could be something laying under the upper tin cover or the tilt bowl area. You could remove the upper tin cover and look around, probably remove the turn signal switch after the tin cover to see what may be loose.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:29 AM   #3
randy500
Account Suspended

The shift arm in he engine compartment should be straight and not bent at all, 90 degrees from column.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:35 AM   #4
Boog
laying low

flip'd.
Attached Images

91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:20 AM   #5
70shortfleet

Someone has moved the column closer to the dash for more room inside and that is why your lower shift tube arm is bent and the intermediate shaft has probably been shortened.
70shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:30 AM   #6
zachste

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
That appears to be an real truck tilt by the length of shaft where it attaches to the intermediate shaft and the shift indicator lens. It is missing the wire bearing retainer on the lower bearing.
Tilt columns do not need or use the spring that is currently installed. It is holding the bearing in place though.
There should be slight preload on the upper nut as seen in second pic. If preload adj is needed you must do it with column not attached to intermediate shaft.
The rattle could be something laying under the upper tin cover or the tilt bowl area. You could remove the upper tin cover and look around, probably remove the turn signal switch after the tin cover to see what may be loose.
Thanks for the info. I was pulling the turn signal switch but it didn't seem to want to come so I didn't want to force it out. I'll give it another go so I can try to get to the lower tin. The rattling is definitely in that lower tin, but doesn't actually transmit any vibration or anything to the actual column itself or the up to the wheel.

Thanks for turning the pics Boog, not sure what happened there. They were all right side up when I uploaded them.

Last edited by zachste; 06-25-2017 at 12:16 PM.
zachste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:41 AM   #7
randy500
Account Suspended

The tin is around the turn signal and has to be removed first because the switch wiring path and size of the switch does not allow removal with the tin installed. There is a special tool to pull the tin cover
Old 06-25-2017, 09:48 AM   #8
randy500
Account Suspended

To remove the tin cover without the proper tool...

Remove shift indicator housing
Remove light bulb green plastic cover and metal cover under that, then remove light bulb.
Remove tilt and turn signal levers.
Using a chisel or flat blade screwdriver and hammer tap off tin cover. With column installed you may need to remove the gauge panel to make clearance for hammer and chisel. Search for this thread "tilt column gurus" for more advise