The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
WYOMING72

Header vs ramshorn exhaust manifold

Do headers give much power over the stock ramhorn manifolds on a 383 build with a small cam? Not looking for a race car just a cruising truck...
WYOMING72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
Dunenutt
Newbee

Re: Header vs ramshorn exhaust manifold

Being that most headers are a real pain in the rear, I would say no. You may gain a little, but ramhorns flow pretty good. Headers don't really start performing until the motor is turning some serious rev's.
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
Lee H

Headers offer about 10-15 Ponys over ram horns. It takes 20 HP to feel any difference in the seat of ones pants.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
cj_69_911

i swaped my ram horns for headers and really like them. only problem i ran into was the clutch z bar. just my 2 cents.
cj_69_911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

I'm running ramhorns on my 383 and I'll say its just what your looking for. I also just finished my ss magnaflow x pipe system and its really nice!
Posted via Mobile Device
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunenutt View Post
Being that most headers are a real pain in the rear, I would say no. You may gain a little, but ramhorns flow pretty good. Headers don't really start performing until the motor is turning some serious rev's.
I agree
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:47 AM   #7
hjewell2

If you are not turning 5000 RPM or above you can run stock manifold and stock exhaust out the back.
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
TobyArnot
Quit if it's not FUN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_69_911 View Post
i swaped my ram horns for headers and really like them. only problem i ran into was the clutch z bar. just my 2 cents.
and on the flip side, I swapped some long tube headers for smoothed ram horns and simple duals. NO MORE LEAKS !
Spend all you've got,
Late in life, you'll think of the things you didn't do, not the things you did. - Get out and experience life !
Robbie Robinson a.k.a. TobyArnot (Toe Bee or not toe bee)
TobyArnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
Dano69c10

Flip-side for me too! I junked the headers for ramhorns and felt the difference immediately. More get up and go! (in all fairness, the headers were cheapos).

It ain't yours, if you didn't build it!
Dano69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
sir_talk_alot

Ive debated whether to pull my long tubes for ramhorns. I listed my ramhorns for sale on cl, notsure if i should keep or sell.
Posted via Mobile Device

'94 GMT 400 ext z71 3" body, 3 in rough country, hd mirrors, 20" motometals on 35s
sir_talk_alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #11
Heavy Evy
born to lose

I put headers on my truck when I was 15 and now (im 24) I wish I wouldn't have. They leak like crazy and burn up plug wires easily if not routed right. I would say stay away unless your building a monster rpm motor.
Posted via Mobile Device

'67 Chevy Belair Wagon 283 Powerglide
'68 Chevy II Nova 2 door 350 TH400 Sold!!
'71 Chevy C20 350 TH350
'71 Chevy C10 Burb 350 TH350 stolen totalled gone....

Burb Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=475155

Nova Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=498979

Wagon Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543052

Not giving a truck.
Heavy Evy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
Dunenutt
Newbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_talk_alot View Post
Ive debated whether to pull my long tubes for ramhorns. I listed my ramhorns for sale on cl, notsure if i should keep or sell.
Posted via Mobile Device
You could always buy these

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tru-Ra...olds,3823.html
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #13
dan42

One more vote for ramhorns. They are quiet, seal good, and for the street, the power is fine.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #14
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Never understood why all the fuss that headers are bad. I've been runnin' headers on every truck or car I have owned for the last 30 years. No problems.

I'm not syain' they are all that much better than the ramhorns on a stock rig. But they are not the big pain in the tush that a lot of cats think they are.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #15
1972RedNeck

I used 2 1/2" ramhorns on my 383.

I found THIS awhile ago.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:28 AM   #16
sanford66

I vote headers. I had stock manifolds with Fowmaster 40's on my 72. I swapped them out for headers, 2 1/2" pipe and flowmaster 40's that dump in front of the rearend. It made a noticable difference in my truck! The main difference is the sound, a lot louder than the manifolds and full tailpipes, thats ok, the louder the better for me. I also did notice a slight boost in off throttle response as well. I really don't know why everyone dogs headers so much, they require some routine maintenance just like every thing else on these old trucks! Just run some good quality gaskets and you will be ok. Joseph
1954 Delray 2-door sedan [rat rod project]
sanford66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:03 AM   #17
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: Header vs ramshorn exhaust manifold

Ok I'll post here again.
Looking at the speedway ramhorns I see no truck ramhorns just car.

So does anybody know if these are a bolt on deal. My orignal ramhorns are turned back to miss the motor mounts. These are straight down and all the ones I've seen on their site are the same way.
Just wondering if I've missed something.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:01 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

I am another one who doesn't get where all the negative views on headers comes from. When I started driving,everyone put headers on everything and I just thought they were cool. If they only help at high rpms,why did people put them on RVs to get more power? I have never thought of headers as being a hassle I think they are easier to deal with than manifolds. I have rarely had a leak problem and when I did it was a long time after they were installed. It's easy to occasionally tighten the bolts on the head,not that I ever have had to on my '72 that has had the same headers & gaskets since '04 without me ever needing to lay a hand on them. When the collector gaskets go,it's easy to replace them. A lot easier than replacing a donut gasket. And what about those pesky studs on manifolds? Who doesn't hate messing with those. The guys I know who do exhaust systems sure hate messing with them. I've had more problems from manifolds than headers. Haven't had any header problems that I can recall. I've had manifolds blow out and even break apart due to fatigue of the cast iron on two of my trucks. I'm not dogging manifolds,but my experience (in 40 years) has been more problems with manifolds,which is why I don't understand all the dogging on headers. And,nowadays they sell quality gaskets,unlike the cheap ones that were all we had years ago. Plug wires burned up? Just run your wires right and you won't have an issue...I don't.

Why do people swap intake manifolds? A stock 4bbl cast iron manifold will never leak like aftermarket aluminums are known to do. And,with normal driving you really won't see a great benefit for your money. I always swapped them just because that's what everyone was doing 40 years ago,just like headers.

Headers are just cool

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #19
Boog
laying low

You can do a little diggin and find exhaust system comparisons. There have been dozens of them by different magazines over the years for high perf motors and street driven stockers.
A tuned length header will build more power in a certain rpm band. Main tube length and diameter as well as collector length determine at what rpm the headers are most beneficial. You wouldn't want to run a header tuned for high rpm use puttin around town nor would you want to run a header tuned for low end torque in a high speed race situation.
Headers do give the vehicle a different exhaust note. To some loud pipes make them think they have more power. IMO some smooth ramhorns flow plenty for anything up to 400 hp or so.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #20
Sideways

I have three trucks I drive right now, two with headers and one with manifolds.When I had the exhaust done on my 72 GMC I had the fellow use 2 1/4" pipe and it works well. With a rv cam it still sounds stock,but with my DD I used 2 1/4" and headers and still running the stock cam it does sound hotter than the stock manifolds.

I personally have not had any issues with headers mind you I have always bought new Hedman's and I love the sound of the cam when using headers.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #21
HeavyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Ok I'll post here again.
Looking at the speedway ramhorns I see no truck ramhorns just car.

So does anybody know if these are a bolt on deal. My orignal ramhorns are turned back to miss the motor mounts. These are straight down and all the ones I've seen on their site are the same way.
Just wondering if I've missed something.
I am betting the straight dumps hit. Seems to me I recall in a thread regarding the Vette 2.5 manifolds that the exhaust will hit the mounts, so I imagine these true rams will as well.