The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2019, 07:10 PM   #176
Jason 56

Re: 1958 SWB C4 Fleetside - NZ Build

Looking great! Sucks that one trunion is messed up. Especially with your shipping distance. Did you end up changing all the bearings?
Old 07-21-2019, 08:09 PM   #177
QBRacing

Re: 1958 SWB C4 Fleetside - NZ Build

Jason.
I only changed the cam bearings as they really did look shot. Looking at the main and rods they looked like new so I just oiled them up and placed them back in as they may have been done previously (i dunno). The rings and oil scraper looked in super good nick too

And I LOVE SUMMIT.
They have just agreed to send me out another complete BTR trunion kit to replace the 1 damaged trunion and bearing shell and told me that because of the distance and freight costs not to worry about returning the kit once done (15 free tunions for later just incase) ..... score. I guess living so far away, in paradise, in the lower corner of the pacific does have its bonuses some times.

Insert VIDEO LINK HERE

Q

Last edited by QBRacing; 07-22-2019 at 12:50 AM.
QBRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:42 AM   #178
QBRacing

Talking Re: 1958 SWB C4 Fleetside - NZ Build

Think I've mentioned it earlier but I plan on using a 94-96 Cutlass column which had tilt steering, Auto on tree, and indicator with cruise.

When I started this a few weeks back there was a bolt already broken off in one of the pins so I had the local engineering shop get it out for me. After that I ended up buying in the special tool from Amazon to remove the pins and for the $10 freighted to my door it was well worth it.

The plan I come up with was to use the factory mounting style to mount the column to the truck dash but the cutlass column was a larger diameter.

I should have cut down the brackets and simply put a larger tube around both halves but by the time I thought that out I had already cut the outer bracketing of the column.

Might be time to refer to another video.

Now I just need to remove the lower bearing and the external fork bit to pull the tube which needs extending about 170mm so I can put it all back together.

If that dosn't make sence, watch the video
Attached Images

QBRacing is offline   Reply With Quote