The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2008, 11:28 PM   #76
GMBowtie79
Surviving, one day at a time!

Re: $999 for a Dropmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom 68 View Post
ok this may be answered already maybe in another thread if so point me there... does this change (decrease) the track width? my track in the front is too wide after my disk upgrade. I being on a budget would use my stock arms sounds like this changes the geoetry to make the truck handle better.
Secondly with a name like "drop member" does this change or drop the front ride height? sounds like it would but dont know? Again I would use my static drop spindles and static springs? I need the rack and pinion steering but will all this work together?
thanks in advance
Dave
The Dropmember does narrow the track width a little bit. It is ment to be used with air bags so you won't be using your springs but your spindles will work check out post 33 of this thread on page 2 it tells alot more about whats needed to put one in.
GMBowtie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:32 PM   #77
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
ok this may be answered already maybe in another thread if so point me there... does this change (decrease) the track width? my track in the front is too wide after my disk upgrade. I being on a budget would use my stock arms sounds like this changes the geoetry to make the truck handle better.
Secondly with a name like "drop member" does this change or drop the front ride height? sounds like it would but dont know? Again I would use my static drop spindles and static springs? I need the rack and pinion steering but will all this work together?
thanks in advance
Dave

The trac width is narrowed approx. 1.5" per side.

Your factory arms will work with the Dropmember, but you will be required to switch to an airbag instead of the factory steel coil springs. We have done several installs where we use a schrader valve in the air bag giving it a set static height. This allows the customer to forego the expense of an adjustable air system, yet take advantage of the ride quality that air springs offer. With the schrader valve you still have adjustability... just not on the go.

The Dropmember moves all the suspension/steering components up in the chassis, similar to a "Z" without cutting the frame. It will lower your truck just by bolting it in. Other advantages include improved suspension and steering geometry, wheel center-line is moved forward and centered in the wheel wells, and rack and pinion steering gives improved steering response.

With your 2.5" drop spindles, and a 27" tall tire your ride height will be between 5 and 6" measured from the bottom of the frame section, located under the cab, to the ground.

Feel free to ask any other questions you may need answered.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:35 PM   #78
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBowtie79 View Post
The Dropmember does narrow the track width a little bit. It is ment to be used with air bags so you won't be using your springs but your spindles will work check out post 33 of this thread on page 2 it tells alot more about whats needed to put one in.
Somebody's been doing their research! Thanks for the help... you obviously type faster than I do!

Also, I had another member/future Dropmember owner find another good deal on a rack and pinion unit from Summit.

Summit part# SUM-770603 it runs $195.95.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 09-22-2008, 11:52 PM   #79
GMBowtie79
Surviving, one day at a time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterbuilt View Post
Somebody's been doing their research! Thanks for the help... you obviously type faster than I do!

Also, I had another member/future Dropmember owner find another good deal on a rack and pinion unit from Summit.

Summit part# SUM-770603 it runs $195.95.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
You also might want to look at Speedway Motors they have a steel braded power steering hose kit that works on a 82 88 T-bird/Mustang II rack with a GM pump P/N 617-4835 for about $120 for those who are looking for that little extra bling. www.speedwaymotors.com

Last edited by GMBowtie79; 09-22-2008 at 11:52 PM.
GMBowtie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:57 PM   #80
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
You also might want to look at Speedway Motors they have a steel braded power steering hose kit that works on a 82 88 T-bird/Mustang II rack with a GM pump P/N 617-4835 for about $120 for those who are looking for that little extra bling. www.speedwaymotors.com
I haven't used any line kits from Speedway, and would recommend making a phone call to verify it will work... and has ALL the fittings. I know the T-bird rack differs from the Mustang... not sure if the threads for the lines would be different (it would make sense for them to be the same, but...)

I have used a few different line kits from a few different companies. Borgeson is the preferred choice. Their kits have ALL the necessary fittings, and are very affordable. They offer the rubber lines or the braided stainless.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 09-23-2008, 07:53 AM   #81
Custom 68

Man, I dont know how you find the time to answer all these detailed questions and come up with the new new parts! I had been following this post as well as the others and had read about the narrowing of the track but didnt know the "all" did this or if it was an option now I know
Again your customer service before the purchase is above all I can only imagine it after and during a sale. I am going to do some measuring on my stuff it sounds like this is an affordable option
again thanks
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:08 PM   #82
Project SIKty-5

Hey Clint, any news on the release of the 6 link setup for 60-72 trucks yet?? I called about 4 months ago and was told it was a couple months away from being released.
Project SIKty-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:12 PM   #83
Project SIKty-5

Hey porter, you were saying that with a firestone bag, you get a 1/2" lower? Will a slam bag keep me from fully laying out, if I plan to run around a 30" tire combo??

I applaud you for the work on the dropmember, not only are you making an effort to lower vehicles, but now prices?? It doesn't get any better....keep up the good work man, I'm about to be another satisfied customer
Old 09-23-2008, 08:13 PM   #84
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project SIKty-5 View Post
Hey porter, you were saying that with a firestone bag, you get a 1/2" lower? Will a slam bag keep me from fully laying out, if I plan to run around a 30" tire combo??

I applaud you for the work on the dropmember, not only are you making an effort to lower vehicles, but now prices?? It doesn't get any better....keep up the good work man, I'm about to be another satisfied customer

There will be a little more mods needed to get a 30" tire to lay out up front... slam or firestone. You could either mod the lower arm (drop the bag mount) to get the extra drop, or I can change the height of the upper bag mount.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 09-24-2008, 12:01 AM   #85
FnLow69

Quote:

I've tried one from fatman fabrication and the hose itself was plastic and trying to put the fittings on was a big pain. Not sure what speedways hoses are made of but just for fyi i tought it was not worth the money...
FnLow69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:18 AM   #86
nuke1

Nat, i run a small buisiness up here in canada and was thinking of ordering one of your drop members, i would like to promote your buisiness up here. my question is it possible to use cpp upper and lower control arms with it, or even just the uppers with a set of arts on the bottom, and do i have to use airbags, will there be mounts for springs in the future. I would be comfortable with coilovers if i have to modify the lowers to accomodate what i want to do then that is not a big deal. Thanx for you time. James
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587

Last edited by nuke1; 09-24-2008 at 03:19 AM.
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:11 PM   #87
RunninLo
3DrDwn--the 'burb not the band

Quote:
Man, I dont know how you find the time to answer all these detailed questions and come up with the new new parts! I had been following this post as well as the others and had read about the narrowing of the track but didnt know the "all" did this or if it was an option now I know
Again your customer service before the purchase is above all I can only imagine it after and during a sale. I am going to do some measuring on my stuff it sounds like this is an affordable option
again thanks
Dave
Nate's customer service is the BEST i have EVER seen in over 20 years in the automotive industry. I have been everywhere from the kid reading the mags and dreaming to owning and operating my own shop and from either side I truely have never experienced better. Some can call it "man crush" if they want to but I'll assure you it's nothing short of pure satisfaction with both parts and policy. It makes his products more valuable than ANY of the knock-offs and is the true value of a Porterbuilt piece.

Quote:
Hey Clint, any news on the release of the 6 link setup for 60-72 trucks yet?? I called about 4 months ago and was told it was a couple months away from being released.
I too was told "a few months" back in Oct of 07 and am now a year later just about to install my rear DropMember in my '72 burb. Don't get me wrong I love KP and order from them whenever possible, although Clint was playing hookey when I placed my last order 2 weeks ago, but having a matched front and rear DropMember installed now was the better way to go. KP has had some growing pains with their joining forces with Alton Chassis works but I'm sure it will only make them better. You won't get a bad deal from them if you continue to wait but the rear DropMember is shipping now.

just my $.02

Josh

'89 GMC Dually crew build page coming soon.
88 4x4 crew DD

duallys past/present pics here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...46#post4001246

89 1 ton Dually rear flip kit install here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=354327
RunninLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:45 PM   #88
edflores

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterbuilt View Post
I can change the height of the upper bag mount.
would you charge extra for that? i have 2.5 western chassis spindles on my 2wd k5 and im running 22"rims with a 265/35 but i may want 24s at a later date.
also, my friend just bought a 71 k5. i know another member installed a dropmember in his, i want to know what is involved in making the switch from 4wd to your 2wd. i cut off an entire 90 burb front clip with arms spindles brakes and all so we have most the stuff to make it happen

and how long will the price drop be good for? i think my budget should allow me to get this by my birthday (nov 27).
edflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:52 PM   #89
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edflores View Post
would you charge extra for that? i have 2.5 western chassis spindles on my 2wd k5 and im running 22"rims with a 265/35 but i may want 24s at a later date.
also, my friend just bought a 71 k5. i know another member installed a dropmember in his, i want to know what is involved in making the switch from 4wd to your 2wd. i cut off an entire 90 burb front clip with arms spindles brakes and all so we have most the stuff to make it happen

and how long will the price drop be good for? i think my budget should allow me to get this by my birthday (nov 27).
Lots of questions....

I do not charge extra for moving the bag mounts. In your case I could set them up to get more drop, and you would have to run a spacer or small cup on the lower arm while you ran the shorter tires.

As for the 4WD to 2WD conversion... it's basically the same install as in a 2WD except you have to remove some spring hangers and misc. brackets, and then measure and drill the mounting holes in the frame. I will have a template and instructions for the square body conversion in a month or so, and then the 63-72 chassis once I do another conversion! I wasn't thinking ahead when I did Kyle's blazer.

The price on the new design should be good for a while... it would take a large increase in my steel cost to make it fluctuate much at all.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 09-24-2008, 10:52 PM   #90
jasonb72
PorterBuilt Man Crush

I hadd CPP uppers and lowers, the lowers will not work, the bump stop is too large and makes contact with the bag and the DM. You would have to mod the cpp lower quite a bit to make it work. That is why I sold them and got the art's. They are actually cheaper than CPP's anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke1 View Post
Nat, i run a small buisiness up here in canada and was thinking of ordering one of your drop members, i would like to promote your buisiness up here. my question is it possible to use cpp upper and lower control arms with it, or even just the uppers with a set of arts on the bottom, and do i have to use airbags, will there be mounts for springs in the future. I would be comfortable with coilovers if i have to modify the lowers to accomodate what i want to do then that is not a big deal. Thanx for you time. James
Old 09-24-2008, 10:55 PM   #91
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb72 View Post
I hadd CPP uppers and lowers, the lowers will not work, the bump stop is too large and makes contact with the bag and the DM. You would have to mod the cpp lower quite a bit to make it work. That is why I sold them and got the art's. They are actually cheaper than CPP's anyway.

Also, CPP's upper arm has been lengthened to compensate for camber issues when using in a factory lowered suspension... so, neither the upper nor lowers would be compatible.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Last edited by PBFAB.COM; 09-24-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:58 PM   #92
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke1 View Post
James-

In your situation you should be able to get away with using the lower arm, since you are wanting to run coil-overs. It would definitely needed to be modified. I don't think the uppers will work out due to the extended length.

I should have the coil-over option all figured out within a month or so.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Last edited by PBFAB.COM; 09-24-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:07 PM   #93
jasonb72
PorterBuilt Man Crush

My bad Nate
Old 09-24-2008, 11:09 PM   #94
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb72 View Post
My bad Nate
I wasn't even aware of the uppers being an issue when we first talked about your set... I had recieved some conflicting information from CPP when I first called and asked!

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 09-25-2008, 12:50 AM   #95
Rokcrln

So how are shipping dates looking?

I have some time off work and want to play

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:39 AM   #96
nuke1

thanx for your help, i guess i have a month to figure out what i want to do. appreciated!
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:22 AM   #97
Project SIKty-5

I'm not doubting the rear dropmember by porter....what I liked about the KP set-up was the amount of lift and the canti set-up. I believe porter was saying the rear dropmember was getting about 7 inches of lift???

I can't wait 'til I order my dropmember....it's been too long since I was down in the weeds
Old 09-25-2008, 12:26 PM   #98
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
I'm not doubting the rear dropmember by porter....what I liked about the KP set-up was the amount of lift and the canti set-up. I believe porter was saying the rear dropmember was getting about 7 inches of lift???

I can't wait 'til I order my dropmember....it's been too long since I was down in the weeds
That's correct, the Dropmember rear only gets a hair more than 7" of lift. The KP set-up is designed to get more than that! I am sure it will be an exceptional piece once they get it completed.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 09-25-2008, 12:30 PM   #99
SCOTI

Quote:

I do like KP's rear set-up but . . .... what good is >7" of lift when your front can't match it? I can't think of much mechanical or ride advantage w/the 6-link & if the bag placement is right on competing systems.

Seems to me the 6-links benefit is it's easily adjusted for changes in rolling stock overall diameter while maintaining the ability to lay the frame on the ground.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 09-25-2008 at 12:31 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:43 PM   #100
BACKYARD88
On the fast track to nowhere..

Well, now I have to consider where I'm at on my frame. To sell or not to sell I'd really like to have one of these.

Norwood, Houston, Cecilia, Jackson, Monroe and counting
BACKYARD88 is offline   Reply With Quote