The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2018, 08:20 PM   #1
64stpside

AHHHHH!! can't get in gear after t5 swap

I did a T5 swap in my 64 C10,has a late 70s 305v8. It had a 3 spd sag in it.
Today I got the new drive shaft installed as it was the last thing I needed before starting it and checking everything out.
The trans will not got into gear while running. I brought the slack between the clutch fork and rod up to near no movement. z-bar (new) is tight.
I did the jeep input shaft swap following lugnutz instructions on his website. The shaft was swapped in by a trans guy with 24 yrs experience at a gm dealer.
The ONLY thing that didn't go smoothly is I boogered up the pilot bushing when I installed it. I used a small file to clean up the burs. looked good after I did that.
I'm wondering if the input shaft is stuck in the pilot bushing and that's keeping the input shaft spinning regardless if the clutch is fully engaged.
Just in case I bought a wrong part, here's the list for the parts I bought from rock auto (the bearing, syncro and seals worked):

clutch http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....334289&jsn=259
flywheel http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....=65825&jsn=266
input shaft http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....776876&jsn=270
64stpside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:39 PM   #2
jayoldschool

Re: AHHHHH!! can't get in gear after t5 swap

When I had this issue with my T56, it was due to air in the hydraulic line. The throw was not enough on the clutch force. I suspect you are having the same issue (not enough throw).
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:07 PM   #3
64stpside

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
When I had this issue with my T56, it was due to air in the hydraulic line. The throw was not enough on the clutch force. I suspect you are having the same issue (not enough throw).
Yeah, i thought of that too. Outside of messing with the pedal, i wonder what else i can do?
Im still on mechanical linkage.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:12 PM   #4
mehoff400

have you had someone press the clutch while you look at the throw out bearing? i know for mine i had to adjust the rod almost all the way out to get the clutch to work correctly.

My truck
mehoff400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:58 PM   #5
64stpside

I was right, the input shaft was hung up in the pilot bushing. I ruled out pedal throw by having my wife start to slowly push the pedal down while it was in gear while i pushed the truck forward and it started rolling when the pedal was 1/2 way down. Then i jacked up the rear and put it in gear, had her push the clutch in and i spun the rear tires by hand several times forward and backward, jumped in the truck and started it up, and it went in gear just fine😉
I'm a little nervous as i hope i eliminated the problem completely .