The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2018, 03:53 AM   #1
DJAD

Dropped leafs on stock suspension.

Hi members.
This is my first post! I am from Nairobi, Kenya and I have become proud owner of a stock 1957 3100 Chevy truck and ready to embark on this exciting restoration journey. I would like to start from the ground up and been reading about all types of suspension set ups. seem many people are going the independent suspension route. At the moment that is out of my reach due to cost and also high shipping costs.
I would like to lower the truck but not slammed. just a nice low stance, with a good ride quality. I initially though of just yanking out a few leaf springs from both front and rear but i know that will affect the handling and general suspension. i have opted for 3" lowered leafs for the front and 4" lowered leafs for the rear.
Some pics for stock trucks with just lowered front and rear leafs would help a lot, and also the wheel/tire combination coz i would also like to eliminate that gap between the tire and the fender and still keep the wheels well tucked in. I am thinking of 16x7 rims in front and 16x8 rears. Thinking of disc brakes all round and i already have a 400 sbc motor.
Thanks!
Attached Images

DJAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:33 PM   #2
my56chevytruck

Re: Dropped leafs on stock suspension.

did you happen to consider lowering blocks?? they come in multiple sizes and that would be by far the cheapest route to take. You could leave your entire suspension as is
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:38 PM   #3
MiraclePieCo

Cool truck! Are there many old trucks in Kenya?
Old 07-24-2018, 11:49 PM   #4
DJAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by my56chevytruck View Post
did you happen to consider lowering blocks?? they come in multiple sizes and that would be by far the cheapest route to take. You could leave your entire suspension as is
Thank you for this advice. Will read up on them and most likely reconsider.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:53 PM   #5
DJAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Cool truck! Are there many old trucks in Kenya?
Thanks! Not many unfortunately. i know of only 3 other Chevy trucks that have been restored, but I'm sure there are more which are grounded and rusting away up country.
Also as you have noticed, it is a Right Hand Drive which also makes getting some parts even more of a challenge.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:20 PM   #6
Dan in Pasadena

Djad - Welcome to the forum. Lots of very knowledgeable guys here whether you're doing a perfectly stock restoration or an all out, money-be-damned show truck and anything in between.

Let me give you the mantra for old cars and trucks:

1. Make it Stop
2. Make it Go
3. Make it Cool.

When you post and do work, please make sure to post a lot of pictures. I know I am very interested in knowing what is available for a vintage car/truck enthusiast in Africa as well as the availability of tools, people with the expertise you need to help, etc.

Best of luck.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 07-30-2018 at 01:53 AM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:34 AM   #7
DJAD

Thank you, Dan for the input. As you can imagine there were not many trucks exported to this part of the world so basically that means zero parts. I have to import everything from the U.S and that involves crazy shipping costs and taxes, not to mention the duration it takes to receive the parts. On the upside though we have very skilled welders and fabricators etc though i prefer replacing with original body panels. Will keep posting the pics once the project fully takes off in about 2 weeks. i am determined to make this custom resto 57 Chevy the coolest this side of the world.
heres a recap:

1. Make it stop: front disc brakes: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-56-57-...-/262812253591

2. Make it go: 400sbc motor (with high lift cam I'm told) and 700R4 trans (Both already purchased)

3. Make it cool: lowered stance and custom wheels (front with 3" drop leafs and rear with 2" blocks. still reading up on best tire and wheel combo to a avoid fender rubbing)
Old 07-28-2018, 08:00 AM   #8
Katrina/10

Good luck with your project! It will be interesting to watch someone rebuild an old American truck in Nairobi. One thing I have found is front drop leafs may not give you as much lowering as you want. You are limited in the upward travel of the axle in any case.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:00 PM   #9
DJAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina/10 View Post
Good luck with your project! It will be interesting to watch someone rebuild an old American truck in Nairobi. One thing I have found is front drop leafs may not give you as much lowering as you want. You are limited in the upward travel of the axle in any case.
Thank you! Already enjoying just reading up on the topics here. Thanks for the input on the front drop suspension. Initially i thought i would just slap on some drop spindles but learnt thats not the case unless i do a mustang suspension swap. I don't want it slammed though. My main dilemma now is wheel/tire size.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:11 PM   #10
Katrina/10

You might want to look into a dropped solid axle, it's the only way to appreciably lower the front end of these things without going to IFS. I like 15 inch tires, what kind of selection do you have in Nairobi?

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Old 07-29-2018, 06:36 PM   #11
DJAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina/10 View Post
You might want to look into a dropped solid axle, it's the only way to appreciably lower the front end of these things without going to IFS. I like 15 inch tires, what kind of selection do you have in Nairobi?
I have read up on the dropped axles. They actually sit closer to the ground as opposed to the dropped leafs which only push the body closer to the axle (i could be wrong?). I would prefer the former as our speed bumps out here are more like humps...
As for tires, i am torn between 15s and 16s. We have most sizes here but i would have to get the wheels from the States. Size will always depend on what will fit especially in the front fenders with disc brakes...sigh
Old 07-30-2018, 05:45 PM   #12
Katrina/10

Yes, the axle beam will be closer to the road by the same amount as the axle drop. I'm sure you can estimate how much clearance you would have by measuring your current setup, then subtract the drop. In most cases, it would still be enough, but I have no idea what you are dealing with on the roads there. Any typical size 15 or 16 inch tire will work with the disc brakes and drop, as long as it's not crazy wide.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Old 07-31-2018, 07:13 AM   #13
Mac the Yankee

DJAD,

If you want to maintain a factory stock look for the wheels, later C10 wheels with 4 hubcap "nubs" will clear disc brakes.
Mac the Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:07 AM   #14
DJAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac the Yankee View Post
DJAD,

If you want to maintain a factory stock look for the wheels, later C10 wheels with 4 hubcap "nubs" will clear disc brakes.
Thanks Mac.
i am actually looking at some aftermarket 16" wheels. Still looking around online to decide, but definitely not chrome bling. More of a gun metal finish.