The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2005, 12:07 PM   #1
'70_402

Tips on doing a Frame Off

To all of you guys that have done a frame off resto..i will be doing mine in about 3 months and was wondering what kind of troubles you ran into or things that you thought you might be able to reuse that you weren't able to..also is there anything that i need to buy that would not be usuall replacement stuff that i need to start looking for now??

basically just curious on your experences and lessons learned..(that's what this board is about right!!)

Thanks

Rick
Old 02-01-2005, 12:49 PM   #2
TEXAS 68
Vortec in the works

I'm still in the middle of my first frame off. The first thing to realize is if you plan on a time frame to complete don't be surprised if it takes longer than expected. If you do most of the work yourself (like me) when you get to the point of some reassembly of new and painted parts it's worth the blood and sweat. Good Luck and keep us posted

68 Project

68 SWB frame off/98 Vortec with stock FI/power everything.
95 ECLB 2500 with 346,000 on the clock(the original HD)
99 Lesabre-wifes ride
08 Crew Cab LTZ-All Mine
89 SWB 5/7 drop-Son's first ride.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:17 PM   #3
saxmo

the first thing is to decide which direction you are going. i.e. original resto, custom, wild, etc. Then you can accumulate catalogs and resources (this site is the best resource) and begin your parts buying! yippeee!! Got to make sure your tools are up to the task (especially if doing the work yourself). I have had to delay my time schedule several times because of equipment upgrades taking my extra cash from the project parts. I am currently entertaining the idea of an air compressor upgrade to the tune of $700, so there is a money-driven delay.
1997 Ford F150 4.2L 500k+ miles (trash hauler)
2011 Nissan Juke (wife's daily driver)
1943 Ford GPW WWII jeep (waiting its' turn)
Old 02-01-2005, 02:27 PM   #4
Bamm
Cowboy Fan for Life!!!!!!

I'm in the fifth year of my 2 year frame off restoration. Actually I bought another parts truck and I am doing the frame up build on that frame. One hint of advice, Buy a bunch of the ziploc freezer bags that you can write on and a pack of sharpies. Keep the nuts and bolts to each part in a seperate baggie. You will end up with probably 25 bags, but you won't have to play "guess which bolt I need" when the rebuild time comes around. I will never take another thing apart without doing this. As far as time, take what you honestly think will be enough time and double it. As far as money, take what you think it will cost and double it. I am not kidding. This is pretty much par for the course and I'd bet most of the guys on here will agree with me. Last, but not least, take lots of pictures for the guys on that cool website you hang out at.
...........Jerry
18 x 8 Torque Thrust II's
Future mods: All new gauges & wood bed
My Zip is 23002
I ship UPS, USPS
Old 02-01-2005, 02:54 PM   #5
rickspickuppart
Account Suspended

Before the first bolt is turned make sure you have a real good mental idea of how it will look like after it is done. Nothing sux more than having everything painted/powdercoated/plated then finding something that needs to be welded.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:25 PM   #6
CHEVYE
my gas saver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamm 24
. One hint of advice, Buy a bunch of the ziploc freezer bags that you can write on and a pack of sharpies. Keep the nuts and bolts to each part in a seperate baggie. You will end up with probably 25 bags, but you won't have to play "guess which bolt I need"
that`s good advice. i always take all of my wiring and label the ends/connectors with tape and mark them too. the biggest problem i`m running into is lifting the heavy things. i just moved to a new area and don`t have any neighbors to help at all. try getting a cab of when it`s just you. you have to get a little inventive.
ebay feedback
Old 02-01-2005, 03:40 PM   #7
J.Lance
Too many is never enough!

I'm in the middle of two frame off restorations. Both are currently stalled because my trucks are currently in another state (I moved, they haven't made it yet). My advice is to mentally prepare yourself. Pretty easy to get bored or burned out on a big project. That's how I ended up with two! Needed a change of scenery from the first and started a second. Don't recommend that!

Anyhow, I finally figured out a good philosophy. Looking at the project as a whole can tend to be overwhelming. There is a ton to do. More than likely twice the time and twice the money than you originally planned. I started breaking it out in my mind to a bunch of "mini projects". For instance, remove front clip might be one project. Once that is done, move onto the next, i.e. clean and prep frame for paint. Don't move onto another "project" until the previous one is complete. Write it all down and go step by step if you have to. Distractions can be a killer and sometimes it can be hard to get back on track.

Be ready to face some occasional frustration as well. Parts don't fit right, bought the wrong bolt, etc... A good idea to walk away and take a break. Always seems to work out once you're looking at it from a fresh perspective at a later time. Good luck.

Jason

1968 K10 SWB Fleetside
1971 K2500 GMC LWB
1968 K20 (later frame, donor body)
1972 C20 LWB parts truck
1993 K2500 Suburban, tow rig, 454, 4L80E
NEW!! 18' Siem's car hauler
2004 Honda Odyssey (family man!)
Old 02-01-2005, 04:06 PM   #8
Bamm
Cowboy Fan for Life!!!!!!

Jason is absolutly right. Work on it a section at a time. One of the things that battles against you is that you have mapped out everything you want to do, and if you're like me have a pile of stuff that you have purchased stacked up in the corner waiting to be installed. Thats when you try to rush things to get to the final stage. My advice, finish every step before starting another. Win a lot of small victories, don't spread yourself too thin........Jerry
18 x 8 Torque Thrust II's
Future mods: All new gauges & wood bed
My Zip is 23002
I ship UPS, USPS
Old 02-01-2005, 09:21 PM   #9
Kid

I suggest you get a factory assembly manual, and try to find good (repairable) sheet metal if possible. The after market stuff, such as fenders, doors don't seem to fit as well as factory original. Bamm 24's idea of baggies is also a very good idea. If I do another one, I will use aftermarket (Vintage Air) instead of messing with factory air.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:32 PM   #10
Harold Shepard

I am working on the second and planning for the third. Remember even if you set a time limit, that you an walk away. One problem that I am experiencing this time round is the change in direction. I initially had said that this truck wold be a driver, but then started getting all original parts for the stock look, but this was/ is not the intended direction, so now I have a stock pile of original parts and am not going to use them. Know your direction and stick with it. If you get mad lay it down and do something else. Most of all stick to your budget if you can, I tend to get carried away and if it is used or looks bad I replace (not always good thing $$$$)
Old 02-01-2005, 09:33 PM   #11
tmad

All good advice! My one year took me two,and I started with a truck in really good shape it more or less just needed freshened up. All I can really add is if you can get a dig. camera take alot of pics from alot of angles of anything you disassemble!!! Even the simple things seem to change shape and size after being in a box on a shelf for awhile!!! LOL. Plus you will enjoy looking back at what you had when you started. And so will we. Good Luck!!!
Old 02-01-2005, 09:56 PM   #12
TRUCKGUY

i am in the middle of mine and not geting along to well but. like was said you need the bags. and masking tape tools and such my air compressior just massed up and i have to get another one from some where. i am planing on having mine done in about 5 years and still dont know how i want it.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:06 PM   #13
jamesi20

Frame off

if you are doing it yourself as I am trying to do,probably the best thing I did was get myself a 2 stage air compressor and the 970 bead blast cabinet from T.I.P products in canfield ohio Good Luck and as others have said at least twice the time you plan and if you are lucky only twice the money you were planning on spending
Old 02-01-2005, 10:32 PM   #14
zooza

if there are two items such as inner fenders , door handles etc. if you buy one new you might as well buy The other cause the "good " ONE WILL LOOK LIKE CRAP. i RAN into this with inner fenders . Just my simple advice.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:54 PM   #15
rustyold72

A camera is also invaluable for showing what piece went where, after 2 years you tend to forget what went where and how.
Ziplock bags for the bolts
Boxes to divide the project into smaller projects ie right front control arms (clean, paint, install shafts)
93 Nissan Pathfinder "Emily" Totaled RIP girl
05 Jeep Grand Cherokee-HEMI powered
87 Iroc Z28 305 TPI auto (crying out for an LS1 swap)
Old 02-01-2005, 11:12 PM   #16
greasemonkey

I restored just the chassis/suspension, and underside of the cab and bed, I did no bodywork except weld up some mirror holes in the door and it took me about 3-4 months of hard work by myself after work/school to completely disassemble, strip, paint, and put everything back together. If I was doing bodywork, I would probably still have it in the garage, lol.
Definitely label all bolts, I did this with mine. When I took them down to the hardware store to replace them all, and I knew what size and how many to get.
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
Old 02-01-2005, 11:22 PM   #17
krue
Designated A-hole!

Somebody needs to put this thread on the FAQ page!

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
Old 02-02-2005, 12:26 AM   #18
incoma

Again - Krue with a FAQ!! (How many times have I said that!!)

I agree with the ziplock bags and sharpie. I went that route one mine and it helped tremendously. I also took lots of pictures and it helped a bunch too. One thing that I haven't read yet (but kinda implied in a few replies) take the truck apart in sections. I removed bed, cab (with all guts) and front clip. Then I restored the entire chassis/suspension. Then when that was finished, I started the bed, cab and front clip. After 4 months at the body shop, I was amazed at how much I forgot where stuff went. The pictures and bags were invaluable.

Also, with this method, you have "stages" like some of the guys referred to. I was making awesome progress until the body went back on the chassis, then I got overwhelmed. I've finally got the dash and interior back in (well 80% of it) and now I'm focusing on the engine and engine compartment. If I don't focus on one section, I wind up spending 8 hours out in the garage just piddling from one thing to another and come back inside without anything accomplished.

Now, I have been keeping a log of the time spent on the project, and total cost. I plan on posting all of the info when I get a bit closer. I thought it would be cool to see how long this one took, and do another and how long that one takes... enough rambling for now..thanks for reading.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:33 AM   #19
'70_402

well, great info guys... that's why i love this board...but i guess i am going to be one of the lucky ones and not do this all by myself..i got some friends that work/run a bodyshop now and in a couple of months are going to start up thier own business with all areas of custom parts covered..body,paint,accessories,stereo..so i offered up my truck for a first project/advertisement vehicle..and they said yes...so, when the building gets finished and the tools get put in place, my truck will be the main focus of 4 guys 8-10 hours each day...(my truck will be thier job for a while) so i don't see this one even taking a year.. (but as everyone has said double the time) so we will see how this all pans out..i will take tons of pics and document as much as i can. I will let you guys know when tear down starts...

Thanks

Rick
Old 02-02-2005, 01:57 PM   #20
BigSky71
LAIDOUT

Good advice all around. I am at the beginning of my project, the new frame is stripped clean sitting in the garage, got lots of parts on the way, but the main donor truck is still completely assembled.

Incoma makes a good point, one that has actually concerned me since starting my project, that is the upcoming cab stage. Moving it around will be tricky [intend to build a dolly], plus the large amount of work required with the wiring, replacing some floor etc. I expect the chassis assembly will be like the first month or so with a new girlfriend, you know, can't wait to get there and get busy. But then after a few months, it will be a little tougher to get out in the garage to sand another fender or grind out the box floor. Course if it was easy...
Old 02-02-2005, 02:34 PM   #21
bigblock73
yeller

I am in the middle of mine as well! Rather than give a big long speech, I will just tell you the most important thing I have learned.

1. Zip Lock bags and Sharpies.
2. LOTS of storage space will be needed.
3. "Before" pictures ALWAYS help, especially during reassembly.
4. Don't throw anything away, you will more than likely need a piece off of it or need it for reference.
5. Have a plan of attack.
6. Don't skimp, always buy the best there is...even if it means it is more expensive. Buying cheaper parts or less-than-perfect parts will only come back to bite you.

Hope this helps a little, and I am sure you will learn your own secrets as you go.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:50 PM   #22
HeavyD

With that many guys working on it as their actualy job, it will go pretty quickly, unless there are some real bad hidden problems that show up. Most people have to balance truck work with their main jobs, family, etc... A shop dedicated to a sole vehicle should have it looking great in no time. Care to post some pics as the work progresses? I would like to see it in different stages.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:50 PM   #23
Vince M

Man..I've got to tell you that all the advice above is right on. I'm in the middle of mine and it has been more than I originally thought. The first thing I can say is make sure your frame is good. After putting a lot of work into my original I finally tossed it and found another one. Mine was too far bent. I could see it was put in a frame straightener but with all the undercoating and grime I didn't know it at the time I bought it.
Second thing I've done is paid to have some work done that I did not want to do myself. Most of it was sandblasting and powdercoating. It's nice to take a dirty grimy piece and have it come back all clean and coated.
You are going to need space and lot's of it. I've just about got my chassis rolling and I'm now thinking about putting the chassis outside. Something I do not want to do but the cab is my next "project" and it's going to need some room.
Last item I can say is fit everything before paint. I can't tell you how much stuff you take for granted and then go to assemble and find a fit problem. I'm putting a diffenent motor and tranny in mine and have run into a few problems. None that couldn't have been fixed but you don't want to be drilling/cutting etc on a painted frame.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:44 PM   #24
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

Okay here is my .02 cents. Speaking from a bodyman's perspective and currently being a bodyshop manager and all kinds of access to tools equipment and knowledge and the like. I would first make a game plan on what direction you want to go and stick with it as close as possible. WHILE YOU DRIVE THE TRUCK!!!!! Set up the engine you want, tranny, rear end, and suspension. Do not worry about painting or detailing anything yet. Do all of your gauges, wiring and such. Then get started on all of your bodywork. Align all of the panels first that you are going to use. Do any bodywork a panel at a time. Meanwhile you are driving this thing to shows, cruising it on the weekend because you do not care what it looks like because you are driving one cool 67-72 truck. Okay, bodywork is done, mechanicals are lined out. Blow this thing apart baby!!! Paint it all up and put it back together and then do your interior. Much easier, won't lose as much interest, won't lose as many parts and have fun while you are doing it. I have had my 72 2wd CST Blazer apart for 10 years and have about 18,000.00 dollars in it and NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING FINISHED. You get the point here. Trust me on this one.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:42 PM   #25
krue
Designated A-hole!

Good point on driving while you restore it. Of course my truck is my daily driver so I don't really have a choice.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"