The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2017, 09:34 PM   #1
bolivier

Scenario: Which frame to use?

If you were to build '67 swb and had 2 frames to chose from, 1 with rear coils and the other with leafs, which would you use and why?
bolivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:47 PM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: Scenario: Which frame to use?

Coil ,Easier to fine tune a drop and if trailing arms are still good enough for Nascar at 200 mph ...Well , Their still good enough for me at 70 mph.

. “Our rear suspension has two trailing arm. We call them truck arms because it’s much like out of a mid-60s Chevrolet truck"

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cu...ension-902294/

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 11-09-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:51 PM   #3
paul blair

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolivier View Post
If you were to build '67 swb and had 2 frames to chose from, 1 with rear coils and the other with leafs, which would you use and why?
I guess it all depends on what You will use the truck for and type of build! For Me I would go with coil springs and trailing arm for 2 wheel drive and leaf springs For 4x4. You going for a work truck or Hot Rod type?
paul blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:54 PM   #4
bolivier

Hot rod. Low 2wd.
bolivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:10 PM   #5
paul blair

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolivier View Post
Hot rod. Low 2wd.
I am no expert but I think trailing arms and coils or bags! You will find some extreme Low Hot Rod ride builds here. Some one in the know will probable chime in soon with directions for You to go. Have Fun---PB
paul blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:41 PM   #6
Coley

If you are going to haul anything that is payload related...then springs are by far a better choice...much more stable and capable.
However if it a simply a light duty run around truck....then the coils.

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:57 PM   #7
chewychevy67

I got leafs simply cause it was different
chewychevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:01 AM   #8
In The Ten Ring

My truck has springs.....I rather wish it had leafs (leaves? ) so I could carry more of a load.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:55 PM   #9
Doug's68SS

a couple of you made comment about leaf spring hauling more of a load then coil, I would rather have coils for a load. back in the mid 80's my brother-in-law ask me to get him a yard of sand and gravel to pour some concrete with. he had a small import truck, I was young and dumb at the time and jumped in my 68 LWB C10 and ran to town to get it. the fellow dumper a bucket of sand in my truck and it set it down good bit. he took off and returned with a scoop of gravel and dumped it in my truck. I almost $#!+ he jumped off the tractor and I ask what does that weigh and he said about 3000 lbs. I wish he would have told me first but I looked under the truck to see what it looked like and my bump stops still had about a 1/4" of clearance. drove it home at about 50MPH 7 miles and unloaded it as I was afraid it would damage something. all I am saying is I wouldn't try it with leaf springs. and I wouldn't do it again with coils.
Doug's68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:18 PM   #10
garyd1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug's68SS View Post
a couple of you made comment about leaf spring hauling more of a load then coil, I would rather have coils for a load. back in the mid 80's my brother-in-law ask me to get him a yard of sand and gravel to pour some concrete with. he had a small import truck, I was young and dumb at the time and jumped in my 68 LWB C10 and ran to town to get it. the fellow dumper a bucket of sand in my truck and it set it down good bit. he took off and returned with a scoop of gravel and dumped it in my truck. I almost $#!+ he jumped off the tractor and I ask what does that weigh and he said about 3000 lbs. I wish he would have told me first but I looked under the truck to see what it looked like and my bump stops still had about a 1/4" of clearance. drove it home at about 50MPH 7 miles and unloaded it as I was afraid it would damage something. all I am saying is I wouldn't try it with leaf springs. and I wouldn't do it again with coils.
I did the same thing with an old 68 Chevy and coil springs. A local farmer and friend of mine sent to get a load on his truck and he like to freaked out when I got back.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote