The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2022, 12:01 PM   #1
Old Doug

1995 366 tbi to carburetor

I have a 95 GMC on propane i want to put a carb on it on its tbi intake.I realy dont want to try to get the tbi working its about half there and i wanted a older truck but i have this one so . Has any one done this will i have to swap out the distributor all so ? Will a HEI distributor work with out changing the oil pump drive if you didnt know 427/366 used different drives on points and HEI so it wasnt a direct swap. I want to get or build a carb to tbi adapter but i havent found anyone that has ever put a carb on a tbi intake. If i have to buy a carburetor i thought about a big 2 barrel instead of a 4 barrel because i dont think the 4 barrel gets opened up under normal use. I have alot going on so i want to make this as easy as i can. I have been using it on propane the last 2 years but they are raising the clean fuel permits this year and will be raising it 20% every year for the next 5 years . I havent used it this year because of the permit i can ether buy the permit or buy a carb.
Old Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 11:25 AM   #2
Pvmt-Pndr

Re: 1995 366 tbi to carburetor

A 95 should already be HEI. You can use a standard HEI distributor !BUT! if it's set up like my 427 is you'll have to take the drive gear off the new distributor and cut the shaft. Then reuse the original gear from your truck. I believe I have pictures if you need more details.

Going a 2 bbl is a bad idea, don't waste your time.

The 366/427 in medium dutys are tall decks so you have to have a tall deck specific manifold. I happen to have one sitting in my garage not being used. Shipping would be outrageous.

The simplest straightforward way would be swapping to a tall deck manifold. From there everything would be pretty easy. Also don't forget you'll need a low pressure fuel pump and new gas lines. TBI motors run a much higher fuel pressure in a smaller line.
Pvmt-Pndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 02:02 PM   #3
Old Doug

Re: 1995 366 tbi to carburetor

What year did the trucks go to TBI ? The pickups did i think in 87 my truck has the tbi distributor that runs the tbi it dosent have any kind of advance so i didnt know if it would work ok with out a throttle positioning sensor or othere stuff after the TBI was gone.I have a complete 427 minus the HEI and oil pump that i could take the intake off of but i am trying to do this as fast and simple as i can. My truck dosent have a tank,lines or pump.I could try and get the tbi going and that would be ok but if i have to spend money on that i hate to because its going in the wrong direction.
Old Doug is offline   Reply With Quote