The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2019, 12:38 PM   #1
atm70chevy

Brake line help

I have a 1970 shortbed stepside that someone converted to disc brakes before I bought it. It was a certified basket case when I got it and the brake lines that were on it were held together with zip ties and hose clamps... I took all of them off and chunked them a long time ago thinking it would be as easy as opening a catalog and ordering replacement lines and then just bolting them on. I'm pretty sure it has the stock cross member as the tabs for the brake lines on the back side of the cross member. I have searched the forum and have read so much that I have now confused myself even more. Can someone advise me as to what brake line kit I need to order. Do I order one for a 1970 and get the conversion rubber hose from ECE or do I need something different. I bought a complete brake kit a while back but after trying to install it and looking at photos on here, I'm pretty sure it is the wrong kit. If someone could shed some light on this I would greatly appreciate it. This is the last thing I need to tackle before I can finally get it on the road.

Thanks for any help y'all can offer.
Anthony
atm70chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:48 PM   #2
atm70chevy

Re: Brake line help

I found this at Performance Online. Will this be what I need?

https://www.performanceonline.com/19...-OEM-Material/
Old 08-18-2019, 11:52 PM   #3
Tommyups

Talk to Jeff at ECE, he will steer you in the right direction
Tommyups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:19 AM   #4
70c10resto

https://www.inlinetube.com/products/SCTB67D4

I used this kit when from inline tube. It worked fine for my truck with drum rear and disk conversion front. The only line not included is the rubber line that comes off the rear axle tee, but they sell it separately on their site. You can also get new factory style clips on their website if yours are missing.
70c10resto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:36 AM   #5
RichardJ

>> I'm pretty sure it has the stock cross member as the tabs for the brake lines on the back side of the cross member. I have searched the forum and have read so much that I have now confused myself even more.<<

There are thousands of posts on this forum about similar disc conversions and most end up with a similar miss-match of after market parts and less than satisfactory results.

Most conversions try to use the original lines on the suspension cross member, from the drum setup. When the drum spindle is turned left-right, the brake cylinder remains roughly the same distance from the inboard mount of the flex line on the cross member. The demands on the flex line are only that it has to flex a little as the cylinder rotates around the upper ball joint.
When the disc caliper spindle is turned left-right, the distance from the caliper to the cross member flex hose mount varies by a considerable amount. When the spindle is turned with the caliper away from the frame, the flex hose needs to be very long. When the spindle is turned with the caliper inboard, that extra long hose can drag on the tire or get pinched in the suspension.
The image below is typical and from this forum.

In '73 they mounted the combination valve out of sight, on the frame rail under the radiator. The brake line from the combination valve goes to the frame just ahead of the suspension, where there is a predrilled pilot hole. The flex line from this point crosses behind the disc spindle, through a centerline between the upper and lower ball joints. From this point the flex line simply needs to flex a little as the caliper moves in and out away from the frame.
There are no length variation demands for the flex hose.

On a thread from many years back, a guy reported that his '66 also had the pilot holes needed to mount the '73-up original brake lines.

The front brake lines couple to the rear brake lines on the frame rail under the passenger seat and is the same for all these years mentioned.
I bolted all the front brake lines, including flex lines from a '76 onto my '67.

I don't know anything about the '71-'72 2wd disc brakes, but I have seen several post here that they seem to have problems getting correct replacement flex lines. I don't know what that is all about.
Attached Images

Last edited by RichardJ; 08-19-2019 at 03:50 AM.
RichardJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:51 AM   #6
atm70chevy

Thanks for the help! I think I finally may have it figured out.... Looks like I will either be calling ECE or Inline Tube and get the right kit.