The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2020, 11:54 PM   #1
dz1087
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Navarre, Florida
Posts: 101
Epoxy primer and sealer questions

Iím going to use epoxy primer to cover the old paint on the cab and hood and cowl after sanding the old paint down thoroughly. My doors, fenders, and entire bed is repro EDC metal. After thoroughly scuffing up the EDC panels, should I spray epoxy on these panels?

Iím going to use 2k primer surfacer and block. Painting white top and a copper/orange metallic two stage. Do I need to use a sealer on top of the primer surfacer?
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:05 AM   #2
ApacheNick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Dawson Creek, B.C.
Posts: 101
Re: Epoxy primer and sealer questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1087 View Post
Iím going to use epoxy primer to cover the old paint on the cab and hood and cowl after sanding the old paint down thoroughly. My doors, fenders, and entire bed is repro EDC metal. After thoroughly scuffing up the EDC panels, should I spray epoxy on these panels?

Iím going to use 2k primer surfacer and block. Painting white top and a copper/orange metallic two stage. Do I need to use a sealer on top of the primer surfacer?
I sprayed epoxy over all my replacement panels just because less masking. I really don't think it will hurt anything but I'm not a painter.
__________________
Nick

1961 Apache short stepside 4X4 SBW 348/4 speed
1960 Apache C-20 long fleet custom cab BBW 283/4 Speed
1967 rust bucket Olds Cutlass with a 455
1972 GMC K-15 350/4 speed long fleet
ApacheNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:45 PM   #3
MDPotter
Senior Member
 
MDPotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Western Colorado
Posts: 823
Re: Epoxy primer and sealer questions

If your original paint is lacquer or acrylic, the epoxy will melt it and wrinkle. So unless you know for sure that it's not, you should strip it to bare metal.

I sprayed my EDP panels with epoxy. A reduced coat of epoxy (sealer) prior to base/clear for better adhesion.

Check the data sheet for your 2K. Some are okay with painting over it, some aren't. But a coat of reduced epoxy as a sealer is cheap insurance and it helps with coverage.
__________________
1968 GMC C15 - Gen III 6.0 Restomod in progress http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=772047
1969 Chevy C10 - upcoming build
1964 Chevy C10 - Gen IV 5.3 Restomod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=768632
2016 Sierra 1500 All Terrain SLT - 33's, leveling kit, muffler delete
MDPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:50 PM   #4
projectking
Registered User
 
projectking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orland Park Il
Posts: 1,920
Re: Epoxy primer and sealer questions

Solvent wipe it with lacquer thinner on a rag and if it rubs off it has to go. I remove it because I don’t trust a Taiwan stamping plant to guarantee my work!
__________________
68 GMC C3500 Longhorn DRW
67 Chevy C10 LWB
90 Mustang Gt
90 Mustang Notchback
projectking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:12 AM   #5
dz1087
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Navarre, Florida
Posts: 101
Re: Epoxy primer and sealer questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectking View Post
Solvent wipe it with lacquer thinner on a rag and if it rubs off it has to go. I remove it because I donít trust a Taiwan stamping plant to guarantee my work!
I've wiped all the panels and they are pretty solid. Nothing coming off.
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:13 AM   #6
dz1087
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Navarre, Florida
Posts: 101
Re: Epoxy primer and sealer questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPotter View Post
If your original paint is lacquer or acrylic, the epoxy will melt it and wrinkle. So unless you know for sure that it's not, you should strip it to bare metal.

I sprayed my EDP panels with epoxy. A reduced coat of epoxy (sealer) prior to base/clear for better adhesion.

Check the data sheet for your 2K. Some are okay with painting over it, some aren't. But a coat of reduced epoxy as a sealer is cheap insurance and it helps with coverage.
Sounds smart on the 2K data sheet.
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:18 AM   #7
dz1087
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Navarre, Florida
Posts: 101
Re: Epoxy primer and sealer questions

So, here's another question:

Since I'm using new panels, should I scuff and epoxy, then seal?

Or just scuff and seal?

Seem a bit redundant to spray epoxy on the EDC panels just to allow them to dry and need to be re-scuffed prior to base coat. The difference here would be that I wait to spray any epoxy on the EDC panels until I get them back on the truck and fitted prior to base coat, or I go ahead and spray them now but have to scuff them up again in a few weeks when I shoot the base coat.

Thoughts?
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:43 AM   #8
mongocanfly
Post Whore
 
mongocanfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alabama
Posts: 11,256
Re: Epoxy primer and sealer questions

you can topcoat epoxy if you do it within the recoat window...no scuffing needed...main thing is you need all your panels the same product and color before you paint
__________________
Mongo...aka Greg

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2013 GMC Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:54 AM   #9
MDPotter
Senior Member
 
MDPotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Western Colorado
Posts: 823
Re: Epoxy primer and sealer questions

The beauty of epoxy is its recoat window. If your EDP is in good shape and you don't have any breakthroughs to bare steel, there is nothing wrong with scuffing and going straight to sealer. I did that on my front bed panel and tailgate.
__________________
1968 GMC C15 - Gen III 6.0 Restomod in progress http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=772047
1969 Chevy C10 - upcoming build
1964 Chevy C10 - Gen IV 5.3 Restomod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=768632
2016 Sierra 1500 All Terrain SLT - 33's, leveling kit, muffler delete
MDPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:44 PM   #10
projectking
Registered User
 
projectking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orland Park Il
Posts: 1,920
Re: Epoxy primer and sealer questions

I would scuff and a apply a wet coat of epoxy, if you’re ready to paint and outside the recoat, scuff, seal with reduced epoxy, and paint
__________________
68 GMC C3500 Longhorn DRW
67 Chevy C10 LWB
90 Mustang Gt
90 Mustang Notchback
projectking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:00 PM   #11
dz1087
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Navarre, Florida
Posts: 101
Re: Epoxy primer and sealer questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectking View Post
I would scuff and a apply a wet coat of epoxy, if youíre ready to paint and outside the recoat, scuff, seal with reduced epoxy, and paint
I think this is what I'm leaning toward. Going to wet-coat the hood, cab, and cowl, then 2k primer as those are the only old panels on the truck anymore. Then once I'm finished block sanding and such, use reduced epoxy over the 2k primer as a sealer, and a wet-coat of epoxy over the EDC panels as a sealer.

Anything terribly wrong with that approach?
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:25 PM   #12
projectking
Registered User
 
projectking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orland Park Il
Posts: 1,920
Re: Epoxy primer and sealer questions

Spot prime any bare metal and allow 45 mins between your full coat. I’ve never seen new bedsides that didn’t need minor repair and blocking to look perfect...
__________________
68 GMC C3500 Longhorn DRW
67 Chevy C10 LWB
90 Mustang Gt
90 Mustang Notchback
projectking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:50 PM   #13
Foot Stomper
Registered User
 
Foot Stomper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,228
Re: Epoxy primer and sealer questions

Unless you put epoxy primer on bare metal, you are completely wasting your time and money.

Epoxy primer only works on bare steel because it's designed to stop rust creep. If you get a stone chip or scratch anything under the epoxy will not stop the creep... even if epoxy is on top... it needs to be directly applied to the bare steel to do it's sole purpose.

Best process is strip the EDP, epoxy prime and carry on. It's not a big deal to red scotch brite the panel when you want to apply high build urethane primer or paint.
__________________
So when is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:03 PM   #14
projectking
Registered User
 
projectking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orland Park Il
Posts: 1,920
Re: Epoxy primer and sealer questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post
Unless you put epoxy primer on bare metal, you are completely wasting your time and money.

Epoxy primer only works on bare steel because it's designed to stop rust creep. If you get a stone chip or scratch anything under the epoxy will not stop the creep... even if epoxy is on top... it needs to be directly applied to the bare steel to do it's sole purpose.

Best process is strip the EDP, epoxy prime and carry on. It's not a big deal to red scotch brite the panel when you want to apply high build urethane primer or paint.
I agree 100%, I put no stock in Taiwan applied coatings. However epoxy over the EDP is a better choice than a 2k
__________________
68 GMC C3500 Longhorn DRW
67 Chevy C10 LWB
90 Mustang Gt
90 Mustang Notchback
projectking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com