The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2017, 01:47 AM   #1
Mikado

Hello from Oz. Looking for a 3100

Hello guys & girls

Im from the Gold Coast of Australia. Retired police officer, married with two daughters. Really happy to find this site.

Firstly, Im a happy man because I have the wifes approval to restore an old Chevy pickup. Something I want to involve my kids in. I'm a big fan of the 3100 sidestep between 1947 & 1954. I've been looking around Australia for a project vehicle but all I've been able to find are Custom 3100's. They have already been done. I suppose I might get lucky if I can find someone who has one with the intention of restoring but have changed their minds,

So Ive been looking in the U.S. and have found 2 companies that look after the locating and buying process for you but if possible Id rather save $2000 and find it myself.

I would like to find a running, stock standard pickup with a healthy chassis and most chrome intact. Just a good base to start with. Reasonable Body rust in normal places doesnt matter. Just an old trundler.

I noticed the For Sale section is empty. Are there any good web sites where I might start looking for an old pickup? A barn find. My wife is a freight forwarder and is up to date with import/export laws so we have that covered.

Cheers
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:10 PM   #2
AussieinNC

Re: Hello from Oz. Looking for a 3100

Gooday mate....

Expat Aussie here now living in Charlotte NC...

Retired GM (Holden)and Chevrolet Master tech...am currently restoring a 67 Long Wood bed Chevy.

The For Sale page doesnt see much traffic as those 3100's are really hard to find, at a reasonable price...

If you might like say a 68 or 69 longbed you may have a better chance of finding a candidate...now...

These "finder" companies may actually save you dollars but it all depends on what the truck is that you find, condition, title ( you dont want a stolen truck !)

Over here there is a website www.craigslist.com that has a Cars and Trucks listing...suggest you stick to southern states like Nevada, New Mexico, Texas etc...anything from up north will be a rust bucket...and these all rust, its in their DNA.

On the Cars and Trucks for Sale, choose a price range, a year range, say 1947 to 1972. the choose Type like Pickup and Truck...

If you want, you can send me an internal IM on this site...for more details...

I dont mind helping another aussie out....
AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:13 AM   #3
Mikado

Cheers mate. I just had a look at Craiglist in the Dallas Fort worth area and quite a few came up. Some with beautiful patina. I have to find one with the original title though as the Aussie customs wont accept it without. But like you say, I dont wanna get a smv so thats a good thing anyway. . Craiglist is definitely the best site I have found so far. I checked out a few online auctions today but Craiglist definitely has the greatest range. Im a big fan of the 47-54 look with the chrome front end. Would love to be driving one around the gold coast. I intend on putting an entirely new drive train in but keep the exterior nice and original. Find one with a beautiful patina and just clear coat it.
Cheers
Shane
Old 07-19-2017, 07:57 AM   #4
AussieinNC

There is also a thread on our board about "Post your Craigslist finds..."

And

There is another board especially for 49 - 58 trucks...

Let me know if you find anything...

You might be better looking for a "roller"...no engine and trans...with title....might be more economic for you...

What running gear are you planning...?
Old 07-20-2017, 04:48 AM   #5
Mikado

My wife suggested the same about the roller. She said its easier to freight without the motor.
Im not 100% on the drive train yet. I know there is an LS3 you can get which is eco friendly, I think its LS3e or similar. Im hapy with a manual and Im not sure on diff yet. Definately have power steering installed and change to 12v.
I want to keep the outside as stock as possible. Be great if I can find one with nice patina and just clear coat it
Old 07-31-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
cooperhw

Hello right back at you from Phoenix Arizona area. I will keep my eye out for you. Always something coming up here. will send a friend request so I can send it to you directly if I come across something I think is a good deal.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:23 PM   #7
cooperhw

Check this one out. On the first page, took about 1 minute to find. I have no interest in the sale of this vehicle nor do I own it or know who does.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/c...215420750.html
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:43 PM   #8
AussieinNC

https://hickory.craigslist.org/cto/d...227142853.html

There are 3 trucks within this listing...

Spruce Pine is about an hour from my place, so I could check them out if you need me to...

Bill
Old 09-23-2017, 05:12 PM   #9
AussieinNC

So what happened to you old mate?

I know its Winter down under but didnt think you would be hibernating?

havagoodweegend...

Bill