The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2017, 09:35 PM   #1
allytle

Shop/Rat/Art/Truck

I've had this 63 C20 for two years. This is what she looked like when I brought her home. Needless to say the wife was not impressed. hahaha!

She came with bed full of spare wheels and parts. Like, packed full. The 350 was just rebuilt and not even broke in plus there's a tranny in it. This is how she sits now. Needs wiring, hoses, lines, brakes and stuff but most everything is there.
I had ideas of putting it on bags and laying frame. That's why it sat for two years. I was never ready to do it. Well, I came to my senses and realized I just need to get the damn running and change things as so go. That made me change my concept from a low rider to a stink bug.

I own a tattoo shop in a small Arizona town. Because of the weather the car scene is huge here. Hot rods and rat rods galore. I'm an artist as well as an enthusiast so I want a truck to represent me and my shop. I have a rustic style of art I'm known for. The bed of nails below was a piece I made for a local charity auction. I've had thoughts of building another one on a trailer that I could haul around to events. But now I'm going to install it right on the truck. The painted door with my logo hangs outside my shop and the other pictures are interiors of the shop and a cabinet I made.

So I want to build a thin long flatbed, four by eight feet, that will ride between the tires and turning it into a bed of nails. I'll build a steel headboard to mount the cow skull and weld some big steel horns on it. I'm thinking of putting dually's with tall tires and painting my logo on the doors. This is the closest thing I've found to my idea. Longer bed of nails. Similar to the sculpture I made. I like the stink bug stance. Tall in the back in the weeds in front.

Of course I've got plenty of work to do to get her together and running first. She's in the garage now. First thing is sheet metal and wheels off. Then brakes and bearings. I'll go from there. I hope to keep some good momentum. There's a local show in February I hope to bring her to. Thanks for looking.
allytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:34 PM   #2
allytle

Re: Shop/Rat/Art/Truck

We got the bed off today. It's going to my buddy that I got this truck from. He's got a 65 C30 dually flatbed he wants to make a fleetside, with step side fenders, and I have a fleetside I want to make a flatbed. So it's a win win for us both. He gave me a hand and got the bed. The front clip was only attached with four of the bolts anyway so we took it off. It will easier for to work on and gives me more room in my garage.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:08 PM   #3
61K10

Nice build, a little different--cool.

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:16 PM   #4
allytle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61K10 View Post
Nice build, a little different--cool.
Thank you! I'm trying to have fun and loosely stick to the plan. Haha!
Old 07-20-2017, 05:21 PM   #5
allytle

Got the nasty seat out and she looks pretty clean inside. I even found the radio and ashtray behind it. I'm glad she's in good shape because I'm keeping it like it is. Just clean it and upholster the seat and maybe change out that steering wheel.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:37 AM   #6
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Wow that is clean.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:35 PM   #7
allytle

Got her up on stands and took off the old splits. Getting prepped for brakes this weekend.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:20 AM   #8
63inoz

Duallies, flatbed, serious rake especially with a wrap around screen and lean forward pillars.
Love the concept, yeah wives just dont get it, mostly.
Cant wait to see it come together.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:48 PM   #9
allytle

This is the plate that came off my truck. I have the front also. It's fused to the bumper. Haha! So, this has 63 stamped into it on the right and what looks like the last sticker on the left dated 1973. So this truck was only registered for 10 years? It's got me curious.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:46 AM   #10
allytle

I've got the drum off and the brakes apart. A lot of cobwebs haha but in decent shape.
Now I have to make decisions on what to use. I thought I was just going to run the drum brakes but I want to drop the front a good amount. I'm being cheap though. Any tips on how to do it without drop Spindles?