The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2017, 11:05 AM   #1
rockyrivermark

Vintage air questio.

1970 c10
350cu th350 trans
Looking to install a vintage air unit in this truck soon
For those that have done this did you need to get a bigger radiator or add an electric fan. Any concerns for engine starting to get too hot
I assume it utilizes the original heater core for heat?
Any tips or info apreciated.
Thanks. Mark
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:18 AM   #2
harpo231

Re: Vintage air questio.

My gen iv has heater core in it
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:36 AM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Lightbulb Re: Vintage air questio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrivermark View Post
1970 c10
350cu th350 trans
For those that have done this did you need to get a bigger radiator or add an electric fan. Any concerns for engine starting to get too hot
Thanks. Mark
How does it do now? Does it run hot in traffic are stay cool? As far as I know they both have heater cores in the unit. Your factory core will go away.
Just some info from using the other AC system.
Classic air which I used in my truck and dad's 56 was cheaper and it didn't require a pry bar to install. I don't know about the truck unit cause I only used the motor side parts from them but on the 56 Bel Air Vintage air you have to pry the dash out to get the under dash unit in. Plus the Vintage air you had to cut the defrost stuff out of the car and use their's. I didn't want to do that.
Classic air didn't require a pry bar and it had the defrost extension to hook right up to the 56 vents.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:48 PM   #4
flashed

Like said above your complete old heat system goes away and is replaced with V/A .My truck kept running hot after the V/A install so we added a bigger aluminum radiator which helped but still ran pretty hot in traffic so we added an electric fan too.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:07 PM   #5
rockyrivermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
How does it do now? Does it run hot in traffic are stay cool? As far as I know they both have heater cores in the unit. Your factory core will go away.
Just some info from using the other AC system.
Classic air which I used in my truck and dad's 56 was cheaper and it didn't require a pry bar to install. I don't know about the truck unit cause I only used the motor side parts from them but on the 56 Bel Air Vintage air you have to pry the dash out to get the under dash unit in. Plus the Vintage air you had to cut the defrost stuff out of the car and use their's. I didn't want to do that.
Classic air didn't require a pry bar and it had the defrost extension to hook right up to the 56 vents.
Like I said. I'm looking to install.
Haven't done it yet. Just gathering info before hand from those who have installed them.
Thanks for the info. I'll check out that unit.
Mark
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-25-2017, 01:36 PM   #6
darrellyates

Quote:
1970 c10
350cu th350 trans
Thanks. Mark
Mark; The NEW Vintage Air is a one piece unit that has both heat and A/C as one unit. It replaces the heater box and inside pieces with a one-piece with everything in the air handler. You'll have to add a center a/c outlet in the dash (only if you want one) and a couple of outlets in the dash on the outside of both the gauge display, and the glovebox door. With regard to radiator, if you have more than a 2 row core, you will likely be OK. I would add an electric fan, and make sure you're running a fan shroud. It might run warm sitting, but even moving at low speeds you'll be fine. You will also have to either convert or change out the heater control unit in the dash, and modify your heater hoses by adding the water mixing valve under hood.
You might look at just adding an under-dash a/c unit if the heater is working right. It will likely cost less, and I for one kind of like the retro look. However, I did add the V/A to my truck because my stock heater and motor were both shot. Good Luck!!
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:07 PM   #7
RMBLFSH

I made no changes to my cooling system when I added the VA system. No cooling problems before or after. Love the VA system. Installation was straight forward, the system works well, even in Arizona heat.
RMBLFSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:24 PM   #8
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

My truck overheated when I went from nothing to VA. 350/700R4 truck.

I had the stock 3 row.

I swapped to a factory brass 4 row with a HD 6 or 7 blade (forgotten its been so long) clutch fan and it's been fine since.

On days where it's hot as crap, like 95-100* she'll run between 200-205 with short spikes to 210, but never overheats. Anything below 90* and she stays around 195-200.

Those are all with A/C running. I've been running my Vintage Air in my truck since 2006 and it's hot and humid as crap here in SC.

The sure fit series is the one made to mimic the factor air vent locations. Absolutely no crow bar necessary, although you will have to cut out the vent holes if you truck isn't a factory A/C truck and you will have to cut the firewall a bit. They provide a cover plate for the old factory heater/A/C firewall holes. Some guys weld in patches to have a smooth firewall in that area.

I also run Vintage Air in my 65 Mustang.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 07-25-2017 at 02:52 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:43 PM   #9
cleszkie

I went with a two row BeCool Aluminum radiator and dual electric puller fan/shroud unit. No mechanical fan. I also added an auxiliary electric pusher fan on the front of the condenser that I kick in when I'm towing up a grade with A/C on. My VA A/C works great at any speed with this set-up. The more airflow through the condenser the better. I also run a manual tranny, which eliminates any tranny cooler lines and tranny cooler in the radiator. Auto trannies will add heat to the radiator, which will in turn will reduce the cooling efficiency of the condenser. An auto tranny that is slipping will create even more heat. Just something to consider.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:52 PM   #10
Big Block
Big Block

Not trying to jack your thread. Has anyone use Old Air, Hurricane system on their truck? They supposedly have one that hooks up to original ac controls and has a adaptor to use existed duct work. They use Sanders compressors and use a condenser and sight glass receiver and dryer similar to the original unit.
Big Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:54 PM   #11
67ChevyRedneck

I'd just start a new thread. Most people reading this have either likely installed a VA kit or are also interested in doing so.
Project "On a Dime"
Old 07-25-2017, 03:22 PM   #12
rockyrivermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
My truck overheated when I went from nothing to VA. 350/700R4 truck.

I had the stock 3 row.

I swapped to a factory brass 4 row with a HD 6 or 7 blade (forgotten its been so long) clutch fan and it's been fine since.

On days where it's hot as crap, like 95-100* she'll run between 200-205 with short spikes to 210, but never overheats. Anything below 90* and she stays around 195-200.

Those are all with A/C running. I've been running my Vintage Air in my truck since 2006 and it's hot and humid as crap here in SC.

The sure fit series is the one made to mimic the factor air vent locations. Absolutely no crow bar necessary, although you will have to cut out the vent holes if you truck isn't a factory A/C truck and you will have to cut the firewall a bit. They provide a cover plate for the old factory heater/A/C firewall holes. Some guys weld in patches to have a smooth firewall in that area.

I also run Vintage Air in my 65 Mustang.
All great info and what I was looking for. I'm probably going to install it next summer but was curious what members here had to say about it.
Thanks!!!
Mark
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-25-2017, 11:19 PM   #13
Kw69

[QUOTE=Big Block;7999527]Not trying to jack your thread. Has anyone use Old Air, Hurricane system on their truck? They supposedly have one that hooks up to original ac controls and has a adaptor to use existed duct work. They use Sanders compressors and use a condenser and sight glass receiver and dryer similar to the original unit.[/QUOTE

Hi

I just installed the old air ac product in my truck and like it a lot. The control that I have is electronic but they also have one that is cable operated. The unit works very well. U will need to add 32-36 ounces of freon instead of 24. I had to call them when it was not cooling that good. The rep said add the 3 cans total for the Chevy trucks. So I did and it cools very well. I only have a 5 blade fan and really needs a 6 blade according to them. It's hot here in Florida and I can get 45 out of the vents when driving. I will say I need to tint the windows for better cooling. Also it uses all stock locations of vents.very easy install. Yes Sanders compressor with condenser and sight glass. Sorry if to hijack the thread, don't mean to just answering a question. Thanks guys have a great evening.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:06 AM   #14
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Vintage air questio.

Quote:
Like I said. I'm looking to install.
Haven't done it yet. Just gathering info before hand from those who have installed them.
Thanks for the info. I'll check out that unit.
Mark
Posted via Mobile Device
This is why I asked how the truck runs now? If it runs ok now then it should be OK but if it's border line running hot then you may need a new radiator before you go with the AC system are at least flush yours and make sure it's doing all it can before adding the extra heat to the system. Adding a electric fan to the truck would be my suggestion along with a good motor clutch fan.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:40 AM   #15
Big Block
Big Block

Thanks Kw69. Looking at different options. Have factory AC that hasn't worked for over 20 years. The system is intact. I'm not sure if it's worth the time and money to try to get the old system up and running. We're having one of those summers. Super high humility and temps in the high 90's every day. Don't want to drive anything that doesn't have AC. Sorry, like I said I wasn't trying to jack your thread. I was talking to a co-worker who said beware of the gen 4 Vintage Air unit. He said they're having trouble with electronic solenoid. Has anyone experienced that with a gen 4 Vintage Air unit? That's why I have been looking at other options. The stock cables and factory style site glass would seem more reliable than electronics. But like I said this is all new to me. I will start my own thread so this one won't get junked up.

Last edited by Big Block; 07-26-2017 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:48 AM   #16
rockyrivermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
This is why I asked how the truck runs now? If it runs ok now then it should be OK but if it's border line running hot then you may need a new radiator before you go with the AC system are at least flush yours and make sure it's doing all it can before adding the extra heat to the system. Adding a electric fan to the truck would be my suggestion along with a good motor clutch fan.
Ok. Gotcha now. Sorry.
The truck runs great. On hot humid days the temp does climb up a bit sitting in traffic. Of course on our factory temp guage we done know what that exact reading is. I'll take the thermo gun with me next hot day and get a reading at the thermostat housing. That's probably the best spot for a temp reading right? I'll look into the classic air unit.
Thanks!
Mark
http://www.cbcabinets.com
Old 07-26-2017, 10:50 AM   #17
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Vintage air questio.

Quote:
Ok. Gotcha now. Sorry.
The truck runs great. On hot humid days the temp does climb up a bit sitting in traffic. Of course on our factory temp guage we done know what that exact reading is. I'll take the thermo gun with me next hot day and get a reading at the thermostat housing. That's probably the best spot for a temp reading right? I'll look into the classic air unit.
Thanks!
Mark
Check the thermostat and the water temp at the bottom radiator hose to see how much difference you have.
Hot water in top of radiator and cooler water in the bottom of radiator back to motor. You will need a shroud for it also if you don't have one.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 07-26-2017, 12:38 PM   #18
NoNeck

We just installed a Vintage Air Sure Fit system designed specifically for '67-72 Chevy trucks. You can order a kit for both factory A/C trucks or non A/C trucks.

The installation was pretty straight forward and the instructions were good. The Sanden compressor looks great too. The pressure hoses come terminated with a fitting on one end, but uncut on the other. You will have to measure for length and get a A/C repair shop to crimp the other fittings which are provided.

Overall, we are very pleased with the unit so far. Good luck.

POP
Attached Images

If it costs you a dollar to make a friend, KEEP THE DOLLAR.
If it costs you a friend to make a dollar, KEEP THE FRIEND.
NoNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:01 PM   #19
Big Block
Big Block

NoNeck, are you using the stock fan or are you running electric fan set up?
Old 07-26-2017, 01:37 PM   #20
67ChevyRedneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNeck View Post
We just installed a Vintage Air Sure Fit system designed specifically for '67-72 Chevy trucks. You can order a kit for both factory A/C trucks or non A/C trucks.

The installation was pretty straight forward and the instructions were good. The Sanden compressor looks great too. The pressure hoses come terminated with a fitting on one end, but uncut on the other. You will have to measure for length and get a A/C repair shop to crimp the other fittings which are provided.

Overall, we are very pleased with the unit so far. Good luck.

POP
They're changed things up then? The kit I bought for the C10 in 2006 had all hoses cut/fitted already and the one I bought for my 65 Mustang in 2014 was the same way. Might have been too many complaints with people running so many different compressor mounting options.
Project "On a Dime"
Old 07-26-2017, 02:42 PM   #21
cleszkie

VA should make the uncut hoses an option, not a standard feature of their Sure Fit kits. My Sure Fit kit came with completed hoses and they fit perfectly. I would have been a little pissed if I had to add the crimp fittings myself for a kit that I ordered for a specific compressor type and location.

Only suggestion I would make is to wrap the hot water valve in a heat shield. It is very close to the passenger exhaust manifold, and I cooked two of them before I wrapped the third one. VA did replace the valve for free both times though.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote