The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2018, 07:59 PM   #1
AZ59apacheguy

Power Steering issues

Hi all. I just got done installing a CPP Power Steering kit in my '59 and have some concerns. With the truck standing still, the power steering is real nice and easy at rpm's higher than 1K, but at idle ( 550 rpm ), it feels like my old stock steering needing me to be Popeye again. Is it a bad power steering pump?
AZ59apacheguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:44 PM   #2
G&R's57GMC

Re: Power Steering issues

Try 675 rpm in drive .

Or perhaps smaller diameter P/S pulley to increase the pump speed .

The other thing to look at is the P/S pressure at idle.

Did you install a flow restrictor in the GM pump ?
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275

Last edited by G&R's57GMC; 11-17-2018 at 09:54 PM.
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:01 PM   #3
AZ59apacheguy

Hi, thanks for the reply. Even at 675, it drags, I did not intentionally install a flow restrictor, I used whatever the kit came with. What does a flow restrictor look like?
Old 11-17-2018, 10:26 PM   #4
mikebte

Have you had the front tires off the ground and operated the power steering full left and right? Make sure the system if fully bleed? Mine works above 500 RPM. Also, have you checked pump pressure? Do you have a cooler inline?
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:50 PM   #5
AZ59apacheguy

Hi. Yes, I lifted the front tires off the ground ad primed the system as should. How do you bleed the system?
Old 11-18-2018, 12:29 AM   #6
dsraven

here is a quick video that explains a few things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uS9gvGHH6U

another which shows with engine running

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1GgQ-3asJQ

those vac pumps are actually pretty cheap and come in handy for bleeding brakes and all sorts of other things around the shop. try to get one with the little canister for collecting fluid before it gets to the pump.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:31 AM   #7
wphilli1

I had a similar issue with my steering after installation and it turns out the front suspension needed a good cleaning and greasing. The truck had been sitting for a few years and everything had stiffened up. I greased the kingpins and tie rods and boom, like a brand new truck. I actually had to reduce the pressure in the pump it was so easy. Worth a try.

'58 Apache 3100 4-Eyed Work Truck
wphilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:44 AM   #8
dsraven

flow restrictors look like this and screw into the pump where the pressure line attaches. mosty used for rack and pinion applications where a gm pump is used on a ford rack. not sure what the cpp box pressure is supposed to be.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/60791/10002/-1

what kit do you have, the box mounted on the outside of the frame in front of the tire or the box mounted inside the frame where the original box was mounted? also, what pump do you have and what is the pulley size? does the pump "buzz" or whine when it is running? that is an indicator of a pump that is starving for fluid or has air in the fluid. sometimes turning lock to lock and then shutting it off and walking away till morning will allow the bubbles to find their way out. that is the ling method because it may take several of those lock to lock turns to flush all the air out of the box.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:58 PM   #9
mr48chev

The CPP kit that uses the GM box shouldn't need a flow restriction.

You are using a good quality and preferably Genuine GM power steering fluid? From working on a lot of power steering boxes they don't do their best with ATF.

Just thinking what did the pump come off if you used a donor pump? Some GM pumps came with different pressure ratings depending on the vehicle they were originally assemble for. The old style from the 70's probably won't be an issue but if you have one of the newer type II with remote reservoir it could be a low pressure unit for a rack or a variable pressure unit for a performance car that reduces pressure at speed to control the twitchy steering thing.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:27 PM   #10
AZ59apacheguy

Thanks for all the replies. So here are some pics of my setup. I also measured the diameter of the power steering pulley and it is 5 3/4”. I’m begining to think my pump is not correct, it does not look like the pump that is provided from CPP. I got mine from Rock Auto, it was for an early Impala with 283. I also have a pick of the adapter for the high pressure off the back of the pump. I did not do the vacuum bleeding yet be ause I don’t have one yet. The fluid I am using is not ATF.

Last edited by AZ59apacheguy; 11-18-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:12 PM   #11
mr48chev

Well that isn't the setup I thought you had but that looks like the standard early GM pump that should put out plenty of pressure.

Unless one of your hose adapters has a restrictive orifice in it because it is the wrong fitting even though it has the correct threads I'm at a loss on this one.

Still I'd think that would work the opposite in that you would not have power assist at an idle or low speed and it would work better at higher speeds.

Have you got a part number on the pump or kit that one can research a bit?

Looking on the CPP site it looks like you have this steering box kit CPP5559PSK-OC Plus this pump. 19-6168SB-6P

This is off Ebay but if they included this flow control valve to compensate for a MII rack and pinion it might give the results that are causing the issues you are running into. https://www.ebay.com/itm/CPP-Power-S...4383.l4275.c10

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 11-19-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:18 PM   #12
dsraven

short of doing a pressure and flow test at the box inlet, I would be suspect of the fitting where the pressure hose goes to the pump. those types of fittings don't usually have a thin wall so the bore size inside the fitting can act like a flow restricter. maybe yank the fitting out and see what the bore is and compare to the inside diameter of the hose. sad to say but a new hose with the correct end for your pump may be the fix there should that be a problem.
one other thing I would add when you get it all figured out is a heat shield between the steering box and the exhaust manifiold. you don't wanna cook the box due to overheating.
I guess the easy way of testing without pressure guages and fittings etc would be to install a known good pump and see what happens. you could also check the pump relief/flow valve to see if it is damaged or whatever. if you happen to have another pump like that you could swap out that part and see if it makes a difference.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:53 PM   #13
dsraven

just looking at the hose connections, do you have the pressure line connected to the right port?
scroll down on this link and see possibly the same set up with the hoses reversed, pressure line is closest to the input shaft. do you have the instructions for the install, do they mark inlet and outlet?
saginaw boxes usually have the inlet port furthest away from the firewall but not sure about the 400 series boxes. there is usually a check valve in the outlet port so not sure if it would even work if the lines were wrong. anyway, just something I noticed on another site.

https://talk.classicparts.com/thread...00-truck.6832/
Old 11-20-2018, 10:11 AM   #14
mikebte

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
just looking at the hose connections, do you have the pressure line connected to the right port?
scroll down on this link and see possibly the same set up with the hoses reversed, pressure line is closest to the input shaft. do you have the instructions for the install, do they mark inlet and outlet?
saginaw boxes usually have the inlet port furthest away from the firewall but not sure about the 400 series boxes. there is usually a check valve in the outlet port so not sure if it would even work if the lines were wrong. anyway, just something I noticed on another site.

https://talk.classicparts.com/thread...00-truck.6832/
I was thinking the same, but I looked at mine and it is set up the same and works fine. I'll have to find my CPP instructions. I believe it was listed.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:23 PM   #15
AZ59apacheguy

I found this in the installation instructions.

“ Connect the power steering hoses. There are arrows cast into the steering box that indicate the direction the fluid flows. The pressure hose connects to the port that is farther from the rag joint. The return hose connects to the port that is closer to the rag joint. “

So mine looks like it is set up right. I am going to call CPP and see what they say. The instructions are a little vague when it comes to installing fittings and don’t say that certain fittings restrict flow. I have another new Saginaw pump I can install. So I will see what they say and go from there. I appreciate everythings input.

Last edited by AZ59apacheguy; 11-20-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:18 PM   #16
AZ59apacheguy

So I called CPP and deacribed my symptoms and they are pretty convinced it is a power steering pump failing. I also asked them if any of the fittings they provided with the kit are restricting and they said no. I have another Saginaw pump at home and will install it over the weekend. I’ll post my result afterwords, hopefully this fixes it.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:50 AM   #17
Azcarman1956

I have the same power steering on my 56 and it acted just like yours. The pump was a rebuilt unit from rockauto as well. I just figured the pump needed to be run in so I drove it and now it works fine. I'm very happy with the cpp kit. Chris
Azcarman1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:56 PM   #18
dew468

I have 59 with the CPP Toyota 400 box and early PS pump. with it in the air, of course no problems. on the ground, running or off it is harder to turn than stock was. done the lock to lock about 40 times, no difference. I can see a few small bubbles move thru but no real flow thru pump. pump is rebuilt. any one else have this problem?
dew468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:38 AM   #19
mr48chev

I rebuilt a lot of those pumps when I worked in a Pontiac dealership in the 70's and there really is't much to them or much to go wrong.

They have what is known as a ring, rotor and vanes and the vanes fit in slots in the rotor and act as wipers on the inside of the ring that is shaped so that the fluid is pushed from the inlet inside the reservoir to the hose . I had to borrow this off the net and creds to the folks who have the photo in their add.

You can see the vanes in the slots in the rotor and can visualize how they should slide out to the inner surface of the ring as the rotor turns When they get to the tight clearance spots the fluid is pushed though a port that leads to the pressure hose. What I am thinking is that those vanes may be sticking a bit due to the pump sitting on the shelf for an extended time or due to what ever they are coated with gumming up. They should free up when driving a bit.

I have to reiterate again that those pumps really want high quality power steering fluid and ATF while it functions doesn't work well for smooth operation or having a quiet pump.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2018, 10:37 AM   #20
dsraven

like mr48 says, good quality p/s fluid may help along with some rotational time to "wear in" those vanes. otherwise, you have nothing to lose by disassembling the pump and checking those vanes to ensure they move easily in the slots. you could check the pressure relief valve at the same time. since it works better when revved up I would assume the pump isn't working properly or the fluid lubricity hasn't allowed the vanes to slip in their slots like normal. run it at a higher rpm with the steering at full lock so the pump has to work hard, that may just "wear it in". just keep an eye on the p/s fluid temp. it would be cheap to take it apart since you would simply be topping up the fluid. I have seen rebuilt pumps do the exact same thing and get better with time. I have also pulled a few rebuilt ones apart and found a small burr in the vane slots or simply tight vanes that won't allow the vanes to slide out properly to displace the fluid correctly.
here is a link to show how to disassemble. haven't watched it, just seen it and copied/pasted for you. no big deal to tear apart, especially if you think it is the problem anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5JTghafe8s
Old 11-30-2018, 02:09 PM   #21
mr48chev

I'd have to agree that the slots in the ring may have some burrs that didn't get dressed up before assembly.
The trickiest part of disassembling and reassembling one of those pumps is getting the small O rings on the back of the pump to stay in place while you put the canister back on. Those little buggers love to jump out of place when you go to put the can back on.

I'd suggest taking a couple of longer bolts with the same thread and put them through the retainer bolt holes to keep it lined up and life will be a lot easier.

Old 11-30-2018, 02:13 PM   #22
dsraven

yep, the longer guide bolts or studs and possibly a little grease on the O rings to keep them where they should be. they are pretty simple units, really, so don't let a tear down scare you off.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:41 PM   #23
AZ59apacheguy

Update. Installed an A1 power steering pump off amazon and so far so good. The A1 pump looked to have a better quality rebuild than the Rock Auto, but it was more expensive. I’ll drive it a while and report back.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:37 PM   #24
mikebte

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ59apacheguy View Post
Update. Installed an A1 power steering pump off amazon and so far so good. The A1 pump looked to have a better quality rebuild than the Rock Auto, but it was more expensive. I’ll drive it a while and report back.
Good to hear, enjoy it.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:07 PM   #25
dew468

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ59apacheguy View Post
what was your new pump off of? mine looks like that.
dew468 is offline   Reply With Quote