The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2019, 09:10 AM   #1
IDGMC

VIN decode

Hey y'all, new guy here. I picked up a '72 GMC 5500 last year to rob the flatbed off of with plans to scrap the rest. I decided that I'd get it running and try to sell it instead. Now the wife thinks she'd like it to haul our RZR or, rock crawler on so I guess I better get more involved with it. I did not get a title with the truck and at the time didn't care cause it was headed to scrap. Now I'm in the process of chasing the title down and, Idaho DMV can find zero info on this rig. Same thing with Oregon. I can't seem to break down the VIN either. The VIN is: TCE53WV541728. Any help is greatly appreciated.
IDGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:46 AM   #2
Pvmt-Pndr

Re: VIN decode

Inside the glove box door should be a sticker with the break down if it's still there.
I had the same thing with the DMV here in Michigan with my truck too. They had no info on it. All I did was swap the title not register it though
Pvmt-Pndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:38 PM   #3
IDGMC

Thanks for the response. What do you mean by swap the title? I don't have one and as far as dmv seems to be concerned, there never was one......
Old 08-17-2019, 05:45 PM   #4
Pvmt-Pndr

I transferred the title to my name. I had a title unlike you do. They had no idea what my truck is, there was no info in their system. They couldn't give me a price on what it would cost to plate it, I didn't want to plate it I was just curious so I know in the future. I did manage to find an old registration in the truck though so I'll take that with me when I do plate it. Your situation I don't know what to tell you aside from getting a bond on it may be your only option to get a title for it.

EDIT:
I take that back. I did NOT have a title! I had a bill of sale for one of my trucks and a copy of the title to the truck and the above process is what I had to do. Sorry I got my trucks mixed up

Last edited by Pvmt-Pndr; 08-17-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Pvmt-Pndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:28 AM   #5
IDGMC

Thanks for the info. I have applied for titles before on vehicles and did not have a real problem. The problem with this one is it’s not in the system at all. I’ll keep plugging away at it till I get it.