The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2019, 12:01 AM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

C10 extended cabs

Today I put bucket seats in for a kid I know on his C10 like I did on my K20 I sold. Afterward we were cruising to check if he wanted to make any quick changes before he left, and he was happy with his new seating position.

While it never bothered me before, and was nothing I ever cared about. Just now I would like a few more inches behind he front seats, and sliding the seat all the way forward is not in the cards. If you have seen the newer Ram regular cabs vs Chevy you have a few extra inches behind the seat.

So I know aftermarket companies built square body extended cabs, and used the rclb to build it. To my mind that seems like a harder way to go about it for the skills, and set up I have to work with.

So my though is to use a Suburban, and cut it down to the length I want. Then graft the back of the cab onto the back. This gives me a roof that I don't have to splice a piece into, and all the metal I need practically for the whole project except for the back wall. Then the lack of back wall maybe able to be worked around if I get the clam shell doors. Right now off internet pictures it looks possible, but the back of the cab will lean forward a bit.

How does one set up for this kind of project? Or for the crew cab builds I see online of earlier trucks. While not something I have to do on my next C20 project. It is something I am interested in trying.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:18 AM   #2
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Re: C10 extended cabs

Lots of extended cab builds on the board. Using a burb is popular. The crown of a burb is taller than the crown of a pick up.

I typed extended cabs in the boards google search bar.

https://www.google.com/search?domain...=1568891830578
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:19 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Just a few more inches? I'd use a donor junk cab rather than let another Suburban bite the dust for that.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 09-19-2019 at 09:29 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:24 AM   #4
72c20customcamper

I agree with tim plenty of donor cabs out there. Too many burbans got cut up to fix pickups over the years. But then I'm partial to burbans
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:45 AM   #5
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
Today I put bucket seats in for a kid I know on his C10 like I did on my K20 I sold. Afterward we were cruising to check if he wanted to make any quick changes before he left, and he was happy with his new seating position.

While it never bothered me before, and was nothing I ever cared about. Just now I would like a few more inches behind he front seats, and sliding the seat all the way forward is not in the cards. If you have seen the newer Ram regular cabs vs Chevy you have a few extra inches behind the seat.

So I know aftermarket companies built square body extended cabs, and used the rclb to build it. To my mind that seems like a harder way to go about it for the skills, and set up I have to work with.

So my though is to use a Suburban, and cut it down to the length I want. Then graft the back of the cab onto the back. This gives me a roof that I don't have to splice a piece into, and all the metal I need practically for the whole project except for the back wall. Then the lack of back wall maybe able to be worked around if I get the clam shell doors. Right now off internet pictures it looks possible, but the back of the cab will lean forward a bit.

How does one set up for this kind of project? Or for the crew cab builds I see online of earlier trucks. While not something I have to do on my next C20 project. It is something I am interested in trying.
Wouldn't cutting it down from a crew cab make more sense?

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:35 PM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Wouldn't cutting it down from a crew cab make more sense?

K
It comes down to basic economics. Square body crews are no longer that cheap where I am at least. Where as I can usually get a C20 Suburban for a song, and dance by comparison. I prefer the C20 for the factory big brakes, and with a 14 bolt sf. Which to me is a great combo for the bs I do.

So if I have the opportunity to do this idea when I get my next truck. I will try to get a Suburban to be the basis to build my muscle truck.

Honestly if I go for a crew cab. I may just do a Cummins swap, and look for a dually. As I always wanted a dually, but am scared of the width in real world driving. I also have no need of a dually, but I love them.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:44 PM   #7
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Lots of extended cab builds on the board. Using a burb is popular. The crown of a burb is taller than the crown of a pick up.

I typed extended cabs in the boards google search bar.

https://www.google.com/search?domain...=1568891830578
I have seen those before, and think they are quite cool. But everyone I have seen being built was a rebuild or project build. Not someone making one out if another truck.

Honestly the the amount of work I propose I could have one of those too. The only big issue would be making interior panels, but there are work arounds. Then adapting other extended cab seats, and windows.

One I did see a few picks of was someone took a crew cab, and make it a mega cab. I though that one was pretty neat, but a big girl for the areas I go. Like the dually I mentioned in my post above.

Or I could get lazy, and just build a crew cab with a short bed like my 2018 Silverado. The truck is only slightly to big for me, and the square body crew solves that issue. Plus it has 90% less plastic that I find terribly cheap looking with that classic look I really like.