The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2018, 10:22 PM   #1
jocko

2001-ish outside mirror interchange

Couple mirror questions for you all...
1) Are the camper mirrors (pic 1) power mirrors or manual only?
2) Asking because I DESPISE them.. and am wondering if they are a straightforward exchange with the standard or larger mirrors depicted in pic 2 and 3.

I have a 2001 with the pic 2 mirrors, but am looking at another 2001 as a new dd with the camper mirrors in pic 1, and did I mention I don't really like them? Ha.

I'm assuming they are completely interchangeable, having had the mirrors on and off my current 2001 many times to fix the crappy power wiring, but just wanted to check.

Lastly, any good sources to buy the mirrors in pic 3? Other than a junkyyard. Which is, of course, an option. LMC sells them, but I haven't been that impressed with their quality on other items, and OEM mirrors tend to be higher quality than repops, at least better than Autozone repops.

I guess my "real" question is, assuming the camper mirrors can be power mirrors, is it a simple plug & play electrical connection to substitute either of the other mirrors?

Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 09-15-2018 at 10:34 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:39 AM   #2
EVRLET

Re: 2001-ish outside mirror interchange

While I can’t answer any of your questions, I just want to say that when you put towing mirrors on and stand in front of the truck about 10 feet back, you’ll notice how the mirror isn’t parallel with the ground. It’s angled up. I think they look silly like that and there is a fix.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zab9LgpXw-Q

Good luck with your mirrors.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:01 PM   #3
jocko

Actually, the towing mirrors I'm talking about are the expandable type in pic#1 above in a 2001-2002. The vid is about the mirrors in pic 3. Good info, thanks for sharing. I'd be concerned that adding washers as depicted would expose the opening for the mirror pivot to rain - can kinda see that happening in the video. That may not be a problem, doesn't expose the door interior, but still could be an issue. I'm ok with the way the pic 3 mirrors are sitting from the factory (but I agree they look better leveled out), but I'm just not a fan of the expandable camper mirrors in pic 1. FWIW I've driven with the standard mirrors shown in pic 2 since my 2001 was new, they seemed more than sufficient. But would need another type for a wide load.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:24 AM   #4
AASmedic

I believe the mirrors in pic 1 were manual only. At least thats what I remember from when I was looking at mirrors to replaced my factory mirrors (pic2). I chose the ones in pic 3 and loved them. I didnt see a problem with them angled up slightly especially when I had the added feature of remote adjustment and the turn signal.

72 K20 Cheyenne Super
My "re-build" thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...?t=710221&goto

Thread for my Reproduction Jack Bags
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=715455
AASmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:28 AM   #5
95 S_Trucker

Pic #2 is the smallest mirror

All mirrors interchange(with the exception of the power extending mirrors, which you don't have pictured)

Just get a mirror with the same options you have(power/heated) and it will plug right in.

The mirrors in pic 3 are my favorite. I have aftermarket ones on my old style 99, and my 2011 has them from the factory. I like them a lot.

There are a lot of pet peeves I have with the 99-07 trucks that will prevent me from owning one, but the angle of the mirror isn't one of them. I do agree that they look better not angled, but I think GM was trying to mimic the angle of the 03+ headlights.

Edit: I have had great success from https://www.1aauto.com/. I buy a lot of lights and mirrors from them. I bought the mirrors for my 99 from them about 5 years ago. No issues with them at all.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:50 PM   #6
jocko

Great info, thank you.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:40 PM   #7
4Robinsons

I use LKQ- Keystone for alot of replacement parts on cars and trucks... their quality is usually 95% good or better for me and alot of the items are warrantied and sometimes a lifetime warranty too... check them out at Keystone.com
4Robinsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:19 PM   #8
jocko

thanks 4Robinsons!
Old 10-17-2018, 04:29 PM   #9
JJR

Not wanting to hi-jack this thread but I have a question also. A co-worker of mine needs to replace the mirror on his 2002 Silverado 1500. He wants to use GM parts. His is the stock power/non-heated style (pic #2 style). I am finding better deals on the power/heated mirror assembly. Is it safe to assume that the power/heated mirror will bolt in place of the power/non-heated mirror. I would assume the plug is the same just his body harness won't have the extra two wires run to it to operated the heated mirror.

Second Owner 70 C-10
Second Owner 93 GMC C1500
Third Owner 99 C2500 Crew Cab Short Bed
JJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:57 PM   #10
AASmedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR View Post
Not wanting to hi-jack this thread but I have a question also. A co-worker of mine needs to replace the mirror on his 2002 Silverado 1500. He wants to use GM parts. His is the stock power/non-heated style (pic #2 style). I am finding better deals on the power/heated mirror assembly. Is it safe to assume that the power/heated mirror will bolt in place of the power/non-heated mirror. I would assume the plug is the same just his body harness won't have the extra two wires run to it to operated the heated mirror.
The mirror should bolt in just the same as the original. The plug in the door and the one on the mirror is different though. Not a big deal if he can remove the original plug and wire it to the new mirror.

72 K20 Cheyenne Super
My "re-build" thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...?t=710221&goto

Thread for my Reproduction Jack Bags
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=715455
AASmedic is offline   Reply With Quote