The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #76
Bad70sbchevy

Re: 400-450hp 355 on a budget?

Someone with more expertise can chime in on this but whether you run a hydraulic roller or solid roller depends solely on the rpms you re running the motor at and not whether the motor is forced induction or naturally aspirated. Hydraulics are nice because they dont require periodic valve lash adjustments like a solid roller but for high rpms they will pump up causing a power loss or collapse from the higher spring pressures needed to prevent valve float at high rpm. Solid rollers dont have any issues as stated above at high rpms and tend to make more power at higher rpm, but like i said you have to lash them periodically.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bad70sbchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #77
mud.man.rj

There are some really nice anti pump up hydraulic lifters that are good to a lot higher Rpm now that I have used, solids are nice but if used regularily sure aren't when always wondering if... now I think I should set the valve lash again cause it's getting loud again just sucks, I have done it too many times, so roller or hydl now.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #78
GMR-PERFORMANCE

I see that many people post about the limit on hyd rollers. With correctly set valve springs you can sping them well above what the normal post rpm is. The LS engine runs these and I can tell you that I have spum my own well over the 7000 rpm mark for many hours of use in the sand dunes... Never an issue.

I went hyd roller as I got tired of running valve train. Its never fun. For a street strip deal the little gain for me is not worth the extra work for a soild roller.

I have seen many times where guys have the soild roller and the engine set up does not even come close to where the up side of that cam set up is going to offer any real usable gains. But hey it sure sounds cool to tell others about the high lift massive solid roller cam.. Then they pull out a copy of there dyno sheet Just messing around no one get up tight.. LOL

Each to there own. For me not having to wrench on it was the goal.. Will see how that works out.. Have a good easter everyone.
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote