The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2013, 02:21 AM   #1
69SCSS

69 LWB Power Tour Rig

Well I figure I've been on here like 6 months, might as well start a build thread. Don't have much to post yet as I've just been collecting parts. The pics are from when I first got it. since i got it, the fenders, hood, core support, and grille are all gone. The fenders were pretty holy, and hood was good, but the core support was rusted thru in the usual spots. The cab isn't much better, not sure what there is more of, bondo or steel! I'll probably wind up swapping out the cab eventually. For now it's going the beater rout on the outside and redone underneath.

For now the plan is 3/4 drop, 350 / 700R4 combo, 15x8 6 lug rallys and BFG's. probably going 255/70/15 all the way around. Not sure if I'm putting discs in the front or not yet... I wanna see how the budget goes. I also grabbed a '68 front clip along with a super straight '68 hood with all the letters in perfect condition! The hood is covered in moss right now from sitting upside down in a field (!!!) but it's pretty rust free despite that.

OK here's the pics... don't cringe too hard at all the rust and bondo!!! LOL!!
Attached Images

69SCSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:25 AM   #2
69SCSS

Re: 69 LWB Power Tour Rig

Since those pics I've basially tore the whole thing down and most of what you see besides the frame and cab are either gone or being cleaned up. I grabbed a bunch of the bushings I need, and got a whole bunch of the front end rebuild parts from the board members here (thanks guys!). Got a Blazer steering wheel (that 12" wheel was gone as soon as it got in the garage!), a '72 bench seat, new back window, side windows, markers, emblems, etc. I just need to start assembling the rear so i can have an excuse to go slap the tires on the Rally Wheels. more pics to come, I basically work on the truck after work (usually 1-2am) so I can't make too much noise and the lighting sucks in the garage. Gotta install some more drop down lights.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:14 AM   #3
Racer2172

Welcome to the board
Posted via Mobile Device
1968 C10 Project Quarantine http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=804800
1980 Buick Regal Dirt Stock car
Racer2172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
Bomp

Welcome to the forum.
Looks like a real good project in the making.
You probably know this full well that this is a great place for info.
You posted great pics and keep'em coming.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
69SCSS

Thanks guys.

This is going to be a slow build, I'm doubting I'll even have an engine by the time June 1st rolls around, but I'm gonna try!

so far all I've done this week is bolt on my grille, hood latch, and splash apron. I chased all the threads on the fenders and grille, and the bolt holes for the hood hinges and installed them. Before that, slapped the springs into the hood hinges.

My next step is to pull the letters off the hood, sand it and primer it. Once that's done I'll slap it on the hinges and the front clip will be done.

Hopefully I'll get some time to take pics this weekend. Truck looks nothing like it does in those pics anymore!

- Al
Old 02-07-2013, 11:51 PM   #6
69SCSS

OK... did some work today. My wife is sick so I stayed home to take care of her. While she was napping, I did as much as I could on the truck. First I dragged out the hood, stripped it, wiped it clean, and primered it. Once it dried I slapped it on the truck. It fits a little high, but the hinges are all the way down, so I'm not sure how to adjust them any more! Here's some pics.
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #7
69SCSS

When I was done with that, I decided I was tired of tripping over my axle. So I installed the bushings into the trailing arms, put them on the axle, and slid it under the frame. Put the panhard bar on the frame, and them swung the trailing arms up and into the frame brackets. Easier going back on that coming off, but not by much. jacked the axle up, slid the bar on the bolt, lifted it up some more and installed the springs. tightened the whole thing up and dropped the jack. All bolted together except missing shocks. Next stop is doing the rear drums.

Also while the hood was drying I got the broken back slider out. When you don't care about the gasket comes out really easy with a utility knife! Gasket was dried out and cracked anyway.

Done for today... more this weekend!
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #8
Bomp

Wow.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:58 AM   #9
69SCSS

Quick update... not much to say except getting rid of the cab. Found a good '68 cab that's in great condition, no repairs needed, with sound deadener already installed, new windshield and back window, even has carpet and bedliner underneath. New body mounts too. $400! Just gotta get my old crusty cab off first. Hopefully by this weekend.

In true ironic fashion, the last bolt I tried to remove, the passenger side front body mount bolt is rusted solid. Will be cutting it off very soon
Old 03-18-2013, 02:41 AM   #10
69SCSS

So the cab is gone! I pulled it today and a guy came by to grab it and all my scrap pieces. I had hoped to be able to use the heater box, but some water obviously got in at some point, because there was a nice larger than quarter sized hole rusted out in the bottom of it. Plus the heater box itself was rusted inside. not worth keeping. It went with the cab.

One of the cab bolts just plain didn't want to come off. I ground on it with my angle grinder for a good 30 minutes only to leave about 1/8" of the head of the bolt and no dice. I wound up using 2 cutoff wheels on the bottom and it finally snapped! Almost an hour for one bolt!

Found something crazy when I was under the cab on friday making sure everything was detached from the cab... for some reason the previous owner instead of running the usual rubber fuel hose from the line coming out of the cab to the hardline at frame, decided to use a nylon tube to attach them, which was 6 feet long! It was wrapped around the frame and zip-tied to keep it from moving. The 2 hard lines were about 6-8" apart, a single rubber hose would have covered it. I have NO idea WTF that was

So new (to me) cab next weekend. '68 this time, which is what I wanted in the first place. No issues with that one, even has all the glass.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:43 AM   #11
69SCSS

OH and the pics that I meant to attach LOL

There's the nylon tube, zip-tie, and the nice rust spot under the gas tank filler.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #12
69SCSS

From rustbucket to straight, clean and already re-done. Got my cab on saturday. I'm going to get the title from him after all, so no worries there. If all else fails I can file for a replacement title on the frame, so not gonna stress on it.

This cab was $400 as shown. No rust (except for some surface that was on the floor from the padding getting wet from being outside under a carport) and straight. New windshield and good back glass. Gotta find some doors for it though, but I have the matching tinted sideglass. Was actually not that much trouble to drop the cab on the frame, took about 15 minutes once we got it up in the air. Slowly rolled it back into position, put the front bolts into place and lined it up from those, and dropped it into place. Rears went right in.

Now I have to start sanding down the fenders, wheel tubs and grille, and paint them so i can install them. Hoping to have the body back together by June 1st. Wish me luck!

Here's some pics. Lots of great stuff, just gotta replace that red vent surround!!! The green gauge pointers and knobs are going too.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #13
69SCSS

More Pics.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #14
69SCSS

And more. A little bummed it looks like someone put in a floor shifter at one point. Gotta fix that hole.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2013, 01:09 AM   #15
69SCSS

Update.

Did a nice mad thrash on the truck this weekend to try and get as much as I could done and clean up the garage, which was a pretty big disaster after last weekend's thrash to get the cab.

First, the cab wasn't bolted down, so tightened up the mounts, and realized the PO had put the bushings upside down on the bottom, meaning the narrow part was up. Shook my head and moved on. LOL!

Then I hooked up the steering box, and went to put the shaft on. Realized something was wrong so looked at the column inside and the whole thing was moved toward the driver and turned to the left... ??? There's a notch to align the column but I guess they couldn't find it? So I loosened up the bracket under the dash and the one at the firewall and snapped it into place. Was a good 1" off in both directions. hmmm. Looks like someone kinda just slapped it in and called it good, maybe in a hurry? Who knows. now my steering shaft fits! Wow. Slapped the steering wheel on there to see how it looks, and put the bench in. Finally sat in it, after 6 months.

Put the front clip on too, but just for now. It needs to be totally adjusted to fit, and I just wanted the space back for now. next stop is to install the drums in the back. Hopefully this week.

Have a line on 2 nice doors too. Hoping to pick those up sunday morning.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:36 PM   #16
69SCSS

Made some progress today. Getting ready to put the steering together. Just gotta wait for the paint to totally dry.
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2013, 11:05 PM   #17
Bomp

Nice work and good catch on the po mishaps.
Must be a relief having a clean cab.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2013, 01:28 AM   #18
69SCSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Nice work and good catch on the po mishaps.
Must be a relief having a clean cab.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes it is. Before when I saw the cab I wanted to throw the towel in, but now it looks like a real truck! I've found quite a few *ahem* interesting things as I've gone thru this truck, and I'm sure I'll find more! One thing at a time, right?

The plan now is for PT2014, I'm gonna be done in time for 2013, and honestly the budget isn't there. I'll be able to have the truck a lot more finished by 2014, and the budget will be easier to keep. More time to save up!

BTW loving your truck build, man. We gotta have a BBQ and show off our trucks sometime.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #19
67cheby
67cheby

nice start, keep us posted !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:18 AM   #20
69SCSS

Well picked up a pair of doors from Rick down in Lebanon, if I don't watch it he's gonna get all my money for parts! He pretty much had me covered for parts this weekend and I have plenty to work with for a good while.

Got a pair of nice doors from him that he welded up the mirror holes in for me, and a pair of wing windows to go with them. They have door glass, but once I've torn the doors down, cleaned and repainted them, I will swap in my soft ray side window glass. The wings are clear glass, so I might swap those out to match the rest... but the windshield is clear too. Doors are just hanging on there with a couple bolts at the moment until I'm ready for them. At least it looks like a truck now!

Did a swing by the yard in Molalla on my way back from Rick's and scored a pretty straight bumper, the outer brackets, my missing drum brake hardware, and a prop valve that I'm missing. All for $60! I'll be swinging by there again next time I'm in town.

Here's some pics.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2013, 01:22 AM   #21
69SCSS

Also put my steering linkage together the other day. All ready to bolt on, whenever I get the frame cleaned up!

And one of the interior with the doors on... wow, it almost looks complete. There's my newly painted and ready to go sway bar too. The steering linkage will be joining it on the bench soon so I have workbench room.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2013, 08:18 AM   #22
Low Elco

Making a good start! Now to just scrubby scrubby! Oughta be a nice one!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #23
Bomp

Nice progress....
You picked up some nice parts. Down in Lebanon,,, If you went the I5 route you flew right past me homestead.
As for get togethers.I went to one of the monthly get togethers awhile back that JRE puts on for the local (Oregon&Washington) guys once a month. Think he has one scheduled for the 28th this month. Stark Street Pizza off of I205.

Enough rambling......
Your making sweet progress.....nice score on the doors.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #24
Nitschke

LOL I just saw your last pic and thought your seat looked like one I just saw on CL yesterday then realized your in Vancouer to!
Posted via Mobile Device

Motor: LY6 6.0 Liter
Trans: 6L80E
Still under construction
Nitschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #25
69SCSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitschke View Post
LOL I just saw your last pic and thought your seat looked like one I just saw on CL yesterday then realized your in Vancouer to!
Posted via Mobile Device
Yup, right here in Minnihaha. yea I should take a new pic of those parts, I've had a few people ask me if I wanted to sell it!