The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
elks

Hard Top Help

I found a top on CL. I am thinking about getting. However my blazer has always had a soft top.

1. So what are the main areas of concern when evaluating a hard top?

2. How can a person tell a single wall from a double wall and why is the single better (weight I guess)?

3. The top will need new glass on sides and rear. The Rear glass I find at LMC. But have yet to find a source for the side glass. I know a JY would be a good start, but if I could find a top in the JY with glass I would not be looking at this one.

4. Can anyone post picks of the top attachment system? How does it mount to windshield frame and the bed rails.

5. Also is $300 a decent price for a top missing glass assuming it is crack free and structurally sound?
Old 11-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
briank

Re: Hard Top Help

Check for sagging on the roof portion ,almost guaranteed to have some and also look.for chunks missing and severity of cracks. Dont worry about the glass, you can get it from one of us. Make sure the hatch is complete and sound. They are hard to find in nice shape.A single wall has lights on the drivers side and I believe the bolts mount from the top.At the front windshield there are brackets mounted to the frame with provisions to bolt to the top as well.A single wall also has long stainless strips that you will need that run the bed length.
Posted via Mobile Device
briank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
truckster

The easiest way to tell if you're looking at a single wall or double wall is look at the part that attaches to the bed rail. If you have to look underneath for the bolt holes, it's a double wall. If you're looking at a flange that's about 1/4 inch thick and three or so inches wide and see bolt holes from the top, it's a single wall.

Single wall mounts to the bed rails with bolts from the top. Double wall mounts to the bed rail with bolts that come up through the bed rail. There is also a bolt on each side that bolts to a flange that comes down by the tailgate. The front has four bolts. One goes through each of the visor brackets (those are longer bolts) and there are two nearer the middle, on either side of the mirror mount. I can get you some pictures this afternoon.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
JBerno

I have a pair of side windows out of a Double wall top if you are interested, I am not sure if they would fit or not, anyone care to chime in on this?
Old 11-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
truckster

Here are the pics, as promised:

The first picture is of the sides of my single-wall top. The bolts go in through the top into captured nuts in the bed rail. That's really the key to whether or not yours originally had a single wall. If the captured nuts are in the bedside, it's a single wall. If the nuts are in the shell, it's a double wall.

Next is the front. The arrows show where the bolts that hold the front down are located. All bolts on mine are 5/16 X 1 1/4, except the two that go through the visor bracket. Those are 2 1/4 long.

Third is the bolt that's at the rear by the tailgate; one on each side.

The last part is the drip deflector; sometimes it's missing, but it's really important for keeping the wet out. Although it's attached with a couple of sheet metal screws, it won't do a lot to keep the top on, but without it you'll get some serious leaks at the top of the windshield frame and door. I use a generous amount of RTV black when I'm installing the drip deflectors.

Good luck. Let me know if you need anything else.
Attached Images

truckster is offline   Reply With Quote