The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2017, 11:56 AM   #1
Newty-Newt

Heated seat question for 55-59 Trucks

Hi guys, I have a 56 shortbed with the original bench seat. I would like to upgrade the truck to a more modern seat with a headrest. Also if possible is anybody using heated seats in their truck? What newer bench seats and brackets do you guys recommend? I am six foot tall and the original seat works ok. It is just a little mouse eaten over the years and for a project I would like to install something safer over the winter months.

Thanks
Newty-Newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:48 PM   #2
dsraven

Re: Heated seat question for 55-59 Trucks

you can get seat heating elements from dorman and wire them in. may want to keep track of the time in use with some sort of timer?
some guys are using the rear seats from astro vans, yukons etc and fabbing a new base. it would be nice, from a safety standpoint, to have some with integrated seat belts. the cab is, unfortunately, too short fore to aft to install a bucket with a headrest because it rubs on the rear of the cab for tall guys (not that I would know from experience). the newer chevy pick up seats have the belts but may need some rework to fit in there. you could see what ogre has done, his are cut down but not sure from what. also have seen guys use a bench from a 88-98 chevy truck and remove the headrest
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:02 PM   #3
_Ogre

oem heated seats work with the body control module from the oem donor vehicle
kits are available if you want to add them to your newly reupholstered bench seat

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:45 PM   #4
Black_Sheep

Anyone know the current draw for electric seats? I'm curious if an otherwise stock electrical system can support them. Around here, by the time it's cold enough to really benefit from heated seats there's probably several few of snow on the ground and the truck is tucked away for the winter.
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:44 AM   #5
SanJosesSteve

I purchased a Sojoy carbon fiber heated seat kit on Amazon for $75 a few years ago and installed it in the passenger seat of our convertible Fiat 124. It was pretty easy to slip under the upholstery. I don't remember exactly, but I think it only drew 3 amps on low and 5 amps on the high setting. I "upgraded" from a 45 amp to a 65 amp alternator at the same time.

My wife says it works well enough but I thought it a little on the weak side. (Compared to the factory heated seats in our Chevy Tahoe.) Of course my bottom end has way more insulation than hers. :-)

If I were to do it again, I'd look for one that drew more power.

-Steve
Old 11-02-2017, 08:07 PM   #6
1project2many

Quote:
My wife says it works well enough but I thought it a little on the weak side. (Compared to the factory heated seats in our Chevy Tahoe.) Of course my bottom end has way more insulation than hers. :-)

I'm looking for an aftermarket seat heater kit right now. 5A at 13V is 65W. That seems ok by the numbers but I'm wondering how warm the fabric gets. Is it warm or hot to the touch?
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:23 PM   #7
lynx5653

I would say heated seats are leather and some do get quite hot, that is why the leather and not cloth for a cover material.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:40 AM   #8
SanJosesSteve

The heated seats in our Tahoe get HOT on the highest setting. (It has leather upholstery.) The seats in our old Fiat are vinyl. The upholstery is "rolled" for lack of a better term and so the heating element is between the base foam cushion and the thin "rolled" upholstered cover. That may partly account for why it does not feel as hot. The rolled upholstery is acting a an insulator where as in the Tahoe, I think the heating element is directly under the leather.
When it comes to adding a heated seat kit, placement is probably everything! -Steve
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2017, 03:16 PM   #9
Newty-Newt

Thank you everybody for your ideas. On the Tri-Five.com forum someone suggested using a seat from an 88 - 94 Chevy truck 60/40 bench seat that a lot of guys use. I was actually looking for advice from someone that changed their seat and loves what modern upgrade that they used. I appreciate your advice and the heated element info.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:08 PM   #10
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newty-Newt View Post
Thank you everybody for your ideas. On the Tri-Five.com forum someone suggested using a seat from an 88 - 94 Chevy truck 60/40 bench seat that a lot of guys use. I was actually looking for advice from someone that changed their seat and loves what modern upgrade that they used. I appreciate your advice and the heated element info.
I pulled a seat out of a 1990 Chevy pickup for my 56, but no heated seats.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:03 PM   #11
Newty-Newt

Are you happy with the fit and did you have to make any special brackets?