The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2019, 02:37 AM   #126
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Re: K30 Downgrade to Cummins Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post

From what I can see on your engine position, you are still way too far forward. I can also tell you, for a tow rig you want a mechanical fan. You will want to jump up to the dodge radiator too and ditch the stock BBC radiator. My truck has a stock BBC radiator and it does just fine towing 15k on an open trailer.

I realize you're trying to get by with not much lift but I don't think you will get there without putting the engine a little farther down and back more. If you want I can send you a dodge exhaust manifold so your mount issues are a little easier. I probably have a dodge oil drain too. The ford bus/F700 AC mount is probably the one you're talking about. They're pretty pricey. Auto world also makes mounting brackets and a dual pulley to put ac compressors on the head above the injection pump.
Thanks for the info. Most of the time I'll be towing 8000lbs on an open trailer and the most would be 15k on an open. Don't own an enclosed, at least yet That said, I don't want to have an issue if i get in traffic on a hot day. How many core is the 94 dodge stock rad? I could get an upgraded BBC 4 core. Currently there is a 3 core in there. I've got a 2nd gen intercooler for this, looks like it will fit well but I may have to cut the core support upright braces to not push the stock 86 grille out the nose too far.

Actually i'm within an inch (front to back) of where most of the mount kits for these trucks have the engine placed. If i move the engine down any more I'll definitely need to lift it since the axle will be too close to the oil pan. Is the fan the only reason you're saying go down and back? I can't go back without going down.

As for the dodge manifold, thank for the offer. I need to do more homework though since I feel that will create an issue of putting the turbo too close to AC/heater box if i go with stock chevy AC box for the evaporator? I need to see if thats a better option vs the Thermo King or Vintage air. uugggh many considerations.

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6

Last edited by Vintage Windmills; 01-17-2019 at 03:00 AM.
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:29 PM   #127
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Jud, if you're going to use a 2nd gen intercooler, just get a dodge cummins radiator. Mine currently is a 4 core so I don't think you going from the 3 core to 4 core will be enough. Yes, it will work, but there will be a time it won't be enough. I'm going to put a dodge one in my truck before summer. Watching your temp gauge at 232* and climbing is not fun.

Yes, I'm saying to get that engine as far back as you can because you will need it for the clearance on the clutch fan to the radiator. Here again you can get by with electric fans. I have done a couple of trucks with electric fans. They work alright until they don't. Then good luck getting parts at a normal parts store.

The dodge manifold might put it close to a stock hvac box. I did have one in my 76 on a 24v and it fit. So there again, it's all about where the engine is placed. You can also flip the dodge manifold and put the turbo above the hvac box. That's how I have it on my 72 and my Excursion.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:16 PM   #128
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

So its proving to be a bit harder to find a dodge rad I like than I thought.

I'm compiling notes here:
Rock auto sells a bunch of stock replacement options but all are 2 core (2.2 core thick) with plastic tanks for $150 or less. Are you saying this stock class will work for tow rig status with my engine power level?

Champion makes a 3 core (2.25 core thick) for $250 but its only listed as applicable for the gas truck engines. Good news is its all alum and rated for 850 HP. I know those HP ratings only apply for a certain duty cycle though (read drag racing or street use and not prolonged towing up long hills )

Champion makes a 4 core BBC (2.8 core thick) for $275 listed for 1000+ HP.

Then there are the 2 core (2.7 core thick) for $800 made by Griffin.

Key learning, its also about core thickness and not just the number of cores.

The positives of running the BBC radiator
- may not have to cut the core support all to bits (only if intercooler needs to come closer to rad).
- stock fit
- as high a HP rating as the thinner, wider Cummins ones.

The negatives of running the BBC radiator
- not as proven in a towing capacity as a cummins one
- ports are 1.5 instead of 1.75/2.00 on a cummins one
- thicker core means less clearance to front of engine
- not cutting core support means I have the thickness of the core support "beams" wasting space between rad and intercooler and making it hard or impossible to fit the grille on the front of the truck. Especially with AC condenser up there. Maybe I can put the condenser after the intercooler....
Attached Images

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )

'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642

Last edited by Vintage Windmills; 01-18-2019 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:11 PM   #129
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Jud, I did put a Champion radiator like the one you have pictured in that yellow suburban I did. It worked, but I'm not sure how it would do with a big enclosed trailer or large 5th wheel. I know the owner towed a 16' enclosed from tennessee to Iowa 2 different times and said it did fine. But I can't imagine the weight was as great as a large enclosed filled would be.

I've used a lot of these and had good results. I've had very little luck getting radiators shipped to me so I prefer to walk in and buy one. If it's damaged, they walk back and get another.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NRS2464

Here's a really good one but it is pricey. I've put in a few of these and they are pretty nice. I can get you a price on one if you decide to go that route.

https://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/mmrad-ram-94/

I put a 2nd gen intercooler on my brother's 84 K20 and it fit great. Had room to use the stock hood latch etc. Had plenty of room to put the grill on too.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 01-18-2019, 11:12 PM   #130
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Thanks Ryan, good point on being able to return it. Do you know how thick the core is or how many rows it has? I can't find much info on the Napa site.

Have you seen these? They look nice, are 4 core (2.44 in thick) and all aluminum. https://www.ebay.com/itm/253878616552?ul_noapp=true

losing my cool over these radiators

Old 01-21-2019, 03:56 PM   #131
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

The stock dodge cummins ones are 3 core. That ebay one looks pretty nice for the money. As long as they are good on their warranty, you should be good to go.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 01-21-2019, 07:31 PM   #132
DieselSJ

Don't get focused on 4 row. 2 fat rows will outcool 4 thin rows.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:37 PM   #133
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

I decided to roll the dice and try the all aluminum 2.44 thick 4 core off ebay. Its being shipped and now I'm working on figuring out the trans crossmember. Think I'll just build it from scratch or modify the chevy one.

on this cold day I'm putting a list together of things I need to research and figure out.

- Tach- Whats the best way to get a tach on this thing?
- AC compressor mount- needs to be up higher. I could try to locate a medium duty truck water outlet/mount bracket but it may be $400? Otherwise I could maybe buy this
setup but I'm concerned they say the lower water neck needs to point down at 45 degrees. I don't want to do that since that will send it right towards the frame rail.
https://www.dieselconversion.com/hig...l#!prettyPhoto

-Cruise control - whats a good non vacuum option?
-Dmax rear axle springs are so long, I'd have to move the stock saddle fuel tanks. The springs in the truck are 10 leaf and look like they'll be pretty stiff. Perhaps if/when I swap
to the AAM 11.5 I will just get a set of stock K20 rear springs. I have the air lift airbags in the rear for capacity when hauling heavy.
-Fuel system - need to figure out if I should replace/upgrade the tanks or just flush them out. I'd like to run the dual tank setup. Trying to remember if the lift pump on the
engine is enough to draw the fuel or if i need a pump closer to the tank. Can't remember what the dodge gen 1's did. I think they just used the lift pump.

Last edited by Vintage Windmills; 01-27-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:14 PM   #134
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills View Post
I decided to roll the dice and try the all aluminum 2.44 thick 4 core off ebay. Its being shipped and now I'm working on figuring out the trans crossmember. Think I'll just build it from scratch or modify the chevy one.

on this cold day I'm putting a list together of things I need to research and figure out.

- Tach- Whats the best way to get a tach on this thing?
- AC compressor mount- needs to be up higher. I could try to locate a medium duty truck water outlet/mount bracket but it may be $400? Otherwise I could maybe buy this
setup but I'm concerned they say the lower water neck needs to point down at 45 degrees. I don't want to do that since that will send it right towards the frame rail.
https://www.dieselconversion.com/hig...l#!prettyPhoto

-Cruise control - whats a good non vacuum option?
-Dmax rear axle springs are so long, I'd have to move the stock saddle fuel tanks. The springs in the truck are 10 leaf and look like they'll be pretty stiff. Perhaps if/when I swap
to the AAM 11.5 I will just get a set of stock K20 rear springs. I have the air lift airbags in the rear for capacity when hauling heavy.
-Fuel system - need to figure out if I should replace/upgrade the tanks or just flush them out. I'd like to run the dual tank setup. Trying to remember if the lift pump on the
engine is enough to draw the fuel or if i need a pump closer to the tank. Can't remember what the dodge gen 1's did. I think they just used the lift pump.
Does your truck have a factory tach currently? On my 72 I haven't gotten my tach done but I am using a dodge pick up sensor from a 92-early 98. I'm also using that style balancer that has 2 extra grooves cut into it so it will pick up the proper pulse for the gm tach. You can then wire the pick up sensor to your truck harness but you have to add a 1k ohm resistor to the pick up sensor harness so the tach will work correctly.

Or you can get a signal conversion box from dakota digital or even off ebay.

AC compressor mount...... Here is a link to a thread that has the part numbers listed in it if you need them. If you go this route and let me know and I'll get you some prices if you'd like.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...bracket-2.html

That DCS one does allow you to use your stock dodge alternator and the price isn't horrible. On the lower inlet you could make your own. Make a flat flange that bolts to the new mount and then use 90s and cut/weld to get your angle you need. On my Corvette I cut up a dodge bracket and welded a 90* bend on it and it's been on there since.

I feel this is one of the best cruise control set ups out there. Years ago I put some on semis and they worked great.

http://www.rostra.com/universal-afte...-by-rostra.php

As far as the fuel system goes, you can run your stock stuff and use that stock switch over valve. You don't need another pump other than the lift pump that is on the side of the engine block. The only thing that I don't like about using the dual tank set up is it is kind of small line size if you are running a p pump at volume. At the power levels you're going to be you would be fine though.

As far as the newer leaf spring swaps etc, I'm no help there. I haven't done any on these trucks.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 02-02-2019, 02:31 PM   #135
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Quote:
Does your truck have a factory tach currently? On my 72 I haven't gotten my tach done but I am using a dodge pick up sensor from a 92-early 98. I'm also using that style balancer that has 2 extra grooves cut into it so it will pick up the proper pulse for the gm tach. You can then wire the pick up sensor to your truck harness but you have to add a 1k ohm resistor to the pick up sensor harness so the tach will work correctly.

Or you can get a signal conversion box from dakota digital or even off ebay.
Thanks Ryan. Not a factory tach truck. There's a Sunpro tach that was installed for the BBC. It reads pretty high for a diesel. I'm mainly trying to figure out the pick up sensor. It seems I may be able to tap into the alternator rectifier, add a different damper with more grooves, or just add a 4pulse ring like this: http://www.destroked.com/mobile/prod_tach_kits.php Where did you mount your pick up sensor?
Quote:
AC compressor mount...... Here is a link to a thread that has the part numbers listed in it if you need them. If you go this route and let me know and I'll get you some prices if you'd like.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...bracket-2.html

That DCS one does allow you to use your stock dodge alternator and the price isn't horrible. On the lower inlet you could make your own. Make a flat flange that bolts to the new mount and then use 90s and cut/weld to get your angle you need. On my Corvette I cut up a dodge bracket and welded a 90* bend on it and it's been on there since.
Good reference on the part numbers, I need to compare the options today while looking at where the boost and air intake tubes will run.
Attached Images

Last edited by Vintage Windmills; 02-02-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:22 PM   #136
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Pics of the rad. Looks good and box was in good shape and it was well packed. The funny thing is the one mount ear was bent. It must have been bent before being boxed LOL. Shouldn't be a big deal though. The size and quality looks good to me.

I bought a fan off craigs to see if I could fit the mech fan and I can get about 3/4" clearance it seems but I need to mock up grille, intercooler and AC conderser to confirm. The thing I'm not liking is the fan is too low it seems. The tips dip below the core support about 3 or 4 inches.
Attached Images

Last edited by Vintage Windmills; 02-02-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:48 PM   #137
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Also I wasn't able to work in the shop much this past week. We were below zero for 3 days straight. Cut some dry oak to keep the house warm while I worked from home. Our office was pretty much closed and people were encouraged to work remotely. Brrr.
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2019, 11:58 AM   #138
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

This post is for my notes on the AC stuff:

Moving compressor up puts the back within 1" of the oil filter on the engine THis compressor is a about 8.5" overall length, which appears to be about the same as one on Vintage air site, the Sanden SD508. Vintage air also shows a SD-7B10 that is 7" overall length. I need to call them and see what compressor comes in the kit for a non AC squarebody. Here are the compressor dims: https://www.vintageair.com/universit...0-compressors/

Perhaps I could run a gmt400 type of AC compressor. They are pretty low profile but brackets would be more hassle. Here is one on rock auto: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...051007&jsn=620

Need to do more thinking on the VA kit, it appears that adding the dash vents can be a pain and I'd lose glovebox space. Here is thread for reference http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489024

Trying to weigh the options of VA vs a factory swap.

I could sure use a squarebody parts truck for AC parts, a clutch pedal setup, and ideally an aux battery tray, power windows and locks, cruise, floor shift tilt column, tow hooks. You would think there'd be some rusty affordable ones around here but I haven't been able to find anything with more than a couple things on the wish list above for a good price.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:19 PM   #139
v30crewcab

Ive had a 454 rad in mine for many years. never had it overheat. I have pulled 26K and not had any issues. my gooseneck and crane are close to 20K by themselves.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522535
v30crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:46 PM   #140
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Some parts that arrived:
-clutch rated for 450hp, should be 25 or 50 more than i need.
-new flywheel
-np205 rebuild kit, not sure if needed now or if I will save for the future but the price wasn't bad and I won't know until I pop some covers off. The np205 worked fine when I drove the dodge it was in.

Also I made an adapter plate for lifing np205's that bolts to my floor jack
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2019, 10:47 PM   #141
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by v30crewcab View Post
Ive had a 454 rad in mine for many years. never had it overheat. I have pulled 26K and not had any issues. my gooseneck and crane are close to 20K by themselves.
Nice, glad to hear. Are you using mechanical dodge fan?

Old 02-06-2019, 11:12 PM   #142
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Seems like there's no traffic in this area of the forum anymore.... no posts in any threads in the diesel conversions section today. Overall traffic on the entire website seems to be a fraction of what it was a few years ago. Where did everyone go? Are people reading this thread besides those that post? Is there a better area for these projects?

Old 02-07-2019, 10:04 PM   #143
COS399

Just my opinion but I think everybody might have shifted over to a quicker platform. This is kind of like writing a letter and almost everyone wants it now and they don't want to wait. Keep posting and I will keep reading along.

That issue with all the lost photos didn't help either.

1987 GMC R2500 SC 454 T400
1988 Chevy R30 CC DRW 12 valve Cummins NV4500 GearVendors
COS399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:14 AM   #144
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Jud, which tow hooks are you looking for? Just the standard ones that came on these 80s square bodys?

I know a lot of the guys that used to post in here just got too busy and don't get on here much, or they moved on to other social media sites. But I feel this is still a better place to get and find info. Especially for your own builds.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 02-11-2019, 09:47 PM   #145
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by COS399 View Post
Just my opinion but I think everybody might have shifted over to a quicker platform. This is kind of like writing a letter and almost everyone wants it now and they don't want to wait. Keep posting and I will keep reading along.

That issue with all the lost photos didn't help either.
I think your right, maybe I can link posting here to a social media site to draw in that crowd

I'll keep posting here regardless.

Quote:
Jud, which tow hooks are you looking for? Just the standard ones that came on these 80s square bodys?

I know a lot of the guys that used to post in here just got too busy and don't get on here much, or they moved on to other social media sites. But I feel this is still a better place to get and find info. Especially for your own builds.
I agree, seems easier to compile and search here.
Yep, just a set of standard square body hooks.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:56 PM   #146
Roaddogg

I'm watching it. Don't quit posting updates!!
Roaddogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:23 PM   #147
gmikkels

Me too, I check the diesel conversion page every day.
Special THANKS to the dieselwrencher for all the good info.
Gene
gmikkels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:50 PM   #148
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddogg View Post
I'm watching it. Don't quit posting updates!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmikkels View Post
Me too, I check the diesel conversion page every day.
Special THANKS to the dieselwrencher for all the good info.
Gene
Thanks guys, this helps motivate me to post. I've been making progress and will share some info and pics. I agree, Dieselwrencher is a big help for sure!

I'm having a couple other issues with the forum as far as posting goes and maybe that is also driving people away. 1). the forum will not allow me to log in on my phone so its a pain to post pics!! 2.) it keeps rotating my pics when I upload them- ggggrrrrrr! I guess I need to flip them sideways in advance so they are right side up when the forum touches them. It didn't do this in years past.

I cut out the core support down to the frame rails since the big radiator would otherwise hit the hood when the hood was closed. I have been test fitting with the intercooler and leaving enough room for AC condenser. The first pic below shows position mock up with rad sitting on rails and IC in front. It will come back close to an inch from here to allow the condenser to fit and still use the stock dodge fan shroud. I am basically going to have to design and make the whole center section of the core support from scratch and I can't use the stock mounting perches since the rad and IC need to practically touch the frame rails, just leaving enough clearance for vibration through the rubber mounts. I think I will have steel tubing rigidly bolt to the frame rails and then extend out to a relocated rubber bushing that is basically under the headlights. This way I keep the principle of damping the vibration to the fenders and grille but allow the rad/IC/condenser as far forward as possible. I now have a good 2" of clearance to the engine driven fan. I am trying to move the fan shaft up 1 inch or a bit more on the engine to better center the fan in the shroud. There are actually 2 holes 1 inch above the stock holes, but I need to figure out how to get the other 2 bolts tied to something. I don't feel comfortable drilling and tapping the block. I may CAD up a fan shaft/bearing housing and machine it or I may be able to fab up a way of clamping it to the block from neighboring holes on the front of the block. I went ahead and bought a 2nd gen condenser and AC compressor from Rock auto along with a bunch of other parts.

Decided I would rather fabricate the engine accessory mounts than buy something since the costs are adding up quick and I enjoy the fab work.
I was able to make some good progress this weekend on fabricating up a mount for the AC compressor and modifying what was there for a high alternator mount. I am using what used to be the top support for the alternator as the bottom mount for it. I cut the compressor mount off the AC/water inlet and will bolt it to my steel fabricated bracket. I am going to have to relocate the tensioner, and actually toss the 2nd gen one and get one from 3rd gen since it tensions in the opposite direction. Now I am wondering what lengths I can buy the 8 rib belts in. I need to wrap a string around everything and get a measurement.
Attached Images

Last edited by Vintage Windmills; 02-12-2019 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:38 PM   #149
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

I have more pics and info to share but want to let people digest/respond to the last post first.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:18 PM   #150
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Back in 2007 or so I built the alt and AC comp brackets for the 12v in my Dad's 91 f350. Have you looked at the industrial 5,9 tensioners to see if they'll work for you? I've had very little luck with the 3rd gen after market ones living short lives. Would an intercooled 1st gen fan hub suite your needs better? They are raised up a little more than the 2nd gen ones. You could make your own mount with DOM, flat plate and gussets. Tony made one for his suburban but I'm not sure he posts on here much anymore. I'll message him and have him put his pics here. I sent you an email with a pic of some hooks too.
1969 Chevy milk truck