The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2014, 05:53 PM   #201
jaros44sr

Re: Project Madera: A Jimmy GT

Sure helps me, as i hav nt gotten that far yet

Ya gotta downsize that pic way up top, hard to read your thread it s small....
Nevermind were on the next page

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #202
jjzepplin

AWWW DAMN! I mean
AWWWWW DAAAMN!
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:09 AM   #203
skorpioskorpio

I don't see how I can not get one, I mean eventually the truck is going to have a stripe of aluminum from radiator to fuel tank, interrupted by a steel rear end. It just doesn't seem right, not when I could have one of those. Already talked to a guy in San Bernardino who can fan up the tubes to use all my Moser parts. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon....
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:23 PM   #204
jaros44sr

Tried to google that company and part, but couldn t find it, any help....

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #205
watahyahknow

you know looking at that diff i starting to wonder how difficult it would be to wittle it out of a piece of billet , looks pertty straight forwarth

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #206
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
Tried to google that company and part, but couldn t find it, any help....
Sure:

http://speedmaster79.com/tds/rear-axle-housings/

There is also a previous versions of it that doesn't have the extended fluid capacity and uses round end axle tubes instead of octogonal end.

Name:  Front.jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  19.7 KB
Name:  Rear.jpg
Views: 1156
Size:  17.8 KB
Name:  Tubes.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  17.1 KB

Speedmaster only sells the new style with the saggy diaper bottom.

Name:  Front New.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  42.9 KB
Name:  Rear New.jpg
Views: 1159
Size:  34.1 KB
Old 09-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #207
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
you know looking at that diff i starting to wonder how difficult it would be to wittle it out of a piece of billet , looks pertty straight forwarth
Considering the kit costs under $600, I seriously doubt you'd be able to wittle one out of billet for anywhere close to that. The block of 6061 itself would probably cost you triple that, easily. The fabricator I talked to was giving me a non-binding quote of a grand (give or take) with ends and mounts installed on the tubes and races for my existing taper bearings.

The description on the kit claims being able to accept 28, 31 and 35 spline axles, and aluminum 3rd members are available from several manufactures (mine is from Moser). If you used a 35 in the rear and a 31 or even a 28 in front it'd make for one stout but somewhat light drive train. I know even a steel housing Ford 9 is lighter and stronger than a 12 bolt and probably half the weight of a 14 bolt or a Dana 60 (both of which are very seriously heavy).
Old 10-04-2014, 01:39 PM   #208
zammer
Addicted user

Wow nice work! Subscribed!!
1970 Jimmy 4wd - future project
zammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:25 AM   #209
skorpioskorpio

Thanks, and I take that as a serious compliment from another building an unnessisarily complicated project . Your project is on my subscribed list as well.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:58 PM   #210
skorpioskorpio

It's a small thing but I'm excited about it, I scored 4 original NOS black Marchal covers for my "big" lights. These are almost non existent in any condition,
Name:  IMG_0348.jpg
Views: 1171
Size:  30.3 KB

and I already had matching ones for the fogs.
Name:  IMG_0347.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  20.9 KB

...and revised my Photoshop rendering to show what they'd look like on the truck.
Name:  JimmyGT Concept Nose SBR wcovers.jpg
Views: 1506
Size:  46.4 KB
Old 10-18-2014, 06:45 PM   #211
watahyahknow

i think you better only put them on there during cashows or they be gone before you know it
they kindah eazy to get off the lights

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
Old 10-19-2014, 03:51 AM   #212
skorpioskorpio

Yea, I hear ya. The black covers will be the trucks fancy dress outfit. I have other covers as well that I value a lot less. I have white plastic covers (that are actually a ***** to get off) and the vinyl sock type, all of them are actually original Marchal covers. The plastic ones I also have matching fog covers the vinyl I don't. As a daily thing I don't think I'd cover the fogs anyway. The drivers and the spots on the other hand may technically violate laws to run them uncovered.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:47 PM   #213
skorpioskorpio

I guess I never posted pics of my crazy under floor hydroboost since it came back from machining. The mount is a Scott's Hotrods assembly but didn't clear the accumulator for the hydroboost so it needed to be machined to tuck the accumulator inside the frame rail. I also had all the holes counterbored for RivNuts so they would sit flush. I still plan on replacing the rodend for the booster with a split fork type and changing the bronze bearing inside the pedal pivot with a needle bearing assembly and also needle bearing thrust washers on the ends of the pivot so that it can operate really smoothly. The pedal also does not have a return spring which I'll also probably add.
Name:  IMG_0353.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  49.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0354.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  46.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0356.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  52.3 KB

I also have to devise a new mount for the apportioning valve and residual check valves, the mount that is on it is too low, I don't want a valve that all the brake fluid runs through to be lower than the frame, that's a bad idea. This thing is going to be interesting to plumb with 3 brake lines, a portioning valve, 3 residual check valves, 2 remote reservoir lines, 3 hydraulic pressure lines, and 2 pressure limiting valves all crammed into a space the size of a load of bread.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:34 PM   #214
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio View Post
...and revised my Photoshop rendering to show what they'd look like on the truck.
Attachment 1313929
Maybe it's already been covered and I missed it...but it looks like all those lights might severely restrict airflow to the cooling system.
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #215
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasted Income View Post
Maybe it's already been covered and I missed it...but it looks like all those lights might severely restrict airflow to the cooling system.
Which is the reason for the spoiler, cowl hood and Trans Am extractors in the fenders, to direct airflow from below and give it a place to exit up high. Also plan to dimple die the roll pan to increase airflow. As long as there is a non pressure bound path and the general flow is low to high I don't see where the lights will have any real negative effect. Most new vehicles have hardly any frontal airflow at all.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #216
Possmguts

Ok.. Im in.. following this to the end. You guys have way too much money!
Possmguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #217
watahyahknow

it was my initial idea to use the atlas as whell , since i live in europe i found an engine that does about the same thing
- makes 245 hp and 289 lb·ft of torque in stock form
- 4 valves per cilinder
- twin overhead cams
- chain camdrive
- coil over plug ignition
- 4 liter
- forced crank
- 7 mainbearings
- normal oilpan with the sump in the back
- fully aluminium with cast iron liners
- comes stock with a 4l80e (in the high performance versions at least )
- is available with a supercharger and intercooler from the factorie making 322 hp and 378 lb·ft in stock form (and there not rare to find)

the donorcars with the engine and the trans can be found for about 500 to 1500 euro
the jaguar AJ6 4.0
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_AJ6_engine
nice thing is that the jaguar xj6 4.0 and xjs6 4.0 usually come fully loaded with all kinds of luxury too like fully electric leather seats cruise controll and aircon

Last edited by watahyahknow; 11-17-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:31 PM   #218
skorpioskorpio

The Trailblazer engine is really similar dimensionally (bore x stroke, airflow, HP potential) to an old E-Type 4.2 liter, so I absolutely get where you are coming from. My goal is for the end result to have a E-Type sound to it, specifically I'm shooting for the sound of an Eagle E-Type, just a fantastic sounding engine.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:42 AM   #219
watahyahknow

i think doing a 6-2-1 collector on the exaust will help with that

Old 11-18-2014, 11:54 AM   #220
skorpioskorpio

Interesting, hadn't really considered that to be a contributor. My headers are 6-2-1s but the secondary collector is really short, although it's just a slip fit collector that I could easily extend. Maybe that is a good idea to extend the secondaries a bit before going into the single.

This is the best pic I have of my headers:

Name:  WP_20140815_004.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  41.2 KB
Old 11-20-2014, 07:16 AM   #221
Dagobah

I'm fascinated by your project. Before reading this thread, I hadn't heard anything about the atlas motor. Not that changing directions at this point in the project would be a good idea, but had you ever considered something like this?

It seems like you're already doing a ton of fabricating, and I'm assuming that 3-d printing is only going to make one-off parts like this more affordable. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing more progress in your project.
Attached Images

Dagobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #222
watahyahknow

if you could 3d print it in wax and make a lost mould casting of it , it could be done but you need to take the schrinkage of the aluminium in consideration (make the wax mould a percentage bigger)

Old 11-20-2014, 04:26 PM   #223
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobah View Post
I'm fascinated by your project. Before reading this thread, I hadn't heard anything about the atlas motor. Not that changing directions at this point in the project would be a good idea, but had you ever considered something like this?

It seems like you're already doing a ton of fabricating, and I'm assuming that 3-d printing is only going to make one-off parts like this more affordable. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing more progress in your project.
Looks a bit like the Ryan Falconer engine:

which is based on the 250/292 bottom end and along with the Atlas was used in GMs Baja and Pikes Peak racers. GM built it with Ryans help and Ryan retained ownership of the design (or bought it out) and now sells them for about $50,000 bare. In this program both of these engines in turbo form were pushing 700-850 HP during that program and dominated both events even against teammate trucks running Chevy V8s. The injection is available as an off the shelf product from Kinsler for the Falconer engine.

All that said I decided on what I did for a few reasons, one I felt it important to use a GM engine in my project, two I didn't want a push rod engine, three the Northstar has issues and in the end still sounds like a typical cross crank V8 (bubba-da-bubba-da...) and four GM never made a production V10 or V12, OK not a modern V12, the GMC V12 is actually a twin V6 and weighs near a ton.

You know putting anything in one of these trucks that isn't a variation on the original theme to what came in them is blasphemy to many so in the end putting a GM truck engine in a GM truck seemed like the way to go. There will always be the occasional, well my sisters cousins husband who works on these things all the time says that those engines are junk and you should have used a small block, garbage. Fact is that among the small community that are swapping these engines in, they consider 100,000 mile engines low milage, and there are others running these at the strip running high boost turbos and 800+HP and spinning them up past 10,000 rpm and I've heard no stories from that crowd about *any* catastrophic failures at all.

Last edited by skorpioskorpio; 11-20-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:49 PM   #224
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
if you could 3d print it in wax and make a lost mould casting of it , it could be done but you need to take the schrinkage of the aluminium in consideration (make the wax mould a percentage bigger)
Shrinkage rate for investment cast is 100.008% or that is the scale you need to compensate for when doing your print. I am 3D printing my intake manifold to have it investment cast. A head or a block is probably too big and too complicated to investment cast as your shrinkage ratios at that scale start to become non-linear, and good luck finding cheap access to a 3D printer that can print it...and it'd probably take weeks to print. Probably not a practical project. Even my manifold will need to be printed in at least 2, and maybe 3 pieces and then glued up (or actually melted together as I am going to print straight to wax).

An engine block and heads has all kinds of internal water jackets, lots of post cast machining, lots of blind passages that are difficult to get the casting medium out of, it's a lot more thought and a lot more complicated, and probably really needs to be done as sand cast, which means cores and all that.

If I was going to do a whole engine it'd probably be a V12, and would probably be a 60 degree so the math worked out, and probably use something like a Harley connecting rod to keep it as short as possible. But having to rely on others for this sort of thing means such a project would take insane amounts of money. Don't get me wrong designing an engine from the ground up is a dream of mine, just not a practical one.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:58 AM   #225
watahyahknow

yeah i think even the factorie makes the core with the water passages and stuff seperate from the outside , it would take time and monet allthough the price might go down over the next coupe of years