The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2014, 01:26 PM   #1
Patch

1990 Burb power steering pulley death match

So.......I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with that ONE stud on the drivers side exhaust manifold that is captured by the alternator brace....yes? When did Chevy start building vehicles like Grumman built aircraft? That brace is attached to the backside of the power steering pump...which you cant disconnect unless the pump is loosened/removed....to do that, you have to pull the power steering pump pulley AND....to do that you have to have a simple puller....right????
Three days later.....one destroyed puller and a pulley I had to slice into two pieces.....OML....Seriously???
The guide shaft that came with the puller would not...would not fit inside the hole on the pump shaft....(have a 91 burb right next to it...it fit fine on that one) So.....longggggggg story short, the collar on the pulley sheared off leaving no way to remove it. However.....lol....a cut-off tool and some patience.....it is now removed...so I can remove the three bolts holding the pump on.....to get the bracket off....which captures the exhaust stud......WOW.
Anyone ever have to go through all of that? I worked on EA-6B Prowlers for 18 years in the Navy.....and things are built around other things quite often....I started looking for Grumman stickers on this thing......
Now...I need to find the kit that takes up the space so my JBA headers can be bolted on (on that front bolt hole with holds that brace) Anyone have a link or info on that? Thanks in advance......
Old 08-24-2014, 09:12 PM   #2
Mr.Chevy4x4

Re: 1990 Burb power steering pulley death match

I fought this same battle today but fortunately my pulley came off as it should. I put headers on a truck with the same serpentine setup a while back. I just determined the space difference between the factory manifold and the header flange. I then cut a spacer from a piece of thick wall tubing and used a longer bolt to cinch it down. Worked like a champ and I never lost a header gasket.

Mike
Old 08-24-2014, 09:54 PM   #3
Patch

Thanks.....I might give that a try if I cant find a pre-made. Here's what left of that pulley.....wasn't even corroded on the shaft....I dunno...but it's off now. I pulled the pulled and pump off of the 91 yesterday as well.....that damn pulley came off very easy with the puller......ggggrrrrrr.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2014, 07:10 PM   #4
bdiamond

Did you use a stud in the end of the puller or crank it down against the shaft? I didn't use a stud once and ruined a puller.
bdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:57 PM   #5
Patch

I would have but the pin that came with it did not fit in the hole....so I used a flat washer and a ball-bearing in the snout........bad idea! I salvaged the puller....but that pulley is a goner....lol.