The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2007, 12:26 PM   #1
Blazester

Re: Hard tonneau cover for Blazer?

GAYLORDS LIDS has IN STOCK lids for the P/U's of our years !!! THEY HAVE A OPTION CALLED:"TOOL BOX LID" where they shorten the lid to YOUR specs and then REINFORCE IT for the mounting brackets. All you have to do is get them measurements for how much you want them to shorten it. You decide whether you want it to go all the way to the seat backs or whatever. I left about ten inches so that I can install a mini-soft-top for those times when I encounter rain, I had them SAVE the section they cut-off for a custom filler piece that fills that space and "surrounds" the seat-backs. The custom made lid comes unpainted and I believe IT COSTS ABOUT $1200-1500. YOU have choices to make about the HINGES you want to use. Their X-2000 hinge is the best , but, it requires you to mount it to the bed=side rails which means modifying your decorative side trim panels. I chose the old style QR hinges and mounted the to a fabricated "bulk-head" which I made from "load-bars".
When I reinstall the full-size hardtop in the winter there is no noticable trace of modifications to my sidepanels. I used to be a retailer for these GAYLORD LIDS a few years back and ordered directly from them. IF you want to go this route and can't find a dealer to work with you, I MIGHT still be able to order one for you guys and have it shipped directly to you from Gaylords. I will try to attach some pics , but I know I have limited pics of just the lid.
Hope this helps,
Blazester Dave
Attached Images

Blazester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:44 PM   #2
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazester View Post
GAYLORDS LIDS has IN STOCK lids for the P/U's of our years !!! THEY HAVE A OPTION CALLED:"TOOL BOX LID" where they shorten the lid to YOUR specs and then REINFORCE IT for the mounting brackets. All you have to do is get them measurements for how much you want them to shorten it. You decide whether you want it to go all the way to the seat backs or whatever. I left about ten inches so that I can install a mini-soft-top for those times when I encounter rain, I had them SAVE the section they cut-off for a custom filler piece that fills that space and "surrounds" the seat-backs. The custom made lid comes unpainted and I believe IT COSTS ABOUT $1200-1500. YOU have choices to make about the HINGES you want to use. Their X-2000 hinge is the best , but, it requires you to mount it to the bed=side rails which means modifying your decorative side trim panels. I chose the old style QR hinges and mounted the to a fabricated "bulk-head" which I made from "load-bars".
When I reinstall the full-size hardtop in the winter there is no noticable trace of modifications to my sidepanels. I used to be a retailer for these GAYLORD LIDS a few years back and ordered directly from them. IF you want to go this route and can't find a dealer to work with you, I MIGHT still be able to order one for you guys and have it shipped directly to you from Gaylords. I will try to attach some pics , but I know I have limited pics of just the lid.
Hope this helps,
Blazester Dave
Do you have a pic of what the front looks like? I would like to see how it looks after they cut it and how you have it mounted. Thanks for all the info.
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:01 PM   #3
Blazester

jkade requested some more pics showing the front "filler" section that cradles the seat backs and the fabricated "bulk head" that supports the weight of the lid when it is open. I still need to fine-tune the appearance better of the "load bars" that I used. 95 % of the time they don't show , so I "went on to the next project" , and left them unfinished
When Gaylords shortened the stock pick-up lid to my specs it left about 18" or so of the leading edge for me to use, to fill the space I left open for the mini-softtop. Its VERY IMPORTANT if anybody choses to go with Gaylords to have them save this for you !!! They normally recycle this and it doesn't ship with the modified lid.
That leading edge comes with a finished-off "turned-down" lip , which is nice......but the majority of it gets trimmed off to make a cut-out area for the seatbacks.
Gaylords also strenghtened the filler-piece from underneath but I didn't give them detailed enough information and I ended-up NOT USING "that" section as it was trimmed down to aprx. 10".
I hope this info helps to answer most of you questions.......
Blazester Dave
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2007, 08:10 PM   #4
jkade

Thanx for the pics that helps me a lot. That bar doesn't look that bad to me besides you can't see it when everything is on
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
Blazester

Here's one more pic from underside/inside...........
And yes those load bars are normally out-of-sight.....but, the least I could do is paint them black to hide them even better !!!
Blazester
Attached Images