The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2019, 10:49 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

If you decide to ship ....

Ive read it a million times on the board ... No Shipping. And Ive read a million times ... If you decide to ship. Wonder how often the seller Decides to ship?
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:14 PM   #2
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: If you decide to ship ....

You've had quite a bit of time on your hands lately, eh Mark?

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:09 AM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Lol, too many musings?
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:45 AM   #4
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

There have been a handful of times here that I was interested in an item but seller said no shipping so i did not bother. Someone else popped in and made the comment and it seemed like it sold pretty quick after that. I have never had any luck with it the few times I have posted it. lol
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:05 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

I see people ask for shipping quotes without any acknowledgement of the seller stating no shipping. The world is about what these people want to them, same as "Wanna sell it?" as if the owner didn't know there are for sale signs available.

I like seeing a listing where the seller states "No shipping" and they simply ignore those wanting the item shipped. Where I come from the seller sets the terms of their sale. Funny thing is, most times an item is only offered local is because the shipping cost would render the item overpriced, or seller can not conveniently or in a timely manner get to a place to ship. Usually when they go ahead and change their mind the buyer backs out when they get the shipping quote or complain when the part isn't shipped promptly... DUH?? So after muddying up the for sale thread it's back to square 1.

There was a member in CA selling a Harbour utility body I really wanted bad. Same color and patina as my '72. He didn't have a no shipping restriction, I am a seasoned buyer familiar with the situation at hand, and was even willing to fly out to handle the shipping arrangements. It was offered at hundreds of dollars, new ones cost thousands, and these are west coast-only style for my west coast truck. He totally ignored me, even ignored my PMs. Then, months later he brings it to the top, I see it days later drifted back 3 or 4 pages (I had been out of town). I respond again asking him to PM. He didn't PM so I PMed him, telling him I would come take care of things at his end, and pay in full for it right away. Ignored. The next day, because I had brought it back to page 1 with my post, I see the thread at the top with someone local saying they'd take it. BTW, I had posted "I'll take it, please PM". If an item is only offered for local pick up, please state so in the listing!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:52 AM   #6
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I respond again asking him to PM. He didn't PM so I PMed him, telling him I would come take care of things at his end, and pay in full for it right away. Ignored.
That is ridiculous. If a buyer such as yourself is willing to handle all the shipping and pay, why should the seller care. It's handled. And it's just downright rude not to respond.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:15 PM   #7
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Mostly because everyone wants you to ship something until you tell them it's going to cost $30-40, or even up to $80-100. Shipping items without a big business account has gotten pricey.

I was trying to get rid of a super nice jump seat out of my 00 Z71 (when I traded it in I put the original console back in). I had to use free shipping to entice people. I put it up for $160 on fleabay (it was listed here too with no takers) thinking I would lose about $80 after fees and shipping. Oh hells no. Of course someone from California bought it, and no matter how small I tried to make the box, it was like 4" over that combined L W formula the shippers use to consider something oversized... Long story short, shipping was $105. After ebay and paypal fees I made like $35-40 for my time. I originally paid $350 in 2004 when those jump seats were "the hot ticket."
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 03-14-2019 at 12:21 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:43 PM   #8
leddzepp

There’s an ad right now where the seller has stated he has NO time or desire to ship...the post right after that says “if you decide to ship...”

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:12 PM   #9
special-K
Special Order

"If you find the time or desire to ship..."

It does seem somewhat ridiculous to use the >>WORLD WIDE WEB<< to list a part you part you want to sell locally. Pretty contradictory. Maybe just put signs on posts around the neighborhood . You want the benefit of a method that reaches a broad base of potential buyers, so you should be willing to sell to a broad base of potential buyers. There are local means of advertising. Craigslist was intended as a place to list items for sale locally, but because it's on the internet you have people buying from all over. When I list items on there I expect to be selling to someone local who comes over to buy that thing. I have only ever sold one vehicle to someone from out of state on there, and it was still the same. He came and bought it from here.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 03-14-2019, 09:23 PM   #10
flashed

I have lost many sales over the years because shipping was high and people on here wanted me to eat the shipping cost which would mean losing money . A good example was a perfect 74 chevy Truck grill .It was priced at $100 and shipping was going to be $35 more and the buyer backed out . I unboxed it and hung it on my wall and display my Hotwheels on it now .The same guy later wants to buy and agrees to the shipping charge and I wont sell it to him as Im using it by then and I had already thrown away the box I had made for it .It takes time to make a box , drive to town for a shipping quote ,just to be told shipping is too much so I try not to ship .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:00 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Some people are stupid. They see a part they want half way across the country for $100 and expect that to be the cost with no consideration for the expense of shipping. So when they hear the shipping cost they want to seller to absorb it so they can stay at or near the asking price. Hello! Now the seller isn't getting their asking price... key words here! It costs $25 to Express Mail a dang letter! The cheapest flat rate cost is about $10. How can anyone expect, no matter what the part, weight, or value, anything that doesn't fit in a mailbox to not have a shipping price to consider? Sorry, but that's just stupid. I am buying a $20 part from a member about an hour away, and as we speak am waiting for the shipping quote. I'm sure it will be less than the gas for me to go pick it up.

Years ago, we had a member here who wanted to liquidate all of his used parts. He had a thread "giving away" the parts. If he had it you could have it for "free"... if you lived close by! It had been a couple weeks, I didn't think I really needed anything, was actually trying to reduce my stash, so never looked at the thread. I have my ground-up '67 project I'm building from my parts stash. Well, that's all the major parts. I don't have a parts truck for all the incidentals, so I thought I'd make the 120 mile run down to see what he had. I get there and ask if he's been getting rid of much and he says "Not a thing. I've boxed up a lot of parts, given the shipping quotes, then heard nothing from quite a few". What BS? You request a dozen pieces of metal, put the guy through boxing and getting a quote, and you don't expect a heavy box of free parts to cost anything? He had parts spread out on the ground in front of his shed so you could walk in a narrow isle in the shed. We're talkin' cornecopia here! I didn't need much but I hated to see the parts sprawled out on the ground. So I offered to start with loading all that up, no cherry pickin', if he didn't mind. He said it was all going for junk if it didn't disappear soon and I remember saying "Let me see what I can do before I'm the one scrapping it". Gas was $3 a gallon, cost $60 a trip, I was broke in the middle of the great recession, but I made three trips down for truck loads... cost $180.

Tim

Old 03-15-2019, 08:34 AM   #12
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I've almost completed the 2nd biggest clean out of my garage. The last one a few years ago i probably made a grand or so selling parts on here and ebay (it was stuff I bought and never used, etc, so really, I ended up losing like $500 too...). What I learned from that was unless the part is worth over $20 and is small, it's literally not worth my time to box it up and ship it to sell. Even a $40 sale usually only nets $20-25 unless you get local with a local buyer.

I got lucky with my extra Mustang parts, a local guy was doing a "make it a driver" build on a 65 that was missing a lot of trim, emblems, etc and he picked up all the old stuff I replaced on my car., and the ugly set of 14" wheels I took off of it.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #13
A1971Blazer

Not truck parts but a similar story...a good friend of mine, his dad and I set up a sawmill years ago.
the slab pile was getting out of control so his dad put a sign by the pile...close to the road...that said "free slabs...all you want"
Not a single person stopped for slabs
So...he made another sign..."slabs...$5.00 a pickup load"
within a few short days...they were all gone
never made any sense to me ?

for trucks..I made a deal with a guy on facebook for an NOS pair of door handles...
he agreed then crawfished on the deal claiming...."he was not able to ship"..
I was more than willing to pay the shipping...
how difficult, in today's world, would it be to ship a pair of door handles? SMH
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:33 AM   #14
Red71gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1971Blazer View Post
Not truck parts but a similar story...a good friend of mine, his dad and I set up a sawmill years ago.
the slab pile was getting out of control so his dad put a sign by the pile...close to the road...that said "free slabs...all you want"
Not a single person stopped for slabs
So...he made another sign..."slabs...$5.00 a pickup load"
within a few short days...they were all gone
never made any sense to me ?

for trucks..I made a deal with a guy on facebook for an NOS pair of door handles...
he agreed then crawfished on the deal claiming...."he was not able to ship"..
I was more than willing to pay the shipping...
how difficult, in today's world, would it be to ship a pair of door handles? SMH

Yep. Have a friend that put a free sign on a bent up trampoline that tumbled in the wind, no takers. A guy told him to put $50 on it. He did and it was sold the same day.
Red71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:23 AM   #15
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red71gmc View Post
Yep. Have a friend that put a free sign on a bent up trampoline that tumbled in the wind, no takers. A guy told him to put $50 on it. He did and it was sold the same day.
I have the same kind of story,

A guy I worked with put his old Catapiller out at the end of his drive way for sale and it sit there for 6 months ,,not one taker.. then his dad told him to put a much higher price on it and it sold 2 days later..
Old 03-15-2019, 03:05 PM   #16
mrtoni

What a timely thread! I am going thru this right now. I have several oversized items that I’ve had for sale. Brush guards, sidewinder winches, bumpers etc. mostly my fault because I’m accommodating and say I will ship on your dime.

So shipping has like doubled in the last decade. A brushguard is 30-50lbs and I have to disassemble and run around to find cheapest shipper? The online estimators are garbage. To ship a brushguard unpackaged is addl $10.

Shipping a sidewinder is a pain as they weigh 120lbs plus brackets. Everyone says fastenal but I think they suck. $300 bucks for like 700 miles and must be palletized and crated?

I’ve actually considered delivering for slightly reduced price. See the country.
mrtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:06 PM   #17
mrtoni

Oh, I forgot. I hate the guys who send a deposit and then never show up to pay balance and pick up item. Do I resell it or wait?
mrtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:08 PM   #18
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtoni View Post
Oh, I forgot. I hate the guys who send a deposit and then never show up to pay balance and pick up item. Do I resell it or wait?
Yep. First attempt to communicate and give a deadline. A deposit is forfeited once the buyer steps outside of the terms of the sale. The deposit initiates the sale. Not following through terminates it. Seller keeps deposit for the sale being loused up, tied up, possibly others turned away, whatever. A deposit is a "commitment". Backing out of a sale is backing out of a commitment. The penalty is forfeit the deposit.

Tim