The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2019, 10:01 AM   #1
blazer2007

what headliner glue for Canadians ?

I,m going to do my headliner in my truck but they won,t sell the DAP landeau stuff in Can. What have others used ,no spray bomb stuff ,doesn,t work. Only one upholstery shop here in town but he is a real A hole and I won,t go back
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:44 AM   #2
suville

Re: what headliner glue for Canadians ?

??
suville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:31 PM   #3
75C10

I have been through this headliner ordeal a couple of times on different trucks. I have a upholsterer friend that recovered mine and they have held up well. I was advised to not use the spray bomb adhesive nor reuse the old headliner. Both of mine were done with new material and sprayed with real upholstery adhesive. And if the headliner substrate is too beat up you may be best to look for a better one. I paid $200 for each. If you do it yourself and the headliner falls down again you won't be happy. Headliners are easily damaged if not very carefully removed. They almost always disintegrate around the visor holes. 3M makes a spray adhesive that shouldn't be hard to find if you must do it yourself. Or find a shop in Kelowna that can do the work if your local guy is difficult.
75C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:49 PM   #4
MikeG.

I've used the 3M Super Trim Adhesive spray and done eight headliners all are holding well. One is four years old.
MikeG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:55 PM   #5
75C10

Mike,
Did you reuse your old headliner?
75C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:11 PM   #6
TKCR

It is best to use new material. When a headliner falls, it has separated from the foam backing. So it is not worth reusing. I have used this stuff on 3 headliners now, and all are still holding up just fine.
Attached Images

Last edited by TKCR; 03-21-2019 at 06:20 PM.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:55 PM   #7
blazer2007

no I,m not reusing the old headliner and I don,t want a spray bomb adhesive and I,m doing it myself, but want to know what others are using. Lepages comes in different types. I did try some spray adhesive on something else in the truck and it failed . We go from pretty cold to very hot here .
Old 03-21-2019, 09:06 PM   #8
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer2007 View Post
no I,m not reusing the old headliner and I don,t want a spray bomb adhesive and I,m doing it myself, but want to know what others are using. Lepages comes in different types. I did try some spray adhesive on something else in the truck and it failed . We go from pretty cold to very hot here .
I have good luck with the stuff I showed. My headliner, I did over 5 years ago. They other 2, about 4 yrs ago. They are all still holding up just fine.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:17 AM   #9
blazer2007

I looked real quick and the ones I found won,t ship it to Can. I,ll try some more later
Old 03-22-2019, 10:35 AM   #10
Wgesnerjr

I once had the headliner replaced in a Caprice Station Wagon. (HUGE!) I had a buddy install the material and he used contact cement from Home Depot. Might want to check out a local hardware store.
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:58 PM   #11
TKCR

This place will ship to Canada. It has the Hi-Temp and the MC12 is good stuff too. I have used this to bond foam together. But I would still say the Hi-Temp is your best bet for the headliner.
https://www.miamicorp.com/customer/m...Canada_Web.jpg
https://www.miamicorp.com/products/A...NES/SPRAY.aspx
Old 03-23-2019, 09:29 AM   #12
blazer2007

thanks I,ll check it out.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:05 PM   #13
stanski

First, is the substrate is clean and non-porous? If its dry and flaky seal it with any type of paint, even latex, thin it down and brush it in so it soaks into the dry cardboard. The best adhesive for Canadian conditions is the LePage you apply with a brush. This is easy to apply to the cardboard, but difficult to brush onto the foam and if not evenly applied the headliner will turn out lumpy. If covering with vinyl the brush-on works fine. Last few I did were the foam backed headliner material so I used a brush on the cardboard side and spray on the foam.
Most failures occur because the contact cement soaks into the substrate, that's why you need to seal the surface before anything.
stanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:56 AM   #14
blazer2007

I don,t know if is porous or not is from a 84 model and is orange colored with about 4 layers of I don,t know what. I will get a pic later. When you said paint the headliner board with paint just any house brush on paint or spray paint ? I think I will use vinyl for the material if is easier
Old 03-27-2019, 12:10 PM   #15
TKCR

Quote:
I don,t know if is porous or not is from a 84 model and is orange colored with about 4 layers of I don,t know what. I will get a pic later. When you said paint the headliner board with paint just any house brush on paint or spray paint ? I think I will use vinyl for the material if is easier
The best thing to do, is look up some How-To-Videos on recovering headliners. This is how I learned how to do them.
Update. Here’s a video: https://youtu.be/f91Ht0J45jc

Last edited by TKCR; 03-27-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:31 AM   #16
stanski

Quote:
Use any type of paint, but thin it down and brush it in, I have used oil paint because it dries slower so it likely soaks in better.
stanski is offline   Reply With Quote