The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2018, 09:58 PM   #2151
MARTINSR

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

That wood is beautiful! I have always liked the idea of the wood in the bed finished off nice, it's like furniture.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:15 PM   #2152
Black_Sheep

The dash looks killer!
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:28 PM   #2153
idbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
You get a "Like" from me! Awesome color!
Thanks MiralePieCo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
I'm good with that !!
Thanks DransportGarage

Quote:
Cherry? That's some awesome stuff !!!
It's from a Civil War era tree, but I don't know what it actually is!

Thanks Brian and Mark, It's starting to feel like I'm making progress again!!!
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:02 AM   #2154
MARTINSR

I haven't wanted to work to get re-use the sand I am using when sand blasting, just figured not a big deal. Well, now I have a LOT of sand out behind the garage, so I swept some up and figured I would strain it and re-use it. Got some coarse screen and that is looking pretty good. There was a brace on the rear of the fender where it bolts to the cab that seemed loose, but ok, I guess that's how it was made, NO. Luckily I took at another look at that, and sure enough a row of spot welds broke. Bob Silverton, the guy who welded the brace in at the factory June 5th 1948 must have came to work drunk. Anyway I drilled out the top layer to plug weld it back.

Gas welded another small area at the other end where some cracks were and headed off to relax. So after I welded, ground metal, drilled holes, I walked into the house and fell over while pulling my pants off hitting my tail bone on the door striker in the wash room cutting an inch and a half slice in my back! Nurse Melanie took care of it, I am wondering how this will be tonight trying to sleep.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2018, 09:34 AM   #2155
nvrdone

damn that hurts just hearing about it!! take care.

Last edited by nvrdone; 10-23-2018 at 09:35 AM. Reason: spelling
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:56 AM   #2156
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
damn that hurts just hearing about it!! take care.
Thanks, I am AMAZED at how little it hurt and I actually got a darn nice nights sleep. WHOOOO HOOOOO!

Brian

Old 10-23-2018, 05:29 PM   #2157
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Thanks, I am AMAZED at how little it hurt and I actually got a darn nice nights sleep. WHOOOO HOOOOO!

Brian
More importantly, did nurse Melanie show up after you were pulling your pants... never mind. I won't even ask if she got a darn nice night's...
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:01 PM   #2158
mikebte

Quote:
I walked into the house and fell over while pulling my pants off hitting my tail bone on the door striker in the wash room cutting an inch and a half slice in my back!
Brian
I got a pretty good laugh at your expense. Good to hear your ok.

mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:20 AM   #2159
MARTINSR

The first game of the Red Sox-Dodgers World Series was tonight (GOOO RED SOX!) so how much work could I possibly get done on the truck? Well, I got some more rust cleaned up in the fender and it's looking good. I will be sand blasting it tomorrow I hope.

Brian

Old 10-24-2018, 03:21 PM   #2160
evilokc

ive been driving my truck a lot lately and a couple of days ago I noticed what felt like a slight wobble in the front. upon searching the new fan has a slight wobble that It didn't before. I went to retighten the bolts and found on that's stripped. I plan to go get a slightly longer bolt and put a nylock nut on the back. hoping to get my hood back on today as well. its a cold rainy day today though and motivation is lacking..
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:44 PM   #2161
mikebte

Went for a drive and had morning sun in my face. I quickly realized I could not see anything, My glass has lots of pits and wiper scratches as its a very old window with lots of road time. So I called a local glass guy who had the glass for $100. And get this, they brought it to me for free. That is good customer service.
Also noticed I get a engine miss when driving down the Hwy for excessive amounts of time and goes away once it cools down. May have a plug failing. Parked the truck until I have more time to diagnose.

Last edited by mikebte; 10-24-2018 at 03:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-24-2018, 10:04 PM   #2162
evilokc

ive been in Tennessee building a motor for my brothers 67 mustang for a week. got back last night. today I had the truck out for about 40 miles of around town driving. I noticed that the new fan had some wobble. turned out one of the bolt holes on the water pump was stripped. it caused the other three bolts to loosen up even though they had locktite on them. went and got a nylock nut and used that to secure the messed up hole and tighten everything back. drove across town to get my hood out of storage and brought that home. its sitting on there but its not bolted down. I never installed the passenger headlight after having the fender fixed. when I got my parts truck it had a couple sets of headlights and one of the sets had a different style bezel. its more eye shaped than round. I put iit on the passenger light and let shakes decide which she liked better. she liked the eye better. I sent them to my brother who also liked the eye. truck runs great.
Attached Images

evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:21 AM   #2163
MARTINSR

I got out to the garage after the Red Sox kicked butt for my five minutes, I thought five minutes max, I was really tired. Ended up getting 45 minutes in on that one fender, stripping rust and paint off the complicated areas to shinny metal.

Brian

Old 10-26-2018, 01:14 AM   #2164
MARTINSR

Got the fender sand blasted on the inside and treated with Ospho (a metal treatment to protect it) WHOOO HOOOO!, I can move onto the next one.

Brian

Old 10-26-2018, 08:23 PM   #2165
mikebte

Quote:
Got the fender sand blasted on the inside and treated with Ospho (a metal treatment to protect it) WHOOO HOOOO!, I can move onto the next one.
Brian
Even when it's done, your never done.

I replaced my windshield today in the name of safety. Took it for a drive in the direction of the sub and all was clear.
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2018, 10:15 PM   #2166
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebte View Post
Even when it's done, your never done.

I replaced my windshield today in the name of safety. Took it for a drive in the direction of the sub and all was clear.
Those are a bugger! Little story LOL

I had just opened my shop in 1982 and I got this truck to chop, a 1956 Chevy. Ok, someone had started and screwed it up so I gave him a price (FIRST MISTAKE) and ended up making about $300 on the job, being it took me AT LEAST 300 hours, I didn't make a whole lot. LOL
Ok, I chopped the top totally finishing it to primer. THEN I went to have the glass cut, BIG MISTAKE! The glass guy called me after he broke the second NEW windshield! I found someone locally who has chopped a few and he walked me through how to correct the problem. I did so changing the shape of the corners on the roof (the trick being you cut the glass THEN you modify the top to fit the glass! Or make a pattern out of fiberglass of the windshield like I did) and I had the glass cut for it.

This piece of the door that I cut off during the top chop hung in my office at the shop. When someone had something like that for me to do I could look up at that piece and say "NO" without missing heart beat. LOL

Brian
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2018, 10:18 PM   #2167
DransportGarage

Quote:

I had just opened my shop in 1982 and I got this truck to chop, a 1956 Chevy. Ok, someone had started and screwed it up so I gave him a price (FIRST MISTAKE) and ended up making about $300 on the job, being it took me AT LEAST 300 hours, I didn't make a whole lot. LOL
Ok, I chopped the top totally finishing it to primer. THEN I went to have the glass cut, BIG MISTAKE! The glass guy called me after he broke the second NEW windshield! I found someone locally who has chopped a few and he walked me through how to correct the problem. I did so changing the shape of the corners on the roof (the trick being you cut the glass THEN you modify the top to fit the glass! Or make a pattern out of fiberglass of the windshield like I did) and I had the glass cut for it.

This piece of the door that I cut off during the top chop hung in my office at the shop. When someone had something like that for me to do I could look up at that piece and say "NO" without missing heart beat. LOL

Brian
That's HILARIOUS !! I was going to chop mine and my friend, who owns a body shop, said NOOOOOO !!!!! Don't do it !!
Old 10-26-2018, 10:24 PM   #2168
MARTINSR

Quote:
That's HILARIOUS !! I was going to chop mine and my friend, who owns a body shop, said NOOOOOO !!!!! Don't do it !!
Yeah, no kidding, I got something like $1500 for the job, I bought all the glass, THREE windshields and bought TWO tops to replace the hacked up one.

Yep, I learned a lot though. LOL

Brian

Old 10-27-2018, 12:00 AM   #2169
mikebte

Quote:

Brian
Haha, good story. Funny, I was thinking to myself during install "I bet Brian would have some story to with this". You have some good knowledge.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:21 AM   #2170
MARTINSR

Ok, waited and waited for this game to end and gave up going out to the garage at 9:45! I was out there getting something done when Melanie came out to tell me she could here the tool I was using in our house! That is not good, I don't want to do that to the neighbors! She said it sounded like a motorcycle was spinning donuts in the back yard! Well, I at least I got something done! The underseal that was sprayed in that fender did save it from rust, but took me a bunch of time to scrape out. That's the original green paint in there that was sprayed at the factory 70 years ago by a man feeding his family. The mind blower is I came back in, took a show and am now watching the bottom of the 14th inning! It's the longest game in World Series history by time right now. It's the longest by innings at 15.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2018, 11:17 AM   #2171
MARTINSR

Before I even went out there my "five minutes" were spent on the phone and at the computer with my brother who was picking up my parts I got from Jay up in Grass Valley. Got my stainless window frames, fender aprons and parking brake parts coming, WHOO HOOOOO!

Brian

Old 10-27-2018, 02:21 PM   #2172
Black_Sheep

Cleaning up the truck while waiting for the roads to dry...
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2018, 03:11 PM   #2173
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
Cleaning up the truck while waiting for the roads to dry...
Black_Sheep, you're not allowed to get your truck any cleaner. Like it or not, life is a competition, and your cleaning gives the rest of us an unfair disadvantage...
Old 10-27-2018, 03:14 PM   #2174
MARTINSR

Quote:
Black_Sheep, you're not allowed to get your truck any cleaner. Like it or not, life is a competition, and your cleaning gives the rest of us an unfair disadvantage...
How about parked in that spotlessly clean garage, I want to punch him!

Brian

Old 10-27-2018, 04:20 PM   #2175
Black_Sheep

Quote:
How about parked in that spotlessly clean garage, I want to punch him!

Brian
A buddy from Michigan is coming to Minnesota to pick up a car, he’ll be stopping over later to see the truck as long as he’s in town. I want to make sure it’s standing tall when Jim sees it finished for the first time. It was in a thousand pieces when he was here last spring.

It looks like I need to change the valve cover gaskets, the right side is leaking pretty good. This time I’m going to use cork...