The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
66skylarkpost

wet sanding and buffing acrylic enamel ? help me

im in a learning process of painting my silverado . i m using napa/martin senour single stage enamel . im learning as i go ,and painting it in pieces. took the box off and hood off . box first and then the hood , then the front . my box and tailgate are done , but on the box theres a few hazy spots . the textures looks good , just a dry surface . how do i go about getting it to look better with out respraying ? it got a lot of gold in it , where i dont want to sand it out .do i lightly wet sand with 1500 and buff ? with what compounds and what speed ? or can i just clean it with buffing , of what compond ? i 'd be hitting our local napa again , so i'm sure they should have something .thanks
'70 k-10 longbox- mid 70's drivetrain 350/350 487x heads 10.1:1 flowmasters ,35's 3.73's auburn posi ,rear shackle flip. '72 short stepside U.S. forestry truck, '73 455 buick,400 turbo,dropped 2"-4 1/4" ,3.07 posi,:'89 silverado 1500 ,OK truck ,5.7 holley tbi ,trick 700r4 3.07 auburn posi ,and my '66 skylark ,'73 centurion and my '84 monte carlo imca stock car

Last edited by 66skylarkpost; 11-04-2007 at 08:20 PM.
66skylarkpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:44 AM   #2
ont_guy_38

Re: wet sanding and buffing acrylic enamel ? help me

You say there is a lot of gold in it so I,m guessing you mean metallic in the paint,thats makes it very touchy to buff without a clear coat,any wet sanding at all will cut into the metallic and you will have a big mess.If it is just a little hazy I would get some 3M finesse compound and very lightly try buffing it out,That might make it passable but hard to say without seeing it. Hope it turns out for you
ont_guy_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
hdflstf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ont_guy_38 View Post
You say there is a lot of gold in it so I,m guessing you mean metallic in the paint,thats makes it very touchy to buff without a clear coat,any wet sanding at all will cut into the metallic and you will have a big mess.If it is just a little hazy I would get some 3M finesse compound and very lightly try buffing it out,That might make it passable but hard to say without seeing it. Hope it turns out for you
What he said. Start with that. If you want to wet sand, try a place you can't see first and go with 2000, lots of water and make sure everything is meticulously clean. I expect you'll have a different gold color at the place you tried color sanding. Ideally, you'd want a couple of coats of clear (with nothing else in it) on top so you can color sand without any issues.
hdflstf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:32 AM   #4
66skylarkpost

i hope to find and easy way out . this truck was painted years ago and was full of scratches and marks , then i got rear ended in may made a mess , b piller replacement , lower rear box section , not to mention the changing of the frames . so it already looks alot better than before , im got to happy . now this is my first painting with a hvlp , doin it in my garage , have plenty of lighting and ventilation .when i first painted then box , i got cramped near the wall and put a run the left side . i wet sanded it out, scuffed the entire and sprayed it again . it looks ok , but soem hazed spots . i also scuffed and resprayed the right side . thats the side i'm worried about . ive since paitned the filler door and tailgate and the turned out much better . i'm new here at this, learnign at what to do as i go . atleast the rest will look better , i hope . the paint is napa/martin senour w8815 1988-89 chevy truck m garnet red ( burgandy ) it has alot of gold in it . looks pretty in the sun . i'll run to napa here this afternoon and get something . i painted the box around ten days ago and its still on a stand . i'll get some pics
'70 k-10 longbox- mid 70's drivetrain 350/350 487x heads 10.1:1 flowmasters ,35's 3.73's auburn posi ,rear shackle flip. '72 short stepside U.S. forestry truck, '73 455 buick,400 turbo,dropped 2"-4 1/4" ,3.07 posi,:'89 silverado 1500 ,OK truck ,5.7 holley tbi ,trick 700r4 3.07 auburn posi ,and my '66 skylark ,'73 centurion and my '84 monte carlo imca stock car
Old 11-06-2007, 06:32 PM   #5
ont_guy_38

Being garnet red you might get away with a little more buffing before you notice the metallic screwing up.If you cant get it the way you want it to look just drive it for awhile and someday scuff it off and shoot it with base/clear.If all you have to do is spray over what you have then you could get away with a just a couple of coats of base since it is all one colour now.`The base is almost impossible to screw up and if you do get the clear a little dry you can buff it up without any problems.In the long run B/C pays for itself because you will never repaint because of fading and it makes matching alot easier incase you have to do any touch ups later on.Something to think about anyways
Old 11-07-2007, 11:45 AM   #6
Kevin45

You can buff the AE but I would wait at a minimum of 30 days before you do it. Also you did not mention whether or not you had hardener in it. AE does not cure out fast like BC/CC. If you buff too soon and too aggressively you can imbed compound into the paint.

Kevin
Old 11-07-2007, 12:02 PM   #7
66skylarkpost

its was painted about 2 weeks ago . yes i has hardner . it was mixed 8 parts paint , 4 parts reducer with one part hardener
Old 11-07-2007, 06:55 PM   #8
ont_guy_38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin45 View Post
You can buff the AE but I would wait at a minimum of 30 days before you do it.
You can buff A/E yes but when it is metallic you run the risk of cutting into the metallic and if that happens you will not be happy with the results
Old 11-08-2007, 05:30 AM   #9
impala_631
:( BYEBYE :(

single stage metalics cannot be wetsanded!!!!
impala_631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:24 AM   #10
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala_631 View Post
WHAT HE SAID!

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:01 PM   #11
chip46wis

I have wet sanded and buffed single stages for years---make sure its dried completly-depends on temp and humidity.Start with 1000 lightly go to 1500 and try it. Get the advice of a paint and body supply house for compounds and buff wheels.
chip46wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:14 PM   #12
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Oh, it can.................but, DON'T DO IT, you will not like the result. You will sand into the metallic an the whole thing will look speckled. You are taking the color off of the top, the bigger the metallic, the worse it looks. It has the effect of looking smeared/streaked.

If your final coat was dry, you may already have somewhat of a blotchy look. Are you sure that texture is your only problem? On a hood, I would re-shoot it, you wont be happy with it if you don't.

You might take a chance on it, but be prepared to re-shoot it.

If I sound "all over the place", it's because this is so hard to do w/o seeing it. In general sanding SS metallics is a no-no, but if you don't like the way it is now...What have you got to lose? Tread lightly and rub it out. Then you know exactly where you stand. If you don't like it, you have lost nothing but time..... and gained plenty of experience, but be prepared to re-shoot it.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:30 PM   #13
66skylarkpost

i been seriously considering reshooting that side of the box . theres a couple sanding scratches that popped out , and it will be cheaper to reshoot .i dont want that box side to look weird , the paint is cool with the gold .the rest so far looks nice . its outside next to the garage now ,i will have to deal with dust and possibly bugs but i think it would still look better . anyways ,i painted my 66 skylark about 8 years ago with a centari but its a solid color , im intersted in getting some of that finesse II and try it on that .
Old 11-08-2007, 11:14 PM   #14
impala_631

respray it or scuff it and hit the enitre truck with some acrlic clear coat then you can use that to cut and buff on
Old 11-08-2007, 11:20 PM   #15
impala_631

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
Oh, it can.................but, DON'T DO IT, you will not like the result. You will sand into the metallic an the whole thing will look speckled. You are taking the color off of the top, the bigger the metallic, the worse it looks. It has the effect of looking smeared/streaked.

If your final coat was dry, you may already have somewhat of a blotchy look. Are you sure that texture is your only problem? On a hood, I would re-shoot it, you wont be happy with it if you don't.

You might take a chance on it, but be prepared to re-shoot it.

If I sound "all over the place", it's because this is so hard to do w/o seeing it. In general sanding SS metallics is a no-no, but if you don't like the way it is now...What have you got to lose? Tread lightly and rub it out. Then you know exactly where you stand. If you don't like it, you have lost nothing but time..... and gained plenty of experience, but be prepared to re-shoot it.
ok, maybe i should re word it,
you do not want to wetsand ss metalics, i know you can, you can do anything to it, you could run a key down it but that is something you do not want to do because you will not like the results, so i guess you can cut the ss metallic but it will look like garbage, it even says not to do it in the tech sheets