The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 73-87

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 01:47 PM   #1
ozrulzk5
What can I do next ????

heat motor update (more air flow)

Here you go guys and girls. for all us chevy owners that are plagued with the ac and heat blower motor that just don't blow hard enough. After many trips to the junk yard and trial and error over the last few months, I have found that a 94 xtd cab blower motor and swirl cage puts out a lot of air flow, twice as much as our stock ones. plus the motor and cage fits properly so no mods needed other than the ground. (has flat male connector that can be removed for the ones with ring terminals) its the one under the glove box (94) Thought I would share with everybody. I have not searched all years carring this unit so good luck and I hope this works for all of you also.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:04 PM   #2
mhicks

What year can you do this in?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:57 PM   #3
JustOneTruck

Just to let you know also .If you guys have a 84 or 85 .With low heat .I found that that the solid wire from the heater control to the heater box is to short well in my cases they were .Took the glove box and opened it all the way to see cable not shuting the flap all they way . So what happen was the blower was sucking air from out side that was cold already instead of recycling the heat from in the tuck . {mother inlaw said the truck never got warm inside } After all these years it was a short cable and with a adjustment it was like a oven in side the next year . Im thinking this may help if you have air-condtion as well during the summer time .
Old 08-01-2005, 09:41 PM   #4
ozrulzk5
What can I do next ????

like just One said

I checked all the cables and stuff and even took it all out and bench tested the doors for fit and seal talk about a b****. anyway it looks to be chevy trucks 73 to 87 and blazers from 73 to 91 the 88 and up trucks moved the blower to under the dash but I have not found one to check and see what type of motor and cage it has. just lucked up on a 94 that had been really gutted and just decided to take a look see. the fins on the new mod cages are farther apart and rounded a bit more than the older truck. yes I even tried to grind the fins a lil on the older mods needless to say it didnt work and vibrated like crazy. high speed on the older mods is now med speed for the different cage and motor. like a got a super high now. just got aggrivated that the newer cars have more vents and hight will blow the hair off your head. trying to cool a full size blazer on a hot day is really hard. Gonna start tinkering around with resistor banks and see if I can come up with a lil more
or smoke, what ever comes first. ill keep an update here as I find more. just like the title what can I do next???
Old 03-05-2007, 07:45 PM   #5
ERASER5

Re: heat motor update(more air flow)

Just to add my two cents. The '94 blower is the same extended cab or not. BUT it will only fit 67-72's with AC. The blower wheel is too deep for us heater only guys.

I just replaced my blower motor last week, so while I still remember the numbers, a PM-102 at AutoZone is an exact replcement. But the computer call for a differant part # which of couse they did not have. So we looked up several motor numbers and pulled them all and physically compared them. The PM-102 is the winner and it is only $19.99. Use your old blower wheel. Best of all, the motor spins faster! It pulls more current too. The 10 amp fuse that has been there for 10 years blew in about 30 seconds. Good thing the correct fuse is a 25 amp. All's good and warm now! And quiet.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:40 PM   #6
jefflong1981

Re: heat motor update (more air flow)

I just put a blower in my 81 chevy 1/2 ton from a 87 blazer and the difference was huge in air flow. My old blower was blowing fuses left and right. Replaced the blower and all is good.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:39 AM   #7
neoguri

I just got the AC system in my 76 C10 fixed. Almost an entire new system. The air has never blown strong. Does anyone have a fix for this year? i.e. blower from a newer model that will fit this year. The air is ice cold. Just doesn't blow hard enough.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:04 PM   #8
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

when my dad simply bought a new blower motor at orileys, his increased speed, like the new ones are made better.

kinda dusting off old bones eh neoguri? lol. New member its cool. Welcome to the board.

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums
Closed Thread