The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2008, 09:12 PM   #1
loader820

82 c10 wiring

new battery went dead i charge it an the next day dead.what shound i do what killing the battery
loader820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:36 PM   #2
slash crashley
lucky knuckles

Lightbulb quick fix.

i had the same problem with my 82 when i bought it. i replaced the battery and it was dead again. at first i just disconnected it all the time. that became a pain so i opted for a battery cut-off switch

advanced had one for $8-10. it works great.
slash crashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:48 PM   #3
spudz

Re: 82 c10 wiring

Just find out whats killing the battery.. Its REALLY easy on these old trucks.. Its not like new vehicles that you have to comand all the modules to sleep then test for them waking back up.. It sucks... Anywho... first thing is first... Have the battery tested.... then if its good do this...
Connect a DVM in line with the battery cable. Find out how much of a parasitic draw you actually have. IN milli amps

Note the battery reserve capacity. .

Divide this number by 4. Example: 90/4 = 22.5

Compare this to the DVM reading.

The current drain in milliamps should not exceed this number.

Example: if a battery has a reserve capacity of 90 minutes, the current drain should not exceed 22 milliamps.

Then once you know for sure you have a parasitic draw, while the DVM is still in place.. remove the fuses one by one until the exessive draw goes down to normal on the DVM.. Look at glow box lights, radio, underhood light, horn, etc..
2004 z71, 96 z71 on 38s, 88 Chevy k5 blazer, 4in lift. 84 swb project, 82 SWB project , 84 chevy 4x4 lwb project, 88 Jimmy beater/highschool ride. 79 c30. 99 tahoe 4x4 project. and a bunch of parts trucks..
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:48 PM   #4
wicked_sky_gazer
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by loader820 View Post
new battery went dead i charge it an the next day dead.what shound i do what killing the battery
I had the same problem, my truck would run fine if I jumped it but wouldn't hold a charge when it sat. I found on the driver side between the first and second exhaust tubes, was a sensor threaded in through the exhaust manifold and the wire lead to it had layed acrossed the manifold enough to melt through and cause a short, after i fixed this (elec tape and moving the wire) my problem went away. I have a friend that had the exact same problem and it was the same wire, could be a good starting place. GL

Im not to worried i have an uncaning ability to save myself from some weeeiiirrd crap
East Ok meet East Ok date

Tony
wicked_sky_gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:07 PM   #5
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Spudz nailed it. Generally the older trucks should have less than 10 MA parasitic load. Another thing to check would be the alternator. If the rectifier bridge or the diode trio fail it can draw the battery down overnight. Jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote