The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2015, 07:53 AM   #1
Mjminino

Project Christine V2.0

I have read like 6 or 7 of y'alls build threads, and I figured it was time that I made one. What sucks about mine is that I have already done like 8 months worth of work (Depends on who you ask .) and it'll be hard to recap everything I did outside of just showing you pictures.

I used to own a 64 Chevelle 4 Door and her name was Christine as well. Now I figure since this one was a truck and I know longer own the Chevelle, I could get away with naming this one Christine as well. Both were/are being brought back from the dead, just like the movie!

"George LeBay: Her name's Christine.
Arnie Cunningham: I like that.
George LeBay: My asshole brother bought her back in September '57. That's when you got your new model year, in September.
Brand-new, she was. She had the smell of a brand-new car. That's just about the finest smell in the world, 'cept maybe for P*s*y."

I found this rusty 1964 C10 short box beauty on craigslist and the guy wanted 1500 dollars for the truck originally. I didn't want the motor or transmission so we bartered and we agreed upon $500 . I thought to myself... man he was mighty fond of his ________ (can't remember what kind it was, but I do know that it wasn't anything special) motor and th400 transmission.

Front end had some sort of disk brake assembly on it. It had nasty nasty rats nests behind the gas tank. entire floor was shot.

I am sure something was done wrong or not 100% professional quality, as I am not a professional, this doesn't bug me. It isn't a 100 point Barrett Jackson restoration. Just something me and my ol' lady can go cruising in and enjoy in the summers.

Without further ado, here is Christine. Now don't bash her too hard, you might hurt her feelings!
Attached Images

Mjminino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:09 AM   #2
bj383ss

Re: Project Christine V2.0

Look forward to your build. It appears you have a door panel for a knee knocker cab. Wonder what he was going to do with that.

Bret
Old 01-05-2015, 08:10 AM   #3
Mjminino

Some more pictures. Lower pillar, kick board and rocker damage, long with some new sheet metal.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2015, 08:19 AM   #4
Mjminino

Well... After 8.5 hours, 12 beers , a pack of cigarettes and the speed channel I finally got the frame Por-15ed. I LOVE POR-15, although it takes about a month to come off of your skin. It is such an awesome product!!!

PS: Don't mind the dirty shirt, all of that is from de-greasing and metal prepping the frame.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2015, 08:20 AM   #5
Mjminino

Saved 1
Old 01-05-2015, 08:22 AM   #6
Mjminino

Saved 2
Old 01-05-2015, 08:23 AM   #7
Mjminino

Saved 3
Old 01-05-2015, 08:35 AM   #8
Mjminino

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj383ss View Post
Look forward to your build. It appears you have a door panel for a knee knocker cab. Wonder what he was going to do with that.
I swear the PO or PPO was a druggie. There was so much metal junk that came with this purchase. And a BUNCH of stuff was missing. The PO never mentioned he was going to do any sort of work to the truck. I guess it made my life easier as I didn't really have to do the 'tear down'. Down side of that is I am missing a ton of bolts and with never owning one of these trucks, I am not entirely sure how everything gets put back together. I am a pictureaholic so I would have taken a bunch of tear down pictures.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:45 AM   #9
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Welcome to the projects and builds. Looks like you have your work cut out for ya. lol Poor ol christine seems like she's been through alot.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:38 PM   #10
bj383ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjminino View Post
I swear the PO or PPO was a druggie. There was so much metal junk that came with this purchase. And a BUNCH of stuff was missing. The PO never mentioned he was going to do any sort of work to the truck. I guess it made my life easier as I didn't really have to do the 'tear down'. Down side of that is I am missing a ton of bolts and with never owning one of these trucks, I am not entirely sure how everything gets put back together. I am a pictureaholic so I would have taken a bunch of tear down pictures.
If you need teardown pictures have a look through my Flickr album 64 stepside. I took a ton and bagged and tagged everything. Bolts aren't too hard to come buy alot of the vendors sell most of the bolts. And if they dont they are mostly standard sizes you can buy at the hardware store. Be sure to ask if you cant figure something out someone on here will know how it goes or where

Bret
Old 01-05-2015, 08:58 PM   #11
Mjminino

Well apparently I can't edit my Saved posts above, oh well!

Anyways I started on the A pillar and the footwell on the drivers side
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2015, 09:07 PM   #12
Mjminino

I mocked it up and everything lined up great. Started on the B pillar, I think it turned out pretty good.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2015, 09:16 PM   #13
Mjminino

I got the center brace, floor pan and inside rocker taken care of. Since this isn't a 100 point restoration, and it is on the floor I didn't care about warping. It'll have por-15, sound/heat deadner, and carpet in the inside. Por-15 and undercoating underneath. If you want to crawl on the ground and critique me on it...more power to you!!!
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2015, 09:23 PM   #14
Mjminino

Next was onto the area above the footwell where the patch panel didn't reach.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2015, 09:27 PM   #15
Mjminino

Now onto the lower firewall area
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2015, 09:41 PM   #16
Mjminino

Pretty much rinse and repeat on the passenger side. This is my first ever in the life of me, doing a rebuild to this magnitude. Well I made a horrible mistake when doing the front cab supports. I measured, measured and measured but apparently I was wrong. I learned the absolute worst way! I welded them on without quadruple checking. They were too low. You can see in the picture how far off it was. I was sooo pissed at myself!!! So out the came, got some new ones and got the installed This time I lowered the cab onto the frame put the rear support bushings in and got it all lined up, tack welded them in and finished it out.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2015, 09:57 PM   #17
Mjminino

First time in 6 months since I have seen this view. It was liberating and exciting!!!!!!
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2015, 10:14 PM   #18
Mjminino

Next was onto the lower back area of the cab. My daughter wanted to be in the garage with me. She actually helped me put the butt weld clamps in! She probably loves this truck more then me! Got the bottom bead rolled like the factory. Only thing that sucks is I couldn't get the bead as deep as the factory which I don't think will be that big of a deal. I haven't finished up the sides because I will do that when I do the cab corners.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2015, 10:36 PM   #19
Mjminino

Now it is time for the suspension. Boy was that a damn hassle. Remember how I said that they added a later model disk brake set up??? Well apparently the spindles they used were from a nova and a Camaro. Figured that out when I Googled the casting numbers. Found a pair of 71' factory height spindles for 30 bucks!!!

Got everything cleaned and Por-15ed. And I decided to go with Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings

First time on her feet in 8 months. another big milestone. Now as spring and summer approach, I will be able to roll her outside and do the work in the driveway!
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2015, 10:42 PM   #20
Mjminino

Well before I can finish my rockers and cab corners I need to redo the bottoms of the doors, so I can properly line up the rocker. I will also acquire fenders to help with the alignment.

I had a new tenant move into my other garage stall. His rent will pay for my truck I got the lower patch panels ordered and should be here this week sometime.

PS: Like the rats nest?

PSS: PO/POO loved bondo!
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #21
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Let the fun begin.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!

[/COLOR]

I AM WE TODD IT, I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT
Strodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:24 AM   #22
Mjminino

Whatcha talking about strodder, the fun has already began
Old 01-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #23
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Then carry on. .
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!

[/COLOR]

I AM WE TODD IT, I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT
Strodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:32 PM   #24
Mjminino

Got started on disassembling the drivers door. Man I don't know what they did but they did a number to the lower screw holes for the vent window. Got that all welded up and ground down and it came out looking good in my opinion. Doesn't need to be 'perfect' as it'll never be seen. NOW I am just waiting for my lower door repair panels to get here from Top Banana. Being a first time customer of theirs, I am not impressed by their shipping time and or customer service. I called them to see what was up with the order and all I got was the answering machine (yes I called during business hours ). I ordered my panels on the 2nd and they still haven't been shipped out.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2015, 10:08 PM   #25
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Thanks for the link to your thread. I'm tuned in.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote