The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2018, 06:53 PM   #1
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Re: Where's the 3/4 ton love?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyFox View Post
Here is my 1965 C20 - Oregon
Hello Oregonian.
What are those bumps either side of your back window?

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
oem4me

Found some more pics of the tan truck. The thing I really dig about this truck, besides the perfectly authentic patina, or original color scheme with blackwall tires, tinted windows, and side trim, is that this is one of the straightest trucks I have ever seen. Despite the obvious lack of pampering, there is hardly a ding in it. And not even a hint of what I call the "broken back" syndrome, which is so common in these old trucks. It's got the feeling sort of like an old man that could still kick your ass.

- Question: what's better for you guys that are interested, posting a million pics on this forum and hogging space, or providing a link to an independent photo hosting site? Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by oem4me; 11-21-2010 at 01:51 PM.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
justcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
Found some more pics of the tan truck. The thing I really dig about this truck, besides the perfectly authentic patina, or original color scheme with blackwall tires, tinted windows, and side trim, is that this is one of the straightest trucks I have ever seen. Despite the obvious lack of pampering, there is hardly a ding in it. And not even a hint of what I call the "broken back" syndrome, which is so common in these old trucks. It's got the feeling sort of like an old man that could still kick your ass.

- Question: what's better for you guys that are interested, posting a million pics on this forum and hogging space, or providing a link to an independent photo hosting site? Thanks
So you have a saginaw 3 spd with overdrive now and 4.10 gears? Did you swap out the rear end or just the drop out in the Eaton. I like the 60 through 62's because they had the torsion bar front ends, the ball joints on those front ends are beefy. The broken back syndrome you refer to, was that caused by the 3/4 ton rear cab mounts? I know the 3/4 tons had a different mount that was not as durable as the 1/2 ton rear cab mounts.

Rideblue00, my Mom lives over in Temperance, nice truck, you did not find that in Michigan did you?
justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #5
rideblue00

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
Rideblue00, my Mom lives over in Temperance, nice truck, you did not find that in Michigan did you?
Just west of toledo. Originally from Ohio like an hour south. Ur a long way from Temperance..lol
rideblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:23 PM   #6
justcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideblue00 View Post
Just west of toledo. Originally from Ohio like an hour south. Ur a long way from Temperance..lol
Yep, born in Toledo, moved to California in 1964. My folks moved back in 1970 after I graduated high school. I stayed here, but I get back at least once a year. Mom is in Temperance, cousins in Toledo, Findlay, Jackson, Mi. and Chicago. Was just back there for 10 days last month. My little sis lives down in Tennessee just outside of Bristol. I'm the only left coaster. I'll retire this year and have been thinking about a move depending on what my kids do.
justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:59 AM   #7
oem4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
So you have a saginaw 3 spd with overdrive now and 4.10 gears? Did you swap out the rear end or just the drop out in the Eaton. I like the 60 through 62's because they had the torsion bar front ends, the ball joints on those front ends are beefy. The broken back syndrome you refer to, was that caused by the 3/4 ton rear cab mounts? I know the 3/4 tons had a different mount that was not as durable as the 1/2 ton rear cab mounts.
The trans with O.D. came from a '57 passenger car, and I only swapped the gears in the rear end.
As for the cab mounts, to be honest, I'm not familiar with the differences between them, I've just noticed a heck of a lot of these trucks look as though they have a bad back. But you're right, it's probably bad mounts.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:07 PM   #8
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post

My personal preference is to have the photos posted here, because many of the links I've tried to view externally require an account password, or some other tech problem that either blocks the images or makes viewing them inconvenient.

I always post my photos on here using Imageshack, just because it's the first one I used, it worked, and is free. I just upload the photo, grab the link and when that is posted in the thread the picture shows up. There's also a way to create a gallery here on the site and link to that, but since I had a means that worked I never bothered to learn the process. One of the features I really enjoy about this site is they allow direct posting of photos. Some other sites only allow the posting of a link, which prevents the convenience of scrolling through a large volume of photos quickly.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Actually,
if you have the img on another site, all you have to do is;
-> [img] link to pic goes here [img]
for the trailing [img] put; /img in between the brackets.
This way the pic is hosted off site, but we don't have to go off site to view it.
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:25 PM   #10
rideblue00

Yep its a big window. I have a small window 66 1/2T in pieces...for like 17 years now. When the guy that sold me this one, told me it ran, .....I BOUGHT IT ! lol I do like the big window!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #11
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideblue00 View Post
Yep its a big window. I have a small window 66 1/2T in pieces...for like 17 years now. When the guy that sold me this one, told me it ran, .....I BOUGHT IT ! lol I do like the big window!
That is a very cool truck. Do you have plans for it yet, or just glad it's yours? And do you want to keep the split rims, or prefer to get something more modern? I've heard a lot of shops won't service them any more. And what size tires does it currently have on it.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:09 AM   #12
factorystock

Great interior shot oem4me, looks like your truck has the optional "custom comfort" option.I especially like rideblue00 '66, it looks like true survivor. It would sure be nice if a company like Wheel Vintiques would manufacture a 16" one piece wheel with clips and proper offset that would allow '48 thru '68 Chevy 3/4 tons trucks to run a popular size tire and keep the original hubcap.Here is a shot of an all original '66 GMC 3/4 ton. Notice how hubcaps on stock 3/4 rims have a positive offset! Also, for those GMC owners who are interested in original details, the factory painted the center bar between hood scoopes black, so it looks like one large scoop between the turn signals.This details is always lost when repainted.
Attached Images

factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:22 AM   #13
oem4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
Here is a shot of an all original '66 GMC 3/4 ton. Notice how hubcaps on stock 3/4 rims have a positive offset!.
Ha ha... to quote myself, that's the part that "screams DORK". Now don't get bothered about it, because I actually agree with you regarding the originality aspect, no matter if I think it looks dorky or not... but the serviceability and safety issue is unavoidable. In my view, a show truck requires the correct set-up regardless of the hassle or cost involved. Not so for a user truck.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:13 PM   #14
rideblue00

My plans are to just drive it for now. Floorpan and fenders are shot. As far as split rims go, if i could find new tires for it i would keep them.Tire size is 7.00-16. I have no idea how that would translate to newer sizes. I read in the 63 shop manual about changing them, it doesnt seem too bad. We have a local shop that does farm equip tires and they can do it they say. But probably have to go modern. My biggest concern is brakes. I havent looked into buying shoes at all. Its got that big axel and drum in back.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:23 AM   #15
sodly

Very cool truck, rideblue00.
sodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:07 PM   #16
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

here is a pic of the vulcanized 3/4 ton mount:
Attached Images

jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:22 AM   #17
DWitcher

Cab mount?
DWitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:45 AM   #18
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWitcher View Post
Cab mount?
yeah that is the rear cab mount for the 3/4 ton and bigger trucks.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:00 AM   #19
raycow

Is that what you mean by the "broken back" look - the rear of the cab drops down so it no longer lines up with the box?

Ray
Old 11-24-2010, 10:50 AM   #20
oem4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
Is that what you mean by the "broken back" look - the rear of the cab drops down so it no longer lines up with the box?

Ray
Yep. It produces a slightly V'ed effect in the body lines from cab to box and gives the appearance of a broken back.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:04 PM   #21
jimmydean

I can't wait to ditch those mounts.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:18 PM   #22
DWitcher

No doubt. I'll have to look under mine. Those have got to go.
DWitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:47 PM   #23
rideblue00

Yep the 3/4t mounts just dont last. I have to replace mine as well. Just the rears only tho. You have to get used 1/2t ones. Or there used to be a guy on here that had a bunch made and i got a pair from him. Cant remember his name or email. I will look it up and see if i can find him. His were really good quality. They looked almost exactly the same.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:35 PM   #24
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

If you can find a contact for lilred66 he is still reproducing them, I heard just the other day from another board member that he got a set a few weeks ago, and they were real nice.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:49 AM   #25
nbrfd007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
If you can find a contact for lilred66 he is still reproducing them, I heard just the other day from another board member that he got a set a few weeks ago, and they were real nice.
You can catch Tony in the Stovebolt Parts Forum.
nbrfd007 is offline   Reply With Quote