The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2017, 05:13 PM   #51
rsavage

Re: soft topper tops

I'm a long ways from finishing this Blazer, but I hope when I am ready for a softopper on this one, the door window will close like yours. This was my previous Blazer

2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:04 PM   #52
robs71k5
K5drive

Ok now my mind is getting a different portrait. The mount bracket needs to move inboard from the position it is now so the glass as it winds up stays on the out side . In my case this will likely have some bennifit. However and Until I make this adjustment I still don't think it will do anything for the rain coming from the top of the window Evan as little as it might be. But thanks for hanging in to drive the answer home . It's totally Awesome when we get dialed in to the correctness of it all . I will be making an adjustment on my blazer to accomadate and post my changes here .
robs71k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:02 PM   #53
rsavage

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs71k5 View Post
Ok now my mind is getting a different portrait. The mount bracket needs to move inboard from the position it is now so the glass as it winds up stays on the out side . In my case this will likely have some bennifit. However and Until I make this adjustment I still don't think it will do anything for the rain coming from the top of the window Evan as little as it might be. But thanks for hanging in to drive the answer home . It's totally Awesome when we get dialed in to the correctness of it all . I will be making an adjustment on my blazer to accomadate and post my changes here .
That may well be the answer, but if I remember correctly, the holes in the rails corresponded to hard top mounting locations didn't they? It's been awhile so maybe I am not remembering correctly.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
Old 09-29-2017, 11:22 PM   #54
robs71k5
K5drive

Sorry I will try to explain that portrait I in visioned now that I have a better understanding but before I do bare in mind that: I ordered my softopper with no holes drilled because I was uncertain of which holes belonged to what installation. So now I have installed my soft top rail flush with the inside edge of my quarter panel which may be correct but if I'm reading the picture the forward clip might need to be moved inboard more so that the window is just on the outside of the top and stays out side till it's at the top As it exists now my clip is 3/4 of an inch out board from where it should be. However that means I will have to make a bracket that moves the plastic pole retainer to the inside if the of the square tubes that came with softopper . Here is a picture that shows my window 3/4 of an inch inboard from my softop velcro strap now
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2017, 11:35 PM   #55
robs71k5
K5drive

So I made one comment that might throw you off. That being might need to fabricate a new bracket that moves the pole retainer inboard 3/4 of an inch. I noticed my installation is flush with the inside edge of the quarter panel and it will not meet with the bolt pattern form the Hardop locations if I move it further inboard as the bolts are at the edge already so my question is :was this addressed at softopper before they chose the hardware that came with it? My thinking is these holes on my quarter panel are common to most Blazers anyway not sure about jimmy's and in this belief I have to think it's every man for himself on the installation because it don't recall any information guiding the square tube on the inside of the quarters inside edge.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:56 AM   #56
grillzy

can you swap left rail for right rail?
grillzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:24 AM   #57
hemi43

Bend the Velcro strap. The window glass will naturally try to do this, but if yours is too tight just take the strap off and put a 20 degree bend in it. This is also a good time to replace the rivets that were used from the manufacturer because all of mine failed.
If you take a look at the picture I posted a few days ago, you can see the angle that my Velcro strap is at.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:25 AM   #58
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by grillzy View Post
can you swap left rail for right rail?
No ! The tab in the middle of the rail as well as the rear clip are right and left specific.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:37 AM   #59
hemi43

OK, I went out and took a picture of mine at the same picture angle as yours. I can now see why you're having such difficulty. I also think your rail may be about 1/4 further forward than mine which would give the window glass less leverage to bend the velcro strap. Also note the size of the rivet heads I used. The originals were so small in diameter that the heads pulled right out of the straps on both sides.
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2017, 03:54 PM   #60
robs71k5
K5drive

Gotcha. You know I'm tempted to replace that velcro price with a formed price of sheet metal that will hold the shape and keep the glass parallel. As for the top of the window I will need a new door or a modification to the door to pull the vent window frame out of the body of the door so the window fits into it properly the vent window post on my After market is incorrect and doesn't allow the proper installation of the window with the seal . crap door ! I have to admit I got hosed when I bought these doors and let that be a warning for everyone to watch out for when buying in the after market world Thanks again for sharing your input
Old 10-02-2017, 06:13 PM   #61
jondancer

With these tops can you roll the sides and back up and just have flat top
Covering the passengers ?
jondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:49 PM   #62
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondancer View Post
With these tops can you roll the sides and back up and just have flat top
Covering the passengers ?
yup!
Old 10-02-2017, 06:57 PM   #63
grillzy

safari style!
Old 10-03-2017, 01:11 AM   #64
Blazerowner

I've been pretty busy to get back on here but the pictures help a lot. I do remember trying to pull the rail back to give more room. Mine were drilled from the factory. Maybe I should elongate the holes. I have a single wall top so I have the cage nuts to give me some back and forth adjustment. They are pushed as far back as they will go so I actually would have less room moved forward. I suppose there could have been some measuring issues from the factory. I had this happen with my carpet so why not with the rails. One side is worse than the other.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:43 PM   #65
robs71k5
K5drive

I did a little mod to close the gap. A little different but same result.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2017, 01:15 PM   #66
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs71k5 View Post
I did a little mod to close the gap. A little different but same result.
Interesting ! Take a picture with the top on. I'm curious as how things will fit.
BTW, what are those other brackets for? is it for a hoop that goes over the top to carry a canoe or something?
Old 10-05-2017, 08:35 PM   #67
robs71k5
K5drive

Yes the top is the start of my chalet in the works it will be integral to the windshield when completed . I just wanted to get the rest of my unit built before closing it all in and the pop up topper will be on top before Xmas but too late for this year but dialed in for next spring .
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2017, 08:47 PM   #68
robs71k5
K5drive

Been working on this a while because I didn't like having to remove the roll bar when I needed th chalet so when his is an improvised attempt to skating around that issue . I don't think you will notice any difference other than a peak hole at the top of the door where the first dome on the quarter panel meet .
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2017, 08:50 PM   #69
robs71k5
K5drive

Window up
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2018, 10:11 PM   #70
wishmasstir

I have a second gen but does anybody have a picture of the top down? i want to see what the frame does when its down, i see in the back it wraps over the tailgate but what about the front cab section?
wishmasstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:21 PM   #71
grillzy

The front bar folds back to meet up with the rear bar. I have soft topper on first and third gens. see video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB-7jTGW1us
Old 02-27-2018, 10:27 PM   #72
wishmasstir

Okay so end of the video, the rails at the cab are left on it. Do they not come off? They are basically the window frame area
wishmasstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:22 PM   #73
rsavage

On my 71, the small rails from the windshield corner to the first loop and the first loop can be removed with small thumb screws if I remember correctly. I only put it down a couple of times. It is a pain to fold the windows in and wrap the top and windows around the frames without worrying about wrecking the plastic windows. I also didn't like the way it hung in the back. Definitely not a one man job to fold/wrap it right. However, I believe that the side windows rolled up and the back window either rolled up or removed was perfect. I had lots of air with no beating sun on me or the interior. I plan on putting another one on my '69 when I finish restoring it.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
Old 03-06-2018, 08:50 AM   #74
glove

I am new here, but was a original owner of a 1972 Highlander plaid blazer that I ordered when I was 21. I sold it after 4 years. Some 40 + years later I picked up another 1972 blazer out of California. About 90 percent complete. I wanted to mention that I had a witch soft top on my old blazer that was second to none for fit air and water tight. I was shocked to discover that witco tops did not survive. I need to get soft top for my restored blazer but not sure what to get. I am considering a custom built top.
glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:14 AM   #75
72gmguy

The Softopper is a good top. I have read about people trying to have custom tops built for years on this forum and it never seems to work out. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just mentioning what I've seen over the years.

1969 Blazer 4x4 original cst
1971 Blazer partial 2wd convert
1972 Blazer 4x4 original cst
1970 Blazer 4x4 w/ 2 1/2in lift and 33in tires w/4 wheel camper
1970 4x4 suburban w/ 6in lift and 35in tires
1968 Corvette convertible
1970 Malibu convertible
1959 Brookwood wagon
1972 International Scout ii
72gmguy is offline   Reply With Quote