The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2020, 03:45 PM   #1
AllGoNoShow

Speedway motors Ford 9 inch?

Was running the numbers for rebuilding my 12 bolt and came across the Speedway Motors Ford 9inch they make in house, specifically for the 67-72 trucks with the trailing arm perches already welded on. It’s only $500 and if I wanted to use their third member (the manufacture of the posi and gears is not listed so I assume they are off brand) I could have it all put together for less than $2K.

Anyone have any experience with one? Not interested in a Ford debate- just looking for new options as I figure I will be in my current rearend rebuilt (accounting for the tools I would buy to set it up myself or have someone do it for me) for as much as there whole rearend is.

Nick
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:05 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Speedway motors Ford 9 inch?

I have seen a few friends use them, and the housing is as good as anything the factory put out from what I have seen. Just with the best factory stuff.

So unless your shooting for the stars HP wise it will be more then good enough.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 12:54 PM   #3
Jackson's Dad 64 C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
Was running the numbers for rebuilding my 12 bolt and came across the Speedway Motors Ford 9inch they make in house, specifically for the 67-72 trucks with the trailing arm perches already welded on. It’s only $500 and if I wanted to use their third member (the manufacture of the posi and gears is not listed so I assume they are off brand) I could have it all put together for less than $2K.

Anyone have any experience with one? Not interested in a Ford debate- just looking for new options as I figure I will be in my current rearend rebuilt (accounting for the tools I would buy to set it up myself or have someone do it for me) for as much as there whole rearend is.

Nick
Nick,
I am going through rear end selection right now, and haven’t seen the speedway unit that is specific to our trucks (with the trailing arm perches). Can you link to what you’re seeing? Thanks’

Chris
Jackson's Dad 64 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:19 PM   #4
LS short box

Another option might be Quick Performance out of Iowa. They build a ton of different 9' combos.
Nothing against Speedway. I've bought a ton of stuff from them over the years. One thing to check is the u-joint size. Many use the small 1310 size. If you are building from scratch you might as well upgrade to the 1350 u-joints. Also check housing ends to see if they are compatible with your stock stuff.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:08 PM   #5
AussieinNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson's Dad 64 C10 View Post
Nick,
I am going through rear end selection right now, and haven’t seen the speedway unit that is specific to our trucks (with the trailing arm perches). Can you link to what you’re seeing? Thanks’

Chris
Here is the Speedway Motors page link

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Bolt-...cks,80935.html

The image shows a leaf spring housing, however, the text mentions railing arms...I would be triple checking the mounting design before spending any dollars...

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:47 PM   #6
The Rocknrod

Wow, you can't hardly beat that price.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:16 PM   #7
AussieinNC

Remember, the price listed is for the bare housing only....

Axles, center, seals etc are all extra...

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:25 AM   #8
AllGoNoShow

Upon doing a little more research, I’d probably just use the housing and put a different, name brand third member in it as it seems Speedway Motors stuff is more directed to mild engines. Even though my engine won’t be there yet, I’m trying to get all the drivetrain to be built to handle 550-600hp so I just have to do it once.

Still trying to figure out if I want to spend $400+ on tools and beef up the 12 bolt or just buy a 9” I can put together for a fairly comparable amount. Decisions, decisions.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:54 AM   #9
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Upon doing a little more research, I’d probably just use the housing and put a different, name brand third member in it as it seems Speedway Motors stuff is more directed to mild engines. Even though my engine won’t be there yet, I’m trying to get all the drivetrain to be built to handle 550-600hp so I just have to do it once.

Still trying to figure out if I want to spend $400+ on tools and beef up the 12 bolt or just buy a 9” I can put together for a fairly comparable amount. Decisions, decisions.
Have you looked at the Fab 9 inch or equivalent? They offer thicker tubes, and work better toward the 600hp range. By keeping everything aligned.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:06 PM   #10
EVRLET

I have this housing collecting dust and no I’m not trying to sell it. Here’s some pics of quality. I’ll let you judge for yourself. Want more pics, let me know
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2020, 10:09 PM   #11
EVRLET

More pics
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2020, 09:33 PM   #12
68c10owner

I would highly recommend Quick Performance. Ive never looked to see if they have a truck housing kit but they have one for just about every other car and their prices are tough to beat. Plus they can do custom widths for you too. I bought one of their kits for a old chevelle project and the housing fab work was top quality.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:38 AM   #13
AllGoNoShow

Thanks for the pictures. You can definetly tell they use a reclaimed housing (looks a bit rough)- welds on tubes and perches look great, but not that good on the panhard rod attachment they added. What are your thoughts on the quality having seen it in person?

Did a bit more math and it looks like I can rebuild the 12 bolt as stout as I really can (Detroit Trutrac, Moser axles, richomond gears, rebuild kit, Moser rearend cover, 1350 pinion yoke) for about $1,400 not including the tools which will be another couple hundred. Leaning a little bit that way now.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:16 PM   #14
LS short box

If you decide to go with the 12 bolt I would weld the axle tubes to the center section. Also if you buy Moser axles you might think buying them with a 4.75" bolt circle. Lot more wheel choices with 4.75" bolt circle. You can convert the front hubs also.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:39 PM   #15
68c10owner

Quote:
Thanks for the pictures. You can definetly tell they use a reclaimed housing (looks a bit rough)- welds on tubes and perches look great, but not that good on the panhard rod attachment they added. What are your thoughts on the quality having seen it in person?

Did a bit more math and it looks like I can rebuild the 12 bolt as stout as I really can (Detroit Trutrac, Moser axles, richomond gears, rebuild kit, Moser rearend cover, 1350 pinion yoke) for about $1,400 not including the tools which will be another couple hundred. Leaning a little bit that way now.
Almost all 9" housing that are sold through the shops are "reclaimed" housings. Very few are actually new housings. This isnt a big deal though. Quality welds are important. Ill have to go back and see if I missed the rest of the drivetrain but you can build a truck 12 bolt pretty strong. I`d still recommend Quick Performance for the internal parts.