The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2020, 05:46 PM   #1
Daze57

manual cable release for solenoid doors

Hey guys/and or gals

Working on my 57 TF pickup---i did the shaved door handle thing with solenoids and wired it all up ---all works well ;
My question is this . i want to put in a manual cable release in case of a dead battery ,..I was wondering if anyone has done this in a 57 . how did you mount it ? did you go thru the hinge pocket ? or thru the area around the kickpanal by the side vent? thru the large area behind the fender ? --looking for ideas from anyone who has done this .
i know about the emergency release button set up but i am lookin for a manual set up to run under fender.
Any advice or help is appreciated and pictures are always a help .

Thank you all very much.
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:39 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: manual cable release for solenoid doors

It would probably end up being more for dead solenoid than dead battery.

I'm using this as an example but there are jumper cable lugs that you can hook cables to the rig without opening the hood or door. Used by guys who jump other folks rigs a lot. That means you have to find someone with cables if you aren't at home though.

I'm going to say on that truck you are going to have to go though a hinge pocket or though one of those setups that guys run their electrical cables though for the electrics in the doors. then get it routed under the hood or to a spot you can reach from outside if you put a cable operated latch on the hood.

Finding a smooth route where you won't bind the cable up might be the challenge.

My AD was easy in comparison, I just ran a rod down and through a hole drilled in the bottom of the door and had it stick out far enough to grab with a pair of pliers or special made tool on your key chain that slipped over the rod and could pull it. Can't do that on a TF though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:20 PM   #3
_Ogre

never had a dead solenoid in 10 years, just a plethora of reasons for backup cables
i've needed to use my safety/backup cables more often that i'd like to admit
the remote system i use will kill a battery in a week if i don't drive truk or keep battery tender plugged in
come in turn off truk, read a couple of texts, get out and close door with keys hanging you-know-where
i use cable to pull my door latches with the solenoid, they've worn thru twice
there is also a backup cable in my arm rest grab hole

i used bicycle brake cables for my safety cables
the sheathing will route thru doors around corners and move with the doors
you just need to use the little adjusting barrel fitting on each end like your bike does

mine is attached at the solenoid bracket in the door, thru my door harness "loom" around kick speakers and run all the way to the firewall under each hood hinge
very convoluted path but still work very easily

this is the fitting you need at both ends of the cable sheathing, the threads are 1/4 20 to lock it in place
truk needed 5 safety cables: both doors, truk trunk, tonneou cover and gas door
look around local stores for the parts. i sourced sheathing locally, ebay for the barrel adjusters

cable ends come out next to the lower bolt on the hood hinge
now i have to kill each person that reads this
Attached Images

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:50 AM   #4
Daze57

Ogre
Thank you for your post --ive seen truk here alot --first of all i want to tell you that truk is beautiful --you did a outstanding job on all of it --a true work of art .
Old 11-25-2020, 11:14 AM   #5
dsraven

yup, second that ogre. your truck looks great and has lots of innovative ideas for getting the job done tastefully. good on you for always being there for the members who have questions and not being afraid to post up some pics of your work. I am sure some guys say "what the heck" when they see some of the things you have done on the inside, for creature comforts, or the outside for the cool factor and useability and just to get things looking right and working. some are minimalists with a 5 gallon pail for a seat and a pair of vice grips snapped on for a shifter. that works too I guess and to each their own. then there is truk. steel, wood, fiberglass, stainless and innovation. and drivable anywhere. great job.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 02:38 PM   #6
_Ogre

thanks guys!
daze57 post up what you get working, my idea or yours
love that avatar

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:19 PM   #7
jwhotrod

whatever you do, DO NOT leave yourself without door handles on the inside of your truck. a friend bought a 54 F100 and the guy that built it shaved both inside and outside door handles leaving no mechanical way out. he had an electrical short in the door wiring, causing the truck to fill with smoke and no way out. We broke the window and got him out but it was enough to scare me half to death. leave the door handles inside, it doesnt matter if you can get i, but you need to be able to get out. my two cents worth.
jwhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:29 AM   #8
Daze57

jwhotrod

Sir thank you v v much for advice ---inside door handles have remained !!---so because of your story they are REALLY stayin on