The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2019, 04:25 PM   #1
Livemeyer

Old Skool wiper arms

Wow. When old guys say they don't make things like they used to, these wiper arms are exactly what they're talking about. I don't even think my wipers work, but before I even get that far I thought I should at least have some new wipers on there to act the part. So I bought these Trico wipers from Advance Auto Parts, shipped to my home, $9.99 each. They say they fit blade style with the adapter, or J-style. Well... my arms have a sort of blade style with a screw-in mount that change to a J-style. I thought it would be easy to replace these blades with these options, except nothing comes apart. Except of course, where it was intended at the spots with the screws. I thought I could get the J-hook to come out of the old wiper blade. No. I thought I could remove the round plate screw-in receiver from the blade arm. No. I even put a drill bit through the detent hole, I thought that was what was holding it on. Even after that, using a vice as resistance I still couldn't get the end to come off. It seems these parts, and this steel, is so tough I can't get it to come apart unless I destroy it. So what are my options? Are there reproduction arms I can get with J-hook or blade style?
Attached Images

Livemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:26 PM   #2
Livemeyer

Re: Old Skool wiper arms

Picture 2 and 3 are of the new blade, 1 and 4 show the original.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:21 PM   #3
mick53

Why can't you use OEM? I bet a bunch of people have an old set laying around and I would think the rubber is available. I have an old set at home but I'm not there.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:42 AM   #4
Livemeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
Why can't you use OEM? I bet a bunch of people have an old set laying around and I would think the rubber is available. I have an old set at home but I'm not there.
I'm not sure what you mean by OEM. I'd like to keep using the wiper arms, but how to get new blades? As far as I know they don't just sell the blade alone anymore, particularly in an odd size like 10" or 12", or am I wrong? I mean, I did search common auto parts stores in my area. Or do you mean OEM like go to the Chevy dealer? I doubt that's where I'd find them. I suppose I can try searching again, this just happened to be what came up on Advance Auto and it indicated these Trico style were replacements for the original style, but apparently not. I guess I'm trying to figure out just that - are these ones with the screw the factory original style? Or do I have something "uncommon?"

Actually, I thought I'd go the route you mentioned, using just the replacement rubber. So I removed the rubber from the new 12" blade and put it in the old. Clearly, that wasn't ideal, as the originals are 10".

I found a listing for the same Trico classic wiper blades but in 10" size on eBay, but that's going to cost me $30 for the pair, and I'd still have to pull the rubber out and use them on the original mounts. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trico-Class...oAAOSwf~9ZYM7e

When I ask Advance Auto Parts for a new wiper blade to fit a 1951 Chevy Truck, I get this: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...m=wiper+blades

Or this, which is what I ordered: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...m=wiper+blades
Old 07-11-2019, 12:48 AM   #5
Livemeyer

I took a look at Brothers Trucks and they sell a complete set of wiper arms and blades for $50.
https://www.brotherstrucks.com/47-53...tinfo/WAS7253/

I didn't think I needed to go that route since my arms are in pretty good shape, but maybe that's what I gotta do to get the blade type mount for the wiper.

I guess what I'm really looking for here is, has anyone ever seen this screw type end? And did they figure a way around it, or did they use it?
Old 07-12-2019, 12:14 AM   #6
mr48chev

When I was out taking my sunset photos I took a shot of the original wiper arm on the 51 cab I moved back under the trees today. Name:  IMG_4890.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  38.3 KB
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote