The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
asolde

New rear side panels

Need some advice on how ot install these panels in my truck. Seems like they are to tight to fit into the chrome strip. In other words the panels are to high with the carpet installed on the wheel well housings to fit nicely into the chrome strip. Any ideas or what have you done to install your panels?

1) Elongate the mounting holes on the chrome strip to gain about an 1/8" higher in mounting the chrome strip. That would loosen the fit up a little but the chrome strip will be even with the top of the bed rails. Shouldn't look bad.

2) Take the carpet off the wheel well housings. Gonna be hard because I glued them on. But I would gain the thickness of the carpet and loosen it up a little.

3) There is no way for me to trim the panel so thats out of the question.
Attached Images

asolde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #2
SeventyOne

Re: New rear side panels

Elongating the holes seems like an ok option.

Or instead of removing the carpet from the tubs, why not cut them where the panel hits them so the carpet comes up flush with the panel but all material is removed under/behind the panel.
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:49 PM   #3
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

I'd trim the carpet. I thought that the carpet for the CST models with the rear side panels only went up to meet the panels anyway. I've never seen it, just assumed since it is listed different in the catalogs and the carpet on the floor looks like it also stops at the panels.

Carpet kits are cheaper than the repop panels and the chrome strips are not produced.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:43 AM   #4
grillzy

I don't understand why the panels are not offered for carpet or without. I myself would pull back the bottom of panel and trim the backing board.
grillzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:21 AM   #5
68panelman

I'm with Bouncy on this one too.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:23 PM   #6
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Floor carpet does not go under the panels. Wheel hump carpet, like kick panel and door-bottom carpet, I'm pretty sure is an aftermarket-ism, and doesn't fit under them either. I would personally trim the carpet, as it's the cheapest option should something bad happen in the process...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:19 PM   #7
drillrod

Where did you get your side panels and carpet from? I am getting ready to purchase mine and BROTHERS is the only company I have found that offers blue side panels. Everyone else I have found only offers black!
drillrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:46 PM   #8
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Alex I experienced the same. I was able to wedge mine into place not trimming the carpet but believe I have more a more noisy ride as a result. I would remove a strip of carpet, which wasn't in place when the K5 left GM anyway. I matched my old with my new and used a marker to place the holes for the trim screws.

As an aside, I'm curious what you think of the quality. I felt these to be superior to OEM. The stitching is hand done from what I know. For others, these new panels use melamine-like backing rather than the cardboard found on OEM pieces.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #9
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by drillrod View Post
Where did you get your side panels and carpet from? I am getting ready to purchase mine and BROTHERS is the only company I have found that offers blue side panels. Everyone else I have found only offers black!
Send a PM to member Truckseats - he supplies these.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:43 PM   #10
cleszkie

I experienced the same issue when I installed my new side panels with carpet on wheel wells. I ultimately ended up gently peeling the vinyl off the backing board, trimming the board, and them reapplying the vinyl with staple gun. It is important to note that I had to trim not only the bottom edge of the boards, but I also had to trim around the wheel well opennings as well to get the panel to drop down and fit the wheel well properly. If you only trim trhe bottom edges, the panels will not drop down. It was a bit of work, but I didn't want to trim the carpet and chance it fraying without a proper hem on the cut edges, and I wanted to keep the carpet on the wheel well. I know it is hard to imaging cutting up your new $500 panels, but it is worth it after you see how nice they look installed. Good luck.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:29 PM   #11
Jlo1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
I experienced the same issue when I installed my new side panels with carpet on wheel wells. I ultimately ended up gently peeling the vinyl off the backing board, trimming the board, and them reapplying the vinyl with staple gun. It is important to note that I had to trim not only the bottom edge of the boards, but I also had to trim around the wheel well opennings as well to get the panel to drop down and fit the wheel well properly. If you only trim trhe bottom edges, the panels will not drop down. It was a bit of work, but I didn't want to trim the carpet and chance it fraying without a proper hem on the cut edges, and I wanted to keep the carpet on the wheel well. I know it is hard to imaging cutting up your new $500 panels, but it is worth it after you see how nice they look installed. Good luck.
Any pictures?

1972 Blazer 2WD
1986 Chevy Silverado (Black)
1986 Chevy Silverado (Blue)
Jlo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:23 PM   #12
cleszkie

Not the best pictures, but you get the idea.
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2015, 09:45 PM   #13
drillrod

Cleszkie, is that a Hickey roll bar in your blazer? I was wondering if you could post some pictures of where the feet of the roll bar mount in relation to the side panels. It looks like they may partially be under the side panels. I am trying to fix a hickey roll bar that I bought that someone had shortened the legs on. Thanks a lot, Drillrod
Old 02-10-2015, 01:22 AM   #14
Blazerowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
Not the best pictures, but you get the idea.
The reason they don't fit is because there was never carpet on the wheel wells from the factory. Not sure if someone said that, but I didn't read all the posts. I would consider pulling the vinyl up a trimming the board like Cleszkie did. By the way nice sliders in the top.
Blazerowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:24 PM   #15
cleszkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drillrod View Post
Cleszkie, is that a Hickey roll bar in your blazer? I was wondering if you could post some pictures of where the feet of the roll bar mount in relation to the side panels. It looks like they may partially be under the side panels. I am trying to fix a hickey roll bar that I bought that someone had shortened the legs on. Thanks a lot, Drillrod
Yes it is a Hickey bar. Two of the mounting bolts on each foot are under the side panel in my Blazer. However, these old roll bars were bent and welded by hand so the dimensions can vary from bar to bar. My bar originally was not centered properly on the mounting feet (too much gap between leg and side panel on one side). So I cut the mounting feet off and rewelded them so that the bar was centered properly. I don't know that pictures of my bar would help you out. You just have to do some dry runs with the fit and make adjustments accordingly. I think someone posted some dimensions of thier Hickey bar a while back that could help you, but I think the search function has been removed.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:56 PM   #16
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543001

Google search box up top still works just have to make sure to click on 67-72 trucks

Richard
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:14 PM   #17
drillrod

Thanks cleszkie, that helps a lot! By the way, NICE K5!

Last edited by drillrod; 02-10-2015 at 09:22 PM. Reason: addendum
Old 02-12-2015, 07:20 PM   #18
Jlo1986

I just had these panels cut from a diagram on this site. I used 3/16 plywood.
Attached Images

1972 Blazer 2WD
1986 Chevy Silverado (Black)
1986 Chevy Silverado (Blue)
Jlo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:59 PM   #19
1956cameo

Just a heads up to anyone who might be interested. The Truck Shop in Orange California has Blazer and Suburban side panels in Black, Blue, Green, or Parchment. They are listed for $550 a pair. I can't vouch for the quality because I have not purchase them yet but everything else that I get from the Truck Shop is good quality.

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote